Division 2

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

Also, what is out status right now with respect to FCoA. We do, we don't, sort of? I am pretty sure all of those schools up in the Dakotas are onboard with it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am Also, what is out status right now with respect to FCoA. We do, we don't, sort of? I am pretty sure all of those schools up in the Dakotas are onboard with it.
I believe that we do not currently.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am Also, what is out status right now with respect to FCoA. We do, we don't, sort of? I am pretty sure all of those schools up in the Dakotas are onboard with it.
Hell, except for FB and BkB, very few of our student athletes even get full scholarships with a handful of scholarship money split among many athletes. Most end up playing for little more than books.

I don't find it posted anywhere on the athletics site, but with 400+ scholarship athletes, I recall from our last NCAA report, total scholarship dollars covers only about 150 student equivalents [FB and BkB are NCAA D1-mandated to give full-ride (books, tuition, room & board) or nothing, other sports can divvy up their scholarship allotment].

So exactly how is Western going to come up with extra money other than further sacrificing the limited partial scholarship money?
Tere North

D2 would also allow us to decrease the number of sports. 10 is the minimum in D2 compared to 14 in D1.
wiu712

Western was "NCAA Colllege Division" until 1973.

In 1973, the College Division split in two when the NCAA began using numeric designations for its competitions. The College Division members who wanted to offer athletic scholarships or compete against those who did became Division II. Those who chose not to offer athletic scholarships became Division III.

Western became NCAA Division II in 1973 and remained at that level until 1981.
leatherneckcountry

I’m clueless what does out status with FCoA mean.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 am
My Dad looking down from above would be very disappointed with me right now. He taught me typing in high school. Should have been "our status". I am also a bit lazy/lethargic lately. FCoA is short for "Full Cost of Attendance".

My typing is what it is. I am working on the lazy/lethargic issue by getting more frisky every day at the crack of dawn. No, I don't have a wife named Dawn.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 am
My Dad looking down from above would be very disappointed with me right now. He taught me typing in high school. Should have been "our status". I am also a bit lazy/lethargic lately. FCoA is short for "Full Cost of Attendance".

My typing is what it is. I am working on the lazy/lethargic issue by getting more frisky every day at the crack of dawn. No, I don't have a wife named Dawn.
Well it was 2:30 am and my brain couldn't figure it out I was way off cause I thought it had something to do with us opting out of the conference.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Full Cost of Attendance is the process by which schools may (if they choose to) offer extra money to student athletes (in addition to regular scholarship money) to cover things like books, fees, room and board, etc...which are things that scholarships traditionally didn't really cover.
Here's more info: https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/ ... endance-qa

It's been approved for DI athletics, but it's up to the individual school to decide if they can offer it or not, and to which sport's athletes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 am Full Cost of Attendance is the process by which schools may (if they choose to) offer extra money to student athletes (in addition to regular scholarship money) to cover things like books, fees, room and board, etc...which are things that scholarships traditionally didn't really cover.
Here's more info: https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/ ... endance-qa

It's been approved for DI athletics, but it's up to the individual school to decide if they can offer it or not, and to which sport's athletes.
Now that it has been around for a while, I wonder if anyone has done any correlation studies about it and success on the field/court.