News feed on front page

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just so everyone is aware, it looks like the Western Courier has changed something in their feed. I used to be able to have a filter that would only show Western athletics-related news/articles, but now it's letting through a bunch of other articles too. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on (and how to fix it), but I just wanted to let everyone know why you're seeing non-athletics news there currently.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yup, they updated their website, and the old format of the rss feed only pulling up sports articles was broken. Found the new feed for it and fixed it in the code.

Should be working correctly now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm testing out a new way of displaying the news on the front page and I'd appreciate it if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think.
You can view the new version here: http://www.leathernecknation.net/index_embedly.php
And the changed stuff is the middle column (News section).

Look better? Worse? Completely messes up on your screen?
Tere North

I like the look, but trying to understand where on Leatherneck Nation would this news feed appear or would it replace the current homescreen listing the discussion topics?
sealhall74

I like the end result with the smaller thumbnail pictures. On Firefox, I first see the larger images before page is finally rendered. Not too crazy about that behavior.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:I like the look, but trying to understand where on Leatherneck Nation would this news feed appear or would it replace the current homescreen listing the discussion topics?
It would replace the current news feed on the front page: http://www.leathernecknation.net/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I like the end result with the smaller thumbnail pictures. On Firefox, I first see the larger images before page is finally rendered. Not too crazy about that behavior.
Yea, that happens for me too. I'm going to have to look into getting that to happen faster or load a smaller image or something.
I know what's causing it...essentially, the rss feed that it's pulling from sends a very large version of the image...for example: http://goleathernecks.com/common/contro ... l_FP_4.jpg

Once the page is loaded, the script/code that does the styling of that section resizes everything and formats it. I think I'll just have to figure out a way to make the image smaller before it loads on the page. I'll keep working on that, because personally, I really like the way it looks, but like you...not a fan of how it's giant first.
rocki

I like it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok, so I figured out a way for it to display the images smaller when the page first loads. It's still loading the same size image, but when they're shown (before the script reformats things), they're small. So you don't have the giant image that then jumps down to a small size. There's still a bit of a jump after the page loads when it changes over styles, so I'm going to see if I can't speed that up too.