Interesting Off Season

GV Dad

Mheller wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm
rocki wrote:
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:28 pm If I am coach/recruiter at the FCS level, I would steer clear of any athlete who thinks they are good enough to play at the next level.  Stick to those who want a solid education and a positive experience on the gridiron.

I agree, but then there is the component of being expected to have a top notch team. Seems like fewer and fewer people (both fans and players) are willing to go through the "growing pains" that building a team takes. 
A very big part of building a top notch team is fundraising. Period. Someone alluded to the Dakota schools and how much money they pump into their programs. That is most of what it takes. Who would rather go to college in Sioux Falls than be 3 hours from Chicago? Western is by far the better choice! I met the WIU president at an event earlier this year. He spoke about the campaign & how the trustees hadn’t decided on an amount to fundraise for. In the Q&A I told him to shoot for $500 million. A few people laughed but I was serious. Shoot high. Make something happen. If we have better facilities we get more recruits interested in coming. We pay more for staff, we get better coaches.

If the other schools in our conference can do it, so can we. Give me names of donors & I’ll call them. I am serious. That was my work-study job in college, harassing alumni for money. Trust me, it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either raise the $$ or go D2.  You can't play if you don't want to pay.  
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:36 amEither raise the $$ or go D2.  You can't play if you don't want to pay. 

At the rate that FCS teams are moving up divisions these days, I don't think we need to go anywhere...it looks like D2 is just going to come to us.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

L'Étranger wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:43 pm

Tweet is being weird. He's in the portal. Click on the tweet if you want to see his notification

The tweet disappeared, but for reference, that's Sidney Fugar, who got the Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year award along with Chod Morrow (who, as far as I am currently aware, is not transferring):

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:24 am

Tweet is being weird. He's in the portal. Click on the tweet if you want to see his notification

The tweet disappeared, but for reference, that's Sidney Fugar, who got the Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year award along with Chod Morrow (who, as far as I am currently aware, is not transferring):

That just tells you how bad our line was

L'Étranger

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:24 am

That just tells you how bad our line was

The thing about trainwrecks is that yeah sometimes it's the train that caused it but sometimes it's the engineer.
MB1965

Never a truer statement has been written on this forum. Unfortunately IMO it will take a few more zero win seasons before the powers that be see that. As far as OL coach being blindsided, did the forced apology to the team not alert you to the trouble ahead?
L'Étranger

21 by my count at this point.

Will there be an uptick once the semester is over?
letsgonecks

L'Étranger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:49 pm 21 by my count at this point.

Who's the most recent additions?  Feel like I've missed some.

L'Étranger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:49 pm 21 by my count at this point.

Probably some that wait until semester starts to stay on scholarship for second semester. 
meganeck

I saw we offered a QB that is transferring from Buffalo and an OL that is transferring from Minnesota