Interesting Off Season

letsgonecks

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:35 am
letsgonecks wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:47 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:43 pm Looks like we are pretty much down to our freshman OL class for spring ball. 

Obviously a lot can still change, but should have Ty back at center, Dimitrios who started a few games at guard, Rutledge who started at guard, Kenneth who started guard and might have played some tackle as well.   Shawn Lee who backed up in 4 games along with last year transfers Reeter and Lavesa back.

Now these guys didn't necessarily dominate, but valuable game experience and a year to get better.  

Hoping to get some FBS transfers to help on both lines and maybe Muetterties back in the Purple and Gold.

Ty walked for SR day, and at this time doesn't plan to take his 5th yr.  Choosing instead to focus on his Graduate studies in Chemistry.  

Thanks for the info and good for him.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Relevant quote from Montana HC Bobby Hauck:
“The way things have changed, you’re not recruiting for the future. You’re recruiting to put a team on the field next August. That’s the situation we’ve all been put in. The next follow-up question should be do I like it, and the answer is no … but it doesn’t matter if I like it or want it to be different, it’s not going to be. You either figure it out and adapt like you do any situation … or you fail."
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm Relevant quote from Montana HC Bobby Hauck:
“The way things have changed, you’re not recruiting for the future. You’re recruiting to put a team on the field next August. That’s the situation we’ve all been put in. The next follow-up question should be do I like it, and the answer is no … but it doesn’t matter if I like it or want it to be different, it’s not going to be. You either figure it out and adapt like you do any situation … or you fail."
He's 100% right unfortunately. In the end, the transfer portal is actually going to hurt kids, not help as it was intended.  
leatherneckcountry

I just don’t understand how a kid is going to get a solid education if there transferring every year 
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:36 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm Relevant quote from Montana HC Bobby Hauck:
He's 100% right unfortunately. In the end, the transfer portal is actually going to hurt kids, not help as it was intended.  

Sad, but true. So many life lessons being lost.

4EverPurple&Gold

I am afraid where college football is going.

I understand both sides, but hard for me to wrap around. 
sealhall74

If I am coach/recruiter at the FCS level, I would steer clear of any athlete who thinks they are good enough to play at the next level.  Stick to those who want a solid education and a positive experience on the gridiron.

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:28 pm If I am coach/recruiter at the FCS level, I would steer clear of any athlete who thinks they are good enough to play at the next level.  Stick to those who want a solid education and a positive experience on the gridiron.

I agree, but then there is the component of being expected to have a top notch team. Seems like fewer and fewer people (both fans and players) are willing to go through the "growing pains" that building a team takes. 
Mheller

rocki wrote:
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:28 pm If I am coach/recruiter at the FCS level, I would steer clear of any athlete who thinks they are good enough to play at the next level.  Stick to those who want a solid education and a positive experience on the gridiron.

I agree, but then there is the component of being expected to have a top notch team. Seems like fewer and fewer people (both fans and players) are willing to go through the "growing pains" that building a team takes. 
A very big part of building a top notch team is fundraising. Period. Someone alluded to the Dakota schools and how much money they pump into their programs. That is most of what it takes. Who would rather go to college in Sioux Falls than be 3 hours from Chicago? Western is by far the better choice! I met the WIU president at an event earlier this year. He spoke about the campaign & how the trustees hadn’t decided on an amount to fundraise for. In the Q&A I told him to shoot for $500 million. A few people laughed but I was serious. Shoot high. Make something happen. If we have better facilities we get more recruits interested in coming. We pay more for staff, we get better coaches.

If the other schools in our conference can do it, so can we. Give me names of donors & I’ll call them. I am serious. That was my work-study job in college, harassing alumni for money. Trust me, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck

Mheller wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm
rocki wrote:

A very big part of building a top notch team is fundraising. Period. Someone alluded to the Dakota schools and how much money they pump into their programs. That is most of what it takes. Who would rather go to college in Sioux Falls than be 3 hours from Chicago? Western is by far the better choice! I met the WIU president at an event earlier this year. He spoke about the campaign & how the trustees hadn’t decided on an amount to fundraise for. In the Q&A I told him to shoot for $500 million. A few people laughed but I was serious. Shoot high. Make something happen. If we have better facilities we get more recruits interested in coming. We pay more for staff, we get better coaches.

If the other schools in our conference can do it, so can we. Give me names of donors & I’ll call them. I am serious. That was my work-study job in college, harassing alumni for money. Trust me, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your thinking and send him some names WIU lol