Advertising

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Also, it looks like advertising is now running. If you hate it, or have a problem with it (or anything being advertised on it), let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Do they give you anything for the advertising on the page? Also, is there an option for local Macomb businesses to place ads on page?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yes. We get $ per click. It will go to help support the site. It looks like at the current rate it will pay for hosting with a bit extra. The extra could pay for cool new features/add-ons that are nice but paid, could pay for ads for Leatherneck Nation on other sites, donate to the athletic department, etc. Those are just a couple of ideas I came up with. We can discuss what we want to do with the extra once it builds up a bit.

Not sure about local business option. I'd probably have to meet with a local ad agency/group or go out and solicit ads myself. That stuff will have to wait until I have a bit more free time. Right now it's all going towards getting the site running smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WIU0812

Very understandable just was seeing the options. It would be nice if you did have the extra money to have a ad on the goleathernecks site, but that is probably not very cheap.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Very understandable just was seeing the options. It would be nice if you did have the extra money to have a ad on the goleathernecks site, but that is probably not very cheap.
Not sure, I'll have to look into it. I was thinking some targeted google and facebook ads maybe....if we decide to go that route. Just something to help bring in more fans and increase awareness.
WIU0812

Very true that may be better and cheaper.
WIU0812

ST- so now that there is a little money in the pot hopefully you are able to use that to do some facebook advertising and see if it increases the sites traffic. Does the site have any tracking software associated that tells the number of visits per day or week and all of that important items which can be used to track increases in flow?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:ST- so now that there is a little money in the pot hopefully you are able to use that to do some facebook advertising and see if it increases the sites traffic. Does the site have any tracking software associated that tells the number of visits per day or week and all of that important items which can be used to track increases in flow?
Sure, I'll get to work on setting up some advertising.

We do have tracking set up, so we can see what impact the ads will be causing.
Just so you're aware, the new site started in early May and had about 11-12k pageviews per week for the first couple of weeks until the students left and things slowed down. Through the summer we mostly averaged in the 5k-7k pageviews per week range, but it started to tick upwards in early August. August averaged somewhere around 16k-18k pageviews per week, and September has also seen an increase, with just over 21k pageviews last week (Sept 7-13).

Google actually has quite a bit of data in their analytics.
For those who are curious as to where our visitors come from, 99.16% are from the US (no surprise there), with a few visits from Brazil, UK, Greece, Italy. In the US, the top states are:
Illinois - 63.07%
Virginia - 5.39%
Indiana - 4.46%
Wisconsin - 4.19%
South Dakota - 2.87%
Texas - 2.41%
Iowa - 2.26%
Florida - 2.22%
Missouri - 1.71%
Kansas - 1.44%

Most of the visits from Illinois are Macomb (just under half the visits from IL), but as expected, there's quite a few people checking in from Chicago and the suburbs, as well as the Peoria area, Quincy, and Bloomington. Most of the hotspots in other states are from home cities of fellow MVFC teams and other teams we play (lots of hits from Madison, for example).

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things once the ads start going to see how much it helps.
WIU0812

10-4 that is a lot of great info! I am surprised that there is not anyone from Arizona since there are a few players from that area. When you think you will start running ads? I will keep my eye out and see if it shows up for me at all.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:10-4 that is a lot of great info! I am surprised that there is not anyone from Arizona since there are a few players from that area. When you think you will start running ads? I will keep my eye out and see if it shows up for me at all.
Oh, we have visitors from Arizona...actually visitors from nearly every state. Arizona was #16 on the list with .79% of visits (which is ahead of states that you'd think would usually have more visitors, like North Dakota, Nebraska, Kentucky, Ohio, etc.). I just didn't go that far down the list.
No visitors from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, or New Mexico.