Practice Review

Leatherneck57

Here’s a recap for the practice I attended that I shared with the parents of the players.

My general observation is the practices are very organized, precise and to the schedule.  I can tell the kids have really come together over the summer and during the first two weeks of camp.  Practice started at 3:10 with kickers, special teams at 3:20 and everyone else at 3:30.  It’s non-stop for 1-1/2 hours.  

Everyone is competing for playing time and it’s fun to see the kids hype when a great play is made on both sides of the ball.  There is excitement in the air and you can feel it.  There is no nonsense going on…it’s all business.

Offense
Offense is quick, fast and no huddle and signaled in from the sidelines.

I can’t remember the last time I saw this much depth and talent at QB, RB, WR and our new position hybrid TE.  Our offensive line is big, young and working hard.  

QB
Our QB’s are battling and we have several strong candidates that can general the offense.  A couple really stand out with their ability to be a duel threat…running and passing!  

WR
We are 9-10 deep at the WR and Slot position and none of those kids or combinations will hurt you.  A couple of freshman who don’t look like freshman will make defenses pay attention.

RB
Again…I haven’t seen this much depth in the backfield for years.  Any of these kids can hurt you with their legs or catching passes out of the backfield.  Love the competition going on here.  We are young at this position with one exception.

Hybrid TE
Any one of these kids can catch the ball, block and be a threat in our offensive scheme.  They all possess the skills to block and catch passes.

O Line
All of our O lineman have at least 2 years of eligibility or more so look for this to be a strong deep group for several years.  There will be some freshman that will make an impact throughout the season.  We have 4-O lineman commits for the 2023 class already.

Offensively we will be able to put some points up but more importantly I believe we will have a much needed running attack!  Can’t wait to see these kids perform in 3 weeks in Martin, TN!

Stay tuned for Defense
Leatherneck57

Defense

We have some really good coaches on this side of the ball.  They have done a great job with this talented but young group.  All of the defensive players have at least 2 years of eligibility with the exception of one D lineman.  They’re goal is to keep offenses guessing by moving around and stunting.

D Line 
We will be big but young here.  We are relying on several transfers and freshman to step up and make a difference right away.  Coach Curry knows what he’s doing and I’m sure this group will respond to his experience and coaching.  

LB’s
Strong deep young group both inside and outside!  We have some returning talent and only one will graduate at the end of the season but we will rely on transfers to solidify this group.  We have a couple of freshman that will see playing time throughout the season as well and will be good for years to come.

DB’s
The group is deep but young and Coach Savage has several rotations that won’t hurt you at both corner and safety.  A couple of transfers and freshman will give this group depth for a few years.

Special Teams
Coach Preifer knows what he’s doing here and should being around it all his life.  We will be solid here with the addition of a couple of transfer punters and a lot of underclassman getting a chance to be on the field and contribute to the success of the third phase of a football game.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams!

#PTR #NECKup
PoundTheRock

I found this nice news report with some practice footage but never saw it posted to twitter or anywhere else. I think the team is looking good.

letsgonecks

PoundTheRock wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:43 pm I found this nice news report with some practice footage but never saw it posted to twitter or anywhere else. I think the team is looking good.

Can anyone confirm that #12 was Nick Davenport in the video.  Looked like him and seemed to be a lot of footage of him making throws to potential first team guys.  Good looking throws.

Some shots of Mark Hendrickson in there as well, so matches up with Lawson's breaking news early.

Leatherneck57

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:19 pm
PoundTheRock wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:43 pm I found this nice news report with some practice footage but never saw it posted to twitter or anywhere else. I think the team is looking good.

Can anyone confirm that #12 was Nick Davenport in the video.  Looked like him and seemed to be a lot of footage of him making throws to potential first team guys.  Good looking throws.

Some shots of Mark Hendrickson in there as well, so matches up with Lawson's breaking news early.

Yes…Nick Davenport is #12 in the red practice jersey.

letsgonecks

Leatherneck57 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:14 am
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:19 pm

Yes…Nick Davenport is #12 in the red practice jersey.

Thanks 57.

Excited for the first depth chart and obviously the game next Thursday.  High hopes!!!!