Athlete Training Table

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

Dumb question here but I hope someone can provide some insight.  First, I assume that some athletes do live on campus. Second, for those living on campus, I assume they are "blessed" with the same meal plan as other students, which means they pay for all meal items "a la carte", i.e. no all-you-care-to-eat possibilities like it was from back in my day.  For the life of me, I cannot imagine how many Rocky meal dollars it might take to fuel up a 300+ pound lineman during the season.  Living off campus, cooking your own meals is a different story and more manageable assuming kids like to cook a bit.  So what does our athlete training table generally look like, in-season, off-season, summer camp, etc?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Lholder70

I was on the football team a few years back and the training table was a few nights a week with great food available for the athletes. However, like you said, I lived on campus and had to eat off campus after practices because most of the dining halls were closed. 

I rarely ran out of meal plan money. 
RiderJake

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 pm Dumb question here but I hope someone can provide some insight.  First, I assume that some athletes do live on campus. Second, for those living on campus, I assume they are "blessed" with the same meal plan as other students, which means they pay for all meal items "a la carte", i.e. no all-you-care-to-eat possibilities like it was from back in my day.  For the life of me, I cannot imagine how many Rocky meal dollars it might take to fuel up a 300+ pound lineman during the season.  Living off campus, cooking your own meals is a different story and more manageable assuming kids like to cook a bit.  So what does our athlete training table generally look like, in-season, off-season, summer camp, etc?

Personally, I enjoy cooking for myself more than eating pre-prepared food. I seem to have more confidence in the quality of the food.

Last edited by RiderJake on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GV Dad

Again, speaking for the football players, Summer is the worst.  The Fresh and Soph are in the dorms June and July with no food service open other than the Union, and I believe they have reduced hours and options.  The players either cook in their rooms, hot plates and microwaves, go out to eat, or cook in the common area of the dorm.  It's not a good setup at all!  Hopefully we can get that changed in the future.  I know enrollment is going back up and the school seems to be getting to a better place financially.  Our Parents and Family group donated cash and supplies for the fueling station in the weight room so the boys could grab some things before/after their workouts.  
RiderJake

Restaurant food can hardly be called quality food. Well, I don't trust it. Not to mention some vending machines with "food" - it's not food. And that's my opinion.
Maybe the boys would be better off enrolling in cooking classes or getting their own chefs. :)