Women's Basketball - 2019

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:09 pm Question: If a HS senior has enough credits to graduate mid-year and start college immediately, would he/she be eligible to play the next semester in college?
Technically, I think so...if the senior started classes at the university in the spring semester, but you likely wouldn't be able to have them on the roster until mid-January, so you'd be looking at only about 6 weeks of the season that they'd be able to play. Not sure it'd be worth it unless they're an absolutely exceptional player and might end up going pro before their senior year. They'd also be missing out on the second half of their senior season in HS....and if they're that good, they're probably leading their team deep in the playoffs...so they'd be giving that up.

So, I think it is "legal" from the NCAA's standpoint, but highly unlikely to happen.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:09 pm Question: If a HS senior has enough credits to graduate mid-year and start college immediately, would he/she be eligible to play the next semester in college?
Technically, I think so...if the senior started classes at the university in the spring semester, but you likely wouldn't be able to have them on the roster until mid-January, so you'd be looking at only about 6 weeks of the season that they'd be able to play. Not sure it'd be worth it unless they're an absolutely exceptional player and might end up going pro before their senior year. They'd also be missing out on the second half of their senior season in HS....and if they're that good, they're probably leading their team deep in the playoffs...so they'd be giving that up.

So, I think it is "legal" from the NCAA's standpoint, but highly unlikely to happen.
If wonder if dual enrollment in HS and college could lead to a player being eligible before semester actually starts if there is that restriction.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Mid-season without the pre-season practice with the team? I just can't see that happening unless a truly exceptional player. Zane Teilane started with the team over Christmas break of her freshman year, but that's a 6'7" player who was drafted by the WNBA.