11/12/22 - vs Indiana State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VSImage

Game Date/Time: Saturday, November 12 at 1 PM
Media: ESPN+, Leatherneck Sports Network Radio
Live Stats: https://goleathernecks.com/sidearmstats ... ll/summary
Game Notes and Info: Western Illinois | Indiana State

Indiana State has struggled this year nearly as much as we have. They started off the season with a 17-14 OT win over currently 1-8 North Alabama. Since then though, it's all been losses. 56-0 at Purdue, 49-14 against Montana, 20-14 at Northern Iowa, 31-26 against North Dakota State, 48-42 at Youngstown State, 27-21 for their Homecoming game against Illinois State, 49-7 at South Dakota State, and 42-7 against North Dakota.

Here's the statistical comparison between the two teams. They are ahead of us in most statistical rankings, but not by much. For example, in both scoring offense and scoring defense, we're both in the bottom 20 of the FCS. We have a bit better passing game than they do, they have a bit better run game than we do, but overall, it's pretty  much a "toss-up".

History

The Leathernecks and Sycamores have played 44 times starting back in 1967 with an overall record of 26-18 for Western. In the last decade, we've played 8 times, winning 5, but losing the last 3. Last year's game was a 37-27 Sycamore victory.

Rankings

Sagarin Ratings (includes all 261 DI teams): WIU is #215, INSU is #192
Massey Composite: WIU is #108, INSU is #84
Massey Ratings gives us a 47% chance of winning this game, with a predicted score of 31-28 for the Sycamores.

If we want a win this season, this is probably our last real chance. Illinois State probably won't be fighting for a playoff spot when we play them next weekend (they're likely to lose their game against SDSU this weekend), but they will probably be aiming for an "over .500 record" with a home win against us to close out the season.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Really hoping WIU can pick up the win here...if team is still engaged and playing hard I think they can pull it off. Will be interesting to see what attendance will be, with 2 bad teams playing and the weather being cold, I assume there wont be many at the game.

Also seeing no posts about the game on here, shows the enthusiasm on here has waned. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:09 am Really hoping WIU can pick up the win here...if team is still engaged and playing hard I think they can pull it off. Will be interesting to see what attendance will be, with 2 bad teams playing and the weather being cold, I assume there wont be many at the game.

Also seeing no posts about the game on here, shows the enthusiasm on here has waned.

I'm going to guess around 1200 fans. I'm planning on going, got all my layers set out ready to get bundled up. I'd like to stay for the whole game, but if it ends up being too cold, I may have to head home in the second half and watch the last bit on ESPN+.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

meganeck wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:09 am Really hoping WIU can pick up the win here...if team is still engaged and playing hard I think they can pull it off. Will be interesting to see what attendance will be, with 2 bad teams playing and the weather being cold, I assume there wont be many at the game.

To be honest, what can be said? Yeah, we hope they win, but we really don't have anything to discuss. We've seen all the games, we pretty much know (unless they unleash a huge surprise on us) it's going to be pass heavy, very little run. (And it's not like we would be upsetting a team with a winning record, so nothing to trash talk about - and even they Sycamores seem apathetic since there's no trash talk from the visiting team's board) It is what it is.
sealhall74

If you have been saving some trick plays, this would be a good game to expose them.  I talked myself out of making the trip this AM.  The wind is just nasty enough to make it uncomfortable up here in the QC.  Assume not much different in Macomb.

Play the oldtimers, early and often!

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

I will be going because I want to be there at the end if we are winning !!  :)

I will be following nearby Biggsville West Central's state semi-final game in Illinois 8-Man Football.  #2 Biggsville West Central will be playing #6 Polo this afternoon.  

In the other state semi-final, #8 Champaign Saint Thomas More will be playing #5 Amboy.  

The 8-Man Football Championship game will be November 18 at Monmouth College.

Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgonecks

Too bad Armstrong wasn't his first read on that 4th and 5.  He looks his way on the slants, he probably goes for 6.
rocki

We appear to be making stupid mistakes. These guys are down playmakers just like we are, so they aren't that much better than us. We should be doing better, I would think.
rocki

This is extremely depressing.
MB1965

More of the same, I dont know what to say.