How is Dunkin Donuts coming along?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
Purple Grandma

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:12 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:Hearing Rocky's has closed with no plans of reopening.
That’s not surprising. I’d heard rumors of that even before the owner passed away about a month ago: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2516

And yes, Rocky’s is the same location as the old Regulator. Both were owned by Les Switzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's an update from Rocky's Facebook page, especially for those with a Rocky's purple gift certificate:

Rockys Bar and Grill
ActSipuongucSustguu 13sS hatsfot hagSm5:r22t edflPhM ·
Hello Rocky’s friends and family. As most of you know the owner, our father Les Switzer passed away this summer. This post has been something weighing heavy on our hearts for quite some time. This post was supposed to be written by our dad, but since he is no longer with us we will do our best to translate for him.
After 40 years of business it is with a heavy heart that we announce our doors are officially closing. This decision has not been an easy one as we carry so many wonderful memories at 1420 W Jackson Street in Macomb. We have been closed since November due to Covid-19 restrictions. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this very difficult time. Before our father passed away he had decided it was time for him to retire. As most of you know his daughter Lauren had been running it for him, but the restaurant business is not the same, especially without our father being alive. We have chosen to let the legacy of Rocky’s (1999-2021) and The Regulator (1981-1997) end with our dad. Please respect our decision, privacy, and know this was not an easy one to make. We want to thank each and every employee, customer, and friend we have made along the way. This is a great community and our building has been a home away from home for many years. We hope whoever buys this building and/or business is able to develop as many wonderful memories as our family has.
We are still in the process of getting ready to sell so please be patient with us. As soon as we have selling information to share we will do so. We will be deactivating this page in the near future, so if you have questions or interests please serious inquiries only.
***Regarding ROCKY’S purple gift certificates (this does not include chamber,radio, or any other gift certificates, only the purple ones purchased at Rocky’s). We are offering a one time refund for anyone that has purchased a Rocky’s gift certificate. This Monday, August 16 Les’ daughter, Lauren will be at Rocky’s from 12pm-6pm. You must bring the gift certificate YOU purchased along with your full name and mailing address. You will not receive cash back that day, you will receive a check in the mail delivered ASAP from The Estate of Les Switzer mailed from Holland&Holland in Bushnell. Some of you may not agree with this process, but adviced by our attorney this is the correct way to handle your refund. As mentioned before this is a ONE DAY refund for your gift certificate. After Monday we will not be offering anymore times for you to drop off your gift certificate and mailing address, if you cannot make it you will need to take your information to Holland&Holland in Bushnell. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
With Love,
Derek and Lauren Switzer, children of late owner and operator Les Switzer
Neckfansince71

Anyone walk thru the union yet to see the new food choices available. I know that some sort of "Starbucks" retail area is now where Einsteins use to be. ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am Anyone walk thru the union yet to see the new food choices available. I know that some sort of "Starbucks" retail area is now where Einsteins use to be. ;) jc
I haven't been through there, but I heard that the Qdoba in there is doing a "soft opening" yesterday and today to train staff. Actual opening is tomorrow. I had heard that we were getting a starbucks location in the union too, but haven't heard if it's like a full starbucks, or a "mini" one with just coffee and limited selection.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:46 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am Anyone walk thru the union yet to see the new food choices available. I know that some sort of "Starbucks" retail area is now where Einsteins use to be. ;) jc
I haven't been through there, but I heard that the Qdoba in there is doing a "soft opening" yesterday and today to train staff. Actual opening is tomorrow. I had heard that we were getting a starbucks location in the union too, but haven't heard if it's like a full starbucks, or a "mini" one with just coffee and limited selection.
Does anyone know the rules on entering the union do you just need to wear a mask.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:46 pm
Does anyone know the rules on entering the union do you just need to wear a mask.
I think that's really the only thing in place right now.
Neckfansince71

Still waiting for someone to take pictures of the Starbucks and Adobo areas of the union food court or as it was once known, the Tract! ;) jc
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:37 amStill waiting for someone to take pictures of the Starbucks and Adobo areas of the union food court or as it was once known, the Tract!
The WGEM News video posted on August 24 under "Western News" has some scenes from the University Union food court.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's photos from around 2:15 this afternoon:

Starbucks (left) and Chick-fil-A (right)

and further to the right is Qdoba

Pokitren

Greetings from Australia! Your University looks beautiful!
Do well or do not do at all.
leatherneckcountry

The old Papa Johns has been torn down.