vs Southern Indiana

wiu712

Western won the game 86-78.

Trenton Massner led the Western scoring with 23 points.  He played 38 minutes.

Once again, there was no local radio broadcast of this game.

Attendance at Western Hall = 493
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:21 pm Western won the game 86-78.

Trenton Massner led the Western scoring with 23 points.  He played 38 minutes.

Once again, there was no local radio broadcast of this game.

Attendance at Western Hall = 493

Massner was impressive tonight, very obvious how important he is to the team. Starters logged most of the minutes, need to build some depth if they want to do anything this season.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I was in the pep band last night and we noticed that frequently they'd take Massner out on defense and put him back in on offense. It seemed like after his last couple of fouls he was getting pretty frustrated and angry, so I think that might have helped him settle down a bit.

https://iowacollegehoops.com/2022/12/01 ... s-hold-on/
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

I thought Jeter went to the offense/defense thing kinda early,, but then again Jeter knows way more about basketball then me, anyway they were only up 4 points or so and he was taking Massner out for Defense with 3 or 4 minutes left and there was no guarantee he would get back in for offense when they needed to still score. I did notice about half way thru the second half most of the guys looked pretty tired and I was screaming to sub some fresh guys in, but Jeter did call a time out to give the guys some rest. Anyway like I said previously, need some bench guys to step up and start helping out when they get the chance.

Scott I think you are right I think Massner was pretty frustrated when he picked up his 4th foul.
Necks2003

Fun win to watch. Overall, I like the home officials have let the teams play so far this season. Summit officials for some reason seem to call something every time there was contact for the past few years. Big Red would get a foul called for just looking at someone half the time.

wiu712

I think that the switching of Massner (offense) with K.J. Lee (defense) started after Massner picked up his 4th foul.

meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:22 pm I think that the switching of Massner (offense) with K.J. Lee (defense) started after Massner picked up his 4th foul.

Yes that is when he started doing it, so obvisously he was trying to prevent him from picking up his fifth foul, but my thought was you take him out for defense but if there is no stoppage of play then he can't get back in when they go on offense and we struggle to score when Massner is not out there a It was just an observation by me and I'm probably totally wrong, but just thought I would mention it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:22 pm I think that the switching of Massner (offense) with K.J. Lee (defense) started after Massner picked up his 4th foul.

Yes that is when he started doing it, so obvisously he was trying to prevent him from picking up his fifth foul, but my thought was you take him out for defense but if there is no stoppage of play then he can't get back in when they go on offense and we struggle to score when Massner is not out there a It was just an observation by me and I'm probably totally wrong, but just thought I would mention it.

That's true, and I think he did burn a time out specifically to do a Massner-related switch, but it did seem to work well. Massner calmed down pretty well, wasn't in much danger of getting another defensive foul, and was able to make some pretty amazing plays near the end...couple of really nice assists that set some some momentum-creating dunks.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Might be another time and place for this, but I was thinking Massner might be a top 10 all time player for WIU