Recruiting, transfers, defections

leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:58 am Where is he going?

Lindenwood 
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:05 am

Lindenwood 

Too bad.  He could have put a smile from above on Rock's face by coming here after earning that Marine Corp athletic award  coming out of high school.

https://www.qps.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... m-2022.pdf

I hope the coaches at least tried to butter him up with that bit of history.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:05 am

Lindenwood 

thank you, I couldn't remember for sure, i was thinking Longwood but that didn't sound right.

Necks2003

I was able to watch th D2 national championship game today on CBS, and there were literally likely 18 people in the stands. To anyone that thinks dropping to the D2 level will help anything...I beg to differ and doubt any success at the D2 level will ever benefit the university with enrollment increases. It would still seem that its better to save the cash and cancel athletics altogether then downgrade to the D2 level. Even the WIU worst home games were better than the national championship D2 game today. OUCH!
leatherneckcountry

Necks2003 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 pm I was able to watch th D2 national championship game today on CBS, and there were literally likely 18 people in the stands. To anyone that thinks dropping to the D2 level will help anything...I beg to differ and doubt any success at the D2 level will ever benefit the university with enrollment increases. It would still seem that its better to save the cash and cancel athletics altogether then downgrade to the D2 level. Even the WIU worst home games were better than the national championship D2 game today. OUCH!

Yeah according to the box score there were 1200 which is still pretty bad for a championship game. The D1 njcaa championship game had a bigger crowd.

bignecks

Really disappointed Talton didn't end up here. I find us to be a far better program at the moment than Lindenwood. Either somebody here bothered him or his family at some point or he's getting some bad advice because he wanted to play anywhere but here. 
sealhall74

Necks2003 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 pm I was able to watch th D2 national championship game today on CBS, and there were literally likely 18 people in the stands. To anyone that thinks dropping to the D2 level will help anything...I beg to differ and doubt any success at the D2 level will ever benefit the university with enrollment increases. It would still seem that its better to save the cash and cancel athletics altogether then downgrade to the D2 level. Even the WIU worst home games were better than the national championship D2 game today. OUCH!

The real travesty was not the attendance but the wrapper around the attendance.  I was at the Ford Center when we played Evansville a few years back.  Way too big and cavernous.  Move it to a place like the Pentagon (capacity 3200) in Sioux Falls to create a nice intimate homey atmosphere.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

According to Verbal Commits: https://verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois
these are the players who are currently listed as transferring (or at least have entered the portal)

Junior Forward Elijah Farr - transferred to us from Murray State, played in 23 games, averaged 12.3 minutes, 4 points and 1.5 rebounds
Junior Guard JJ Kalakon - transferred to us from Triton Junior College, played in 21 games, averaged 8.3 minutes, 2.3 points, and 1.3 rebounds per game
Freshman Walk-on Guard Jake Fisher - redshirted, did not play

Just to be clear, I don't have secondary verification on these, it's just what that one site is saying.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Losing 2/3 of our offense to graduation and transfer so far.  Those will be some tough Taylors (i.e. Converse Chuck Taylor Hightops) to fill.
I know, I am dating myself. But hey, they still make them.  Now you can even get a custom-designed pair made just for you.

https://www.converse.com/shop/custom-mens-shoes

sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:24 am Losing 2/3 of our offense to graduation and transfer so far.  Those will be some tough Taylors (i.e. Converse Chuck Taylor Hightops) to fill.
I know, I am dating myself. But hey, they still make them.  Now you can even get a custom-designed pair made just for you.

https://www.converse.com/shop/custom-mens-shoes

BTW, this could be a good marketing thing.  PIck one student each game to win their own custom-designed pair of sneakers.  Last game of season, have a "fashion show" to select the best one from the group.