NCAA Nonsense

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

Someone help me out to understand this.  Yesterday, I noticed that St. Thomas statistical data was missing from the Summit League conference rankings on the NCAA web site.  I tweeted the NCAA to find out why and here is what they said:

St. Thomas is still in the transitional period. They won't be a full member of Division I until the 2025-26 season and that is when they will be eligible to be in the national statistical rankings.

That is crazy.  A team has to be "eligible" to be part of the rankings for 3pt Field Goal Percentage, Rebounds, ...
Totally illogical.  That same data is available on the same NCAA site by clicking on the boxscore links for games.
The ranking stats are nothing more than a roll-up of all of the boxscore data. 

Come on, man.  Just put a freakin asterisk next to their team name wherever it appears to indicate the transitional period and show us the damn numbers. 
Case closed.

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 am Someone help me out to understand this.  Yesterday, I noticed that St. Thomas statistical data was missing from the Summit League conference rankings on the NCAA web site.  I tweeted the NCAA to find out why and here is what they said:

St. Thomas is still in the transitional period. They won't be a full member of Division I until the 2025-26 season and that is when they will be eligible to be in the national statistical rankings.

That is crazy.  A team has to be "eligible" to be part of the rankings for 3pt Field Goal Percentage, Rebounds, ...
Totally illogical.  That same data is available on the same NCAA site by clicking on the boxscore links for games.
The ranking stats are nothing more than a roll-up of all of the boxscore data. 

Come on, man.  Just put a freakin asterisk next to their team name wherever it appears to indicate the transitional period and show us the damn numbers. 
Case closed.

The whole process is pointless and should be changed, but probably won't.  We've actually seen a decent number of programs move up in the last few years, but usually there aren't that many, so a very small percentage of people caring or complaining about.  Because these institutions are usually a bit smaller with a smaller fanbases and media attention, there's just not the enough noise.  Plus, outsiders think, who cares as they wouldn't win the NCAA Bball tournament or a Bowl game or advance to the FCS championship.

As far as stats, I'm sure this was originally put in place as teams wouldn't have full D1 schedules the first year or two, so allowing them to count their stats was blocked.  As far as advancing to the tournament in basketball, it shouldn't matter who they played on their non conference schedule.  If they play a full conference schedule and are in their conference tournament and win they should be in.  Worrying about them being competitive is obviously moot, if they win and those teams not yet up to the challenge could opt out of participating in the first place.  For football at both FBS and FCS they look at number of qualifying wins, so you can't make a bowl or the FCS playoffs if you're played a split schedule.

If anything it hurts schools ability to recruit HS kids or pull transfers, if they know they can't play in the post season for x amount of years.  You'll will get those fringe D1/D2 kids though, who are only getting D2 looks and now can call themselves D1.

Probably won't get much support from conferences on this either.  They're likely happy to have a good team not be able to take a spot, so it increases their teams chances.  Some teams potentially went through the same process once upon a time, so there's always that feeling of "we did it, so you should to".