10/22/22 - vs Youngstown State (Homecoming)

4EverPurple&Gold

MB1965 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:53 pm I had to take some time before writing this as I was too upset Saturday night and all day Sunday. The Youngtown state coaches should be sending our HC/OC Meyers Hendrickson a BIG thank you card for the bonehead decision to call a pass play on 3rd and 3 with time ticking down while holding a 2 point lead  :roll: Call a run play and Youngtown is forced to call their last time out! This game was not lost on the field of play, it was lost on the sideline in the coaches box  :oops:

100% agree... 

Coach cost the guys on this one. If I am Paul Bubb, your telling Coach that can't happen again.
MB1965

I have been asking all season who was the OC, turns out its the HC. The lack of offensive production is in his lap solely. Let me ask....what made the previous AD believe he was qualified to run a D1 program? 2 years as a head coach at a NAIA school? Yeah he is an alum and his father used to be the head coach but is that enough? Current AD has inherited a poor hire and If the team goes winless he will have to make a decision rather than prolong what appears to be a huge error in judgement by his predecessor.
rocki

MB1965 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:49 am I have been asking all season who was the OC, turns out its the HC. The lack of offensive production is in his lap solely. Let me ask....what made the previous AD believe he was qualified to run a D1 program? 2 years as a head coach at a NAIA school? Yeah he is an alum and his father used to be the head coach but is that enough? Current AD has inherited a poor hire and If the team goes winless he will have to make a decision rather than prolong what appears to be a huge error in judgement by his predecessor.

Quite frankly, I think you are looking at this too simplistically. Our last few seasons have sucked eggs - most of them NOT under this coach. A change did need to be made. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I even know thing #1 about coaching, so I don't know if the decision to move him up from NAIA to Division 1 was crazy or not. Everybody has to start somewhere. Don't forget how the transfer portal screwed everything up as well. I keep remembering the announcers on the first game of the year (they were "homers" for the other team, BTW), said that not only was WIU operating under a new coaching staff, but they also had 80 new players. Yeah, we had spring and summer ball, but for pete's sake, don't you think it takes more time than that to become a cohesive unit? Losing stinks, no doubt, but rebuilding a program takes time. I think it's a bit early to be calling for the coach's head. Just my 2 cents worth.
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm
MB1965 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:49 am I have been asking all season who was the OC, turns out its the HC. The lack of offensive production is in his lap solely. Let me ask....what made the previous AD believe he was qualified to run a D1 program? 2 years as a head coach at a NAIA school? Yeah he is an alum and his father used to be the head coach but is that enough? Current AD has inherited a poor hire and If the team goes winless he will have to make a decision rather than prolong what appears to be a huge error in judgement by his predecessor.

Quite frankly, I think you are looking at this too simplistically. Our last few seasons have sucked eggs - most of them NOT under this coach. A change did need to be made. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I even know thing #1 about coaching, so I don't know if the decision to move him up from NAIA to Division 1 was crazy or not. Everybody has to start somewhere. Don't forget how the transfer portal screwed everything up as well. I keep remembering the announcers on the first game of the year (they were "homers" for the other team, BTW), said that not only was WIU operating under a new coaching staff, but they also had 80 new players. Yeah, we had spring and summer ball, but for pete's sake, don't you think it takes more time than that to become a cohesive unit? Losing stinks, no doubt, but rebuilding a program takes time. I think it's a bit early to be calling for the coach's head. Just my 2 cents worth.

Exactly plus we have several true freshmen out there playing against guys who are in there 6th year of college. I don’t know if Myers is the right guy but I’m sure giving him more than 1 year to find out. Randy Ball 1st year was pretty bad as well.
letsgonecks

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:24 pm
rocki wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm

Exactly plus we have several true freshmen out there playing against guys who are in there 6th year of college. I don’t know if Myers is the right guy but I’m sure giving him more than 1 year to find out. Randy Ball 1st year was pretty bad as well.

I will give him props for modifying the offense this week and motioning back and across a TE to function as a FB.  Maybe YSU just isn't the best against the run, but we had a running game with RB's for the first time in years.  Maybe it took a bit to long to figure out and implement, but credit where credit is due.

I had dreams of a first year turnaround, but they were obviously crazy dreams.  Sure I want some wins and better play as a team, but can't judge him on year 1.  I like the first recruiting class and if we get them back and add during the offseason, we should get better.  A complete turnaround in year 2 would be amazing, but all we can really expect is improvement and sitting at 0-7 means the bar for next year is going to be very low in regards to wins.......

MB1965

I wasn't expecting an undefeated season by any means. Realistically I think 1 to 2 wins was not too much of a stretch. But I'm afraid that wont happen now after what happened at homecoming. I just think that call was a sophomoric move by an inexperienced play caller that ultimately cost WIU their 1st and possibly only win of the season. The boys out there busting there tails trying to get the 1st win of a tough season deserved better. Coaching is a chess game under pressure and we folded when the pressure was at its highest. I need to be more patient I know but that was a terrible way to lose a game. Onward to the next game  :|

vatusay

Take the sack instead of throwing it into the turf.  Terrible all around. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
GV Dad

vatusay wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:30 pm Take the sack instead of throwing it into the turf.  Terrible all around. 

This I agree with.  Would have loved to see Clay take the sack.  He'll learn if he keeps getting reps; not a fan of the rotating QBs.  I don't have an issue with the play call.  You're hoping YSU is selling out on the run, and you can sneak an easy first down.  The defender stayed home, tip your cap to him.  

The extra point that turned into a 2 pt conv was a total cluster.  First off, no one crashed of the edge.  If so, they would have busted up the play before it even started.  Instead they took the play off.  Then, we were only playing with 10 players.  One kid didn't run on the filed for the try, and, of course with our luck, the YSU player that was open should have been his to cover.  Hard to do from the sideline.  We should have walked away with a 4 pt lead, not a 2 pt lead.  

Good teams limit mistakes and force the other team to pay for theirs.  We aren't there yet, and we won't get there over night.  Pound the Rock!!