Summit League's Future

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

STATE OF THE SUMMIT: Record crowds in Sioux Falls, post-season success, and expansion has league feeling stable.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... -of-summit

The "Road to Sioux Falls" (in miles):
Brookings, S.D. = 58.
Vermillion, S.D. = 63.
Omaha = 185.
Fargo, N.D. = 244.
Grand Forks, N.D. = 319.
Macomb = 496.
Tulsa = 563.
Denver = 624.
Fort Wayne = 734.
OldHare

wiu712 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am STATE OF THE SUMMIT: Record crowds in Sioux Falls, post-season success, and expansion has league feeling stable.

Brookings, S.D. = 58.
Vermillion, S.D. = 63.
Omaha = 185.
Fargo, N.D. = 244.
Grand Forks, N.D. = 319.
Macomb = 496.
Tulsa = 563.
Denver = 624.
Fort Wayne = 734.
Douple did not say much in all the interview. Has there been any chatter of schools in your region hunting for another conference? There was a reference of adding someone in the Elmhurst vicinity.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

OldHare wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm Douple did not say much in all the interview. Has there been any chatter of schools in your region hunting for another conference? There was a reference of adding someone in the Elmhurst vicinity.
Not that I've heard. Only "chatter" has just been people around message boards just throwing out ideas.
As for Elmhurst...not sure who that would be. Elmhurst is a suburb of Chicago, which I don't mind getting someone in that area, but here's the options there:
Northwestern - Big 10
DePaul - Big East
Loyola - Missouri Valley
Illinois-Chicago - Horizon League
Chicago State - Western Athletic Conference

I don't see anyone on that list leaving their existing conference outside of Chicago State and if it's them....dear god no. They really need to drop down to DII or DIII. They can't support a DI athletics program at all.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

OldHare wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm
wiu712 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am STATE OF THE SUMMIT: Record crowds in Sioux Falls, post-season success, and expansion has league feeling stable.

Brookings, S.D. = 58.
Vermillion, S.D. = 63.
Omaha = 185.
Fargo, N.D. = 244.
Grand Forks, N.D. = 319.
Macomb = 496.
Tulsa = 563.
Denver = 624.
Fort Wayne = 734.
Douple did not say much in all the interview. Has there been any chatter of schools in your region hunting for another conference? There was a reference of adding someone in the Elmhurst vicinity.
Elmhurst is because that's where conference headquarters is. Besides us, who in IL would be interested?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Brookings, S.D. = 58.
Vermillion, S.D. = 63.
Omaha = 185.
Fargo, N.D. = 244.
Grand Forks, N.D. = 319.
Macomb = 496.
Tulsa = 563.
Denver = 624.
Fort Wayne = 734.
Elmhurst is because that's where conference headquarters is. Besides us, who in IL would be interested?
SIUE? EIU? Outside of a DII moving up, those are the only ones I could even remotely envision joining the Summit League.
sealhall74

Valpo finished in the cellar in MVC this year after having pretty good success in the Horizon for the last decade. A year or two more with similar results, they will be looking for a new (old?) home.

BTW, the MVC women's tournament is at TaxSlayer Arena in Moline again this year (starts tomorrow 3/8). The Quad-Cities must be doing something right to attract that event. I also think they do a good job with the ISC (Softball) World Tournament when they have hosted it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm
Tere North wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:16 pm
SIUE? EIU? Outside of a DII moving up, those are the only ones I could even remotely envision joining the Summit League.
But why give up Ohio Valley?
hoops3

What about UMKC coming back to the league. Makes more since than where they are now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 am But why give up Ohio Valley?
I'm not saying it's at all likely that they would, just saying that it's more likely for them to move to the Summit than someone like Northwestern or DePaul.
Western_101

University of Central Missouri (UCM) has approx 14,000 students and better athletic facilities than Western. I really could see them making the move to D-I. The Summit would seem to be a logical place for them to find a home.

Besides, I like their nickname/mascot. ;)