Leatherneck Classic (Club Bowling)

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

I just ran across this when looking at what sports St Ambrose in Davenport has to offer.  St Ambrose Men won this tournament last month.  From what I can tell, it seems to always have been held in the Quad Cities area.  Lindenwood and Wichita State seem to be doing pretty well from year to year. The tournament started back in 2001 and our Leatherneck Club team won it the following year, led by Shane Keefauver.  Shane passed away in 2011 and the Shane Keefauver Memorial MVP Award is now awarded in his honor.

I heard Paul Bubb mention at the Alumni Get together in Moline last week that he is looking into adding another NCAA sport to the mix.  Could bowling be it?  Maybe ESports?  Rifle?

http://www.leatherneckclassic.com/

Correction:  St Ambrose finished first in qualifying scores.  Indiana Institute of Technology went on to win the bracket format tournament.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Wiufan77

Men’s bowling is not an NCAA sport, however women’s bowling is. So that could be a possibility. However, the bowling center has been torn down at the Union so probably won’t happen … which is a shame since the WIU Bowling program has a pretty successful history, particularly with the men’s team winning national championships in 1999 (against Nebraska), 2001 (against Florida State), and 2002 (against Purdue). 

It’s nice to see that the Leatherneck Classic has quietly turned into one of the biggest tournaments of the season and draws schools from all over the country.