Tennis Program Turnaround?

meganeck

i know they won't because of Title IX but might be time to get rid of the tennis program, lost 7-0 to St. Thomas. Which was the Tommies first ever D1 victory.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:17 pm i know they won't because of Title IX but might be time to get rid of the tennis program, lost 7-0 to St. Thomas. Which was the Tommies first ever D1 victory.

Maybe it would be better to replace it with a co-ed rifle team, offering scholarships for the women on the team, and see about becoming an affiliate member of the OVC for rifle (assuming we don't go OVC for our non-football sports). We could keep the same number of opportunities and scholarships for women, and might have a chance of doing better in something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:03 pm
meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:17 pm i know they won't because of Title IX but might be time to get rid of the tennis program, lost 7-0 to St. Thomas. Which was the Tommies first ever D1 victory.

Maybe it would be better to replace it with a co-ed rifle team, offering scholarships for the women on the team, and see about becoming an affiliate member of the OVC for rifle (assuming we don't go OVC for our non-football sports). We could keep the same number of opportunities and scholarships for women, and might have a chance of doing better in something.

I would be all for that. Maybe with the new AD he or she will take an in depth look at all sports. Also I assume they won't be changing conferences anytime soon since there currently is no AD.

sealhall74

I will go out on a limb and predict a victory on Friday. 

But seriously, if you dont have an indoor tennis court to practice on within an hour drive, why bother?
Back in my day, I know I played some tennis (and badminton) on the tartan surface inside Brophy Hall.  Maybe that is no longer doable with the basketball practice court there (I assume that is where the court is).

Rifle much better option for a true Leatherneck. lol
Embrace the pace of the race.