Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

WIU0812 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:11 pm I have mixed feelings after hearing the press release as they released info on how they made up for the extra 20 million in construction cost by stating they pulled the money from a requested future projects funding which is likely the Science center. I find that the performing arts center will be great  addition and I respect the arts part of university but felt that the Science Center would effect more student educational opportunities and draw more of the medical and science fields to our school, though I could be wrong.. Waggoner and Currens always seemed very low level for university science facilities. I also felt it tougher to swallow the 20 million lost knowing the PAC is 30000 SF smaller and with a smaller main theater and only 2 theaters instead of 3. 

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=18761

Only a guess, but I would think the $20M is being taken from QC projects, not Macomb projects. 

WIU0812

That may be true, only thing I know is the Science Building had been turned in to CDB for funding and funds had supposedly been allocated but not release which could take years to release and last I heard PH3 of quad cities was in design phase. I would be much happier to hear that they found way to move money from phase 3 of quad cities but if that has not been turned in for funding I have doubts its that project. I have bad feeling that the Science project is going to take a big hit. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:11 pm I have mixed feelings after hearing the press release as they released info on how they made up for the extra 20 million in construction cost by stating they pulled the money from a requested future projects funding which is likely the Science center. I find that the performing arts center will be great  addition and I respect the arts part of university but felt that the Science Center would effect more student educational opportunities and draw more of the medical and science fields to our school, though I could be wrong.. Waggoner and Currens always seemed very low level for university science facilities. I also felt it tougher to swallow the 20 million lost knowing the PAC is 30000 SF smaller and with a smaller main theater and only 2 theaters instead of 3. 

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=18761

Unfortunately with the direction that costs of labor and materials is heading, I think it was either this or nothing. What we'd originally wanted probably would have been closer to 150 or 160 by now.
Am I disappointed we're not getting the original plans of 3 theaters with the largest being 1400...yes.
Am I happy that this is finally happening and think it will still be huge for the university and the community...also yes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Yes I am happy to see this is going forward I just didn't expect it to come at a fairly major expense of another project especially after removing staff offices, removing an entire theater and downsizing the main theater by  40%. I did see mention that this will consolidate the arts major classes into one building instead of spread across campus I would be interested to know what buildings other than Browe will be effected as hopefully they can remodel those new empty spaces in near future to enhance other programs within existing buildings. 
wiu712

The WGEM news story mentioned that the main auditorium would have 850 seats.

The original plan was for 1,400 seats.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:47 pm The WGEM news story mentioned that the main auditorium would have 850 seats.

The original plan was for 1,400 seats.

Yup, 850 is what the governor said as well.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Happy for the students and faculty that it is finally going to happen.  But also sad that, no matter what size it is, we ain't getting bands and such like we did way back in the 70s.

https://collections.carli.illinois.edu/ ... 5500/rec/7

Wow, how about the Waikiki spring break trip for $369.  The good ole days for sure.   :lol:

Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

The new large theater is not really a "Rock Band" venue but more for WIU and visiting theater.  After the number 850 was mentioned I got the urge to see just how large a venue like the Goodman Theater is in downtown Chicago.  I have attended a whole host of musicals there throughout the years and it really is a class place for "big time: Broadway shows.  856 is the seating capacity for the Goodman!  I think 850 will fit just fine! ;)
 jc

sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 am The new large theater is not really a "Rock Band" venue but more for WIU and visiting theater.  After the number 850 was mentioned I got the urge to see just how large a venue like the Goodman Theater is in downtown Chicago.  I have attended a whole host of musicals there throughout the years and it really is a class place for "big time: Broadway shows.  856 is the seating capacity for the Goodman!  I think 850 will fit just fine! ;)
 jc

My opinion was more about society than the PAC.  Performing acts these days would rather sell out a single 20K seat arena one night a month in a big metropolitan area than hit 3 or 4 different 5K seat venues out in the sticks somewhere. Did not Gaffers even pull in some pretty decent bands back in the day?  I think I only snuck in there once because I was "under age".  lol

Clicker apparently was a frequent visitor there or so says the internet so it must be true.
https://collections.carli.illinois.edu/ ... 4317/rec/5

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:13 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 am The new large theater is not really a "Rock Band" venue but more for WIU and visiting theater.  After the number 850 was mentioned I got the urge to see just how large a venue like the Goodman Theater is in downtown Chicago.  I have attended a whole host of musicals there throughout the years and it really is a class place for "big time: Broadway shows.  856 is the seating capacity for the Goodman!  I think 850 will fit just fine! ;)
 jc

My opinion was more about society than the PAC.  Performing acts these days would rather sell out a single 20K seat arena one night a month in a big metropolitan area than hit 3 or 4 different 5K seat venues out in the sticks somewhere. Did not Gaffers even pull in some pretty decent bands back in the day?  I think I only snuck in there once because I was "under age".  lol

Clicker apparently was a frequent visitor there or so says the internet so it must be true.
https://collections.carli.illinois.edu/ ... 4317/rec/5

Gaffer's always had good bands. I don't remember the name of the group I'm thinking of, but they did their first set as a "regular" bar band, then came back after their intermission dressed in white tuxes and tails and did some oldies big band stuff. They were great! Also saw REO there - obviously, they were fantastic!