Field Turf

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

I heard the AD mention on the baseball broadcast that Western Hall playing floor is getting resurfaced this summer and the field turf on the football field will be replaced next year.  I assume that the football field turf has some worn out areas and some that are still in useable condition.  Is it possible that some of the field turf could be repurposed for other areas on campus, like maybe a synthetic infield surface on the baseball field?  Thats the only one that comes to my immediate mind, but I am sure there are other possibilities as well.  Maybe landscaping some areas around campus where real grass is tough to grow.  I realize that the underlying surface always needs a lot of prep work before turf can be installed so maybe this is not feasible.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

New turf designs...so I'm sure part of it will be switching out the MVFC logo for the OVC logo. But what about the logo for us? Rocky head? Block W? Something else?
Anyone want crazy purple turf of something?

Here's what it might look like with the Rocky Head and Block W logos.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:18 am New turf designs...so I'm sure part of it will be switching out the MVFC logo for the OVC logo. But what about the logo for us? Rocky head? Block W? Something else?
Anyone want crazy purple turf of something?

Here's what it might look like with the Rocky Head and Block W logos.

I like the Rocky head better 

pvk7072

New member here ... attended 70-72 (Mudra was HC) before transfer. Anyway, still have a sort of an ear scratch for Rocky and decided after a looooooong time to connect with the next generation.  Anyway ...

with the field logo, I like the Rocky head but suggest the OVC logo be turned around so it faces/reads the same way as the yardage numbers on that side of the field. From that side IMO would look wierd read upside down.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

pvk7072 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:26 pm New member here ... attended 70-72 (Mudra was HC) before transfer. Anyway, still have a sort of an ear scratch for Rocky and decided after a looooooong time to connect with the next generation.  Anyway ...

with the field logo, I like the Rocky head but suggest the OVC logo be turned around so it faces/reads the same way as the yardage numbers on that side of the field. From that side IMO would look wierd read upside down.

Welcome...glad to have you.
I agree with you on the conference logos. I was just going off of what they have now, which is both MVFC logos facing towards the home side...

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Please not the horrid block W. 

4EverPurple&Gold

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:56 am Please not the horrid block W. 

I agree... I don't mind the block W for the University but athletics should be the rocky logo or sweep (Western Illinois with rocky head)
wiu51

Please don't use the block W. No one associates it with WIU. We need WIU, Western Illinois or Rocky's head. 
pvk7072

Gladtameetchall.

I agree with your agreement (to Scott). Getting new logos is an opportunity to fix the little things. West side fans don't need to be shown twice. Give the east siders an OVC nod (right side up).

Assuming people know where they're at (sarcasm intended), the "big W" or "Western Illinois" are not necessary. And from the east, that big W reads like a big gold "M." Does anyone want THAT?

Promote Rocky (midfield) and the Leathernecks (end zones); they are unique to WIU athletics.
Tere North

wiu51 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:44 pm Please don't use the block W. No one associates it with WIU. We need WIU, Western Illinois or Rocky's head. 

Absoltuley agreed. Going to the W was a horrid decision. We are Western, WIU, etc, but not "for the W."

Athletics is associated with the Rocky head. That is wat we should be celebrating! Not some clueless marketing director who likes the W.

Last edited by Tere North on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.