Interesting Off Season

GV Dad

Let's see how many kids quit this week while they are off campus and can do it over the phone.  
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:33 am Let's see how many kids quit this week while they are off campus and can do it over the phone.  

Interesting thought.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Still early, but apparently there's already 1700 kids in the transfer portal.
This site has a list of all the FCS players (and I assume it'll keep updating): https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/2023-fcs ... al-tracker
No Leathernecks listed currently, but it's a place to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:33 pm Still early, but apparently there's already 1700 kids in the transfer portal.
This site has a list of all the FCS players (and I assume it'll keep updating): https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/2023-fcs ... al-tracker
No Leathernecks listed currently, but it's a place to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

Cam Lewis #303.

Thanks for sharing this Scott!  I've been looking for a place that lists them all  
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74

Up to 2 now.  Mo Reed.

Long way to go to get to Wagner College territory.  They were 1-10 this year.  Do you think there is a strong correlation between number of wins and number in portal?  Probably.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:02 am Up to 2 now.  Mo Reed.

Long way to go to get to Wagner College territory.  They were 1-10 this year.  Do you think there is a strong correlation between number of wins and number in portal?  Probably.

Looks like the first guy never saw any game time here, and apparently the second guy didn't either - although he is a freshman, so don't know if they had him hitting the weight room instead or what.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:02 am Up to 2 now.  Mo Reed.

That's some of it, but there's a multitude of reasons the kids may want to head elsewhere.
A few examples:
  • Wagner College - 20 kids so far, like you mentioned, did not do well this year (1-10)
  • VMI - 13 kids so far, HC resigned last Sunday, also went 1-10 this year
  • Northern Colorado (9 so far), Lamar (12) also have had HC changes in the last week
  • Harvard (10) and Penn (11) - Ivy League rules do not allow graduate students to play sports, so if you have a student who's been there for 3-4 years and have gotten their undergrad degree but still want to play football, their options are to go ahead and declare that they're headed to the pro leagues or find a grad program they're interested in where the school will also let them play football.
  • North Dakota State (7) - with the early signing period starting December 21, kids who feel they are good enough to move up to the FBS level (one of the kids has already committed to James Madison) want to get their names in the transfer portal early. A lot of FBS teams are going to be getting their scholarships all allocated during December, and if they want in on that, they don't have a choice but to go now. It also means they won't get to participate in the playoffs.
Also from a user over at AGS:
This is the first year that the extra Covid eligibility season is going to start hitting college football super hard. There a ton of redshirt sophomores at universities around the country that already have degrees, and don't really have a lot of options at their current schools.
Add in all the "usual" reasons of playing time, closer to home, just not the right fit with coaching staff, etc. and it adds up to a large number of players.

In our case, whether we see a lot of our guys heading out or not probably comes down to how they feel about the coaching staff and the future of the program.
L'Étranger

Meeting scheduled at the end of break. I imagine some kids will want to see which way the wind blows and make a decision then.

I expect some coaching turnover, and some more will probably declare after that.

rocki

L'Étranger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 pm Meeting scheduled at the end of break. I imagine some kids will want to see which way the wind blows and make a decision then.

I expect some coaching turnover, and some more will probably declare after that.

This break, or Christmas break?