Kent State

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
leatherface

Saw on the news a story about Kent State and the shooting in 1970 ( I believe). If you don't know, US National Guard troops opened fire on a crowd, killing four- two who were bystanders.( One, if I remember, coming out of the library). Just finishing my sophomore year, and this did and has had an influence on my outlook over the years. Couple this with the Vietnam War, draft lottery, race riots and general change in mores certainly was a unique time to grow up in.

As far as Kent State, that was just wrong. I don't know that anyone was ever punished- there was no imminent threat to the troops. A tragic event, in a unique period of history.
sealhall74

And ten days later, a similar tragic event that I had completely forgotten about. I was only in 8th grade at the time, so I was not impacted by these events as much as if I had I been in college.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat ... tate_N.htm

I think the Vietnam War and the student draft deferment actually was a primary factor in the rapid college growth and expansion during the 60s and early 70s. I am guessing that probably a quarter of the males were there simply to get that student deferment. Plus, if a guy heads off to college to avoid the draft, probably so too does his sweetheart. IMO, much more diversity on college campuses back then than we see today.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Yes, a lot of males went to college for the deferment. I had a high lottery number so I didn't worry about that too much. Besides the things mentioned in my early post, add the drug culture and hippy lifestyle to all of the other " things" going on during this time period, it certainly was a strange time to grow up.