2023 Recruits

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The above-mentioned AJ Coons is a transfer from South Dakota State. Hometown is Solon, IA (small town between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids).
He's a 6'4" 215 lb WR who edshirted in spring 21 season, and played most of fall 2021 and 2022 seasons, mostly on special teams.
Had 1 19-yard catch against us last fall and 1 17-yard catch against Delaware in the playoffs.

https://gojacks.com/sports/football/ros ... oons/11574
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

I've watched Solon destroy Keokuk enough times to know there's a lot of talent from that school. Happy to get a talented kid from there. 
Leatherneck57

Toriano Tate is joining the football team as a WR.  I spoke with the Track coach yesterday at the Leatherneck Club golf classic and he confirmed the news.  Coach Hendrickson also said they were excited to have him.  He had a stellar track season as a true freshman.
letsgonecks

Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 am Toriano Tate is joining the football team as a WR.  I spoke with the Track coach yesterday at the Leatherneck Club golf classic and he confirmed the news.  Coach Hendrickson also said they were excited to have him.  He had a stellar track season as a true freshman.

Crazy, I was going to ask you on here last night, if there was any chance he would join the team this year.

Leatherneck57

Izaya never announced anything but he committed/signed with us and is on campus right now and started summer workouts yesterday.  All of the O lineman at Hutchinson CC signed with D1 schools.  The tackle he played next to signed with Tennessee.

Our O line got bigger and better with this addition.  Big boy from Hawaii.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JZ4VF
Attachments
IMG_7577.jpeg
IMG_7577.jpeg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 737 times
WIU2DC

letsgonecks wrote:
Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 am Toriano Tate is joining the football team as a WR.  I spoke with the Track coach yesterday at the Leatherneck Club golf classic and he confirmed the news.  Coach Hendrickson also said they were excited to have him.  He had a stellar track season as a true freshman.

Crazy, I was going to ask you on here last night, if there was any chance he would join the team this year.

I was curious if this was gonna happen. I know he originally signed to play ball at NIU and then came to us for Track and Field. I’m hoping he’s gonna be even better than his brother. His speed and size looks better than his brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:19 am Izaya never announced anything but he committed/signed with us and is on campus right now and started summer workouts yesterday.  All of the O lineman at Hutchinson CC signed with D1 schools.  The tackle he played next to signed with Tennessee.

Maybe his brothers want to come play with him.  Aliki has played 24 games on the DL for Utah and Enokk who's played 14 on the OL for Ohio State.  

Like this get, remember someone shared his tweet offer.  Looks like he was playing left guard last year and we need guards.

Leatherneck57

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:38 am
Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:19 am Izaya never announced anything but he committed/signed with us and is on campus right now and started summer workouts yesterday.  All of the O lineman at Hutchinson CC signed with D1 schools.  The tackle he played next to signed with Tennessee.

Maybe his brothers want to come play with him.  Aliki has played 24 games on the DL for Utah and Enokk who's played 14 on the OL for Ohio State.  

Like this get, remember someone shared his tweet offer.  Looks like he was playing left guard last year and we need guards.

If we had to play a game today this is what the O line would look like.  Just my opinion…

LT - Banks 6’5 325 JR.
LG - Vimahi 6’6 386 JR.
C - Selle 6’3 290 R-FR (Ty’s backup)
RG - Merklinger 6’5 325 SO
RT - Alwadi 6’8 340 R-FR

I’d be good with that.  
WIU2DC

Leatherneck57 wrote:

If we had to play a game today this is what the O line would look like.  Just my opinion…

LT - Banks 6’5 325 JR.
LG - Vimahi 6’6 386 JR.
RT - Alwadi 6’8 340 R-FR

I’d be good with that.  
I love the size and that all of them have eligibility for the 24 season too. Finally get a group that plays multiple seasons together. What does the backfield and WR core look like? Best guess anyways.

Leatherneck57

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:39 pm
Leatherneck57 wrote:

LT - Banks 6’5 325 JR.
LG - Vimahi 6’6 386 JR.
RT - Alwadi 6’8 340 R-FR

I’d be good with that.  
I love the size and that all of them have eligibility for the 24 season too. Finally get a group that plays multiple seasons together. What does the backfield and WR core look like? Best guess anyways.

We have 4 WR’s over 6’3 and 200 lbs +.  McKinney, Logan, Griffen and newly signed Coons should have a big impact.  Look for Taj Sanders to have a breakout year as well as Joey Thompson.  Our slots are good as
well…Parker and Jackson.  With addition of Tate plus one or two more transfers we could be solid.  

I think Glatz and Williams could be stars at RB and our future.  They will bring in another transfer or two before July to round out that group.  Ludo is solid and good out of the backfield on pass routes.  

Coach said on Monday that they are just about full.  They are bringing in another kicker and long snapper plus 2 more O lineman and a TE or two.  Defense is set.  They may bring in one more DB but our LB segment is a good one both inside and outside.  We have 13 D lineman and ready to go.  

We have a few true freshman coming in that will see action right away.  I feel better this year than I did last year this time.