"Liked" button

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
xman

Would anyone else be interested in using a "Like" button for others posts? I found them useful on other boards I've frequented. TIA...... :)
Tere North

xman wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:54 pm Would anyone else be interested in using a "Like" button for others posts?
I know I'd like it. Then I could "like" your comment without typing a response 8-)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'd also like this. Someone get the admin on this. That lazy bastard is probably sitting around watching Netflix...oh...wait.

Seriously though, I've looked a couple of times before and there's only one or two plugins that do this, and none of them have been updated in years (as of last check last fall). I'll give it another look in the next couple of days to see if there might be something out there. If not, there's the "nuclear option"...aka blowing it all up and starting over again with different forum software. I'd prefer not to go that route if I can help it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 pm I'd also like this. Someone get the admin on this. That lazy bastard is probably sitting around watching Netflix...oh...wait.

Seriously though, I've looked a couple of times before and there's only one or two plugins that do this, and none of them have been updated in years (as of last check last fall). I'll give it another look in the next couple of days to see if there might be something out there. If not, there's the "nuclear option"...aka blowing it all up and starting over again with different forum software. I'd prefer not to go that route if I can help it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like this comment but that’s not an option.
sealhall74

What PHPBB version are we using?
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:41 am What PHPBB version are we using?

Some of the options I've found are:
Topic/Post Reactions - https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2397266
It was marked as "abandoned" as of just over a year ago. Essentially they're saying, "use at your own risk, but we don't recommend it".
Thanks for Posts - https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2423931
Some people have had luck modifying this to change "thanks" to "like".

More on the "nuclear option" side of things, I like the looks of Flarum (https://flarum.org/) but it's still in Beta. They're planning on adding converters from other popular forum software, so I can do things like importing old posts and user accounts and everything, but until it's out of Beta and until they have the import/converter working, I'm not going to switch to anything. I don't want to be having to recreate the user base...again.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:41 am What PHPBB version are we using?

Some of the options I've found are:
Topic/Post Reactions - https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2397266
It was marked as "abandoned" as of just over a year ago. Essentially they're saying, "use at your own risk, but we don't recommend it".
Thanks for Posts - https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2423931
Some people have had luck modifying this to change "thanks" to "like".

More on the "nuclear option" side of things, I like the looks of Flarum (https://flarum.org/) but it's still in Beta. They're planning on adding converters from other popular forum software, so I can do things like importing old posts and user accounts and everything, but until it's out of Beta and until they have the import/converter working, I'm not going to switch to anything. I don't want to be having to recreate the user base...again.
Just from a user interface perspective, this seems like a pretty easy change to incorporate. You probably want a "thumbs down" in addition to the "thumbs ups". And of course, you would need to allow users be able to change their mind on a post. On the database side, I think I could do by adding one column to the posts table which contained a reasonably simple JSON object for each post. A lot of other details could come later (e.g. keeping track of likes and unlikes on a per user basis). Really surprising no one has a finished and trustworty extension but I think it has something to do with PHPBB changing a lot of internals during the upgrades from 3.0.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Question, could a mini poll, by default, be included essentially as a footer of each post? We already have the poll option, so adding a Like vs Not Like polling option might be one way to accomplish this without using an iffy plugin or going nuclear and asking Scott to start all over.
xman

I like everyone's comments, lol. Thanks SL for looking into it, I'm new around here so trust everything that is in place..... :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

xman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am I like everyone's comments, lol. Thanks SL for looking into it, I'm new around here so trust everything that is in place..... :D
It's always good to have a fresh set of eyes on things every now and then. When you've seen the site as many times as I have, a lot of it kinda fades into the background and I don't notice things that could maybe be "touched up" a bit. I welcome any suggestions/ideas you (or anyone) might have. I can't promise I can make everything happen...sometimes there's just technical limitations (not possible given the setup, nobody has made a plugin for it yet, I'm not smart enough to code something to do it, etc.), but I'll definitely take a look and see what I can do.