Blast from the Past

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Saw this pop up online today...highlights from ~25 years ago.

The 1994 team finished 8-3 overall, with a 4-2 record (2nd place) in the Gateway Conference. The season started with an easy home win over (then NAIA) Iowa Wesleyan, 42-0, then a I-A (now known as FBS) road trip to Western Michigan, where the Leathernecks were on the receiving end of the blowout, losing 43-7.
Starting in on the conference season, WIU hosted Illinois State, but lost 17-0. They then traveled to Missouri State, winning a 31-24 matchup in overtime, followed up by 3 more wins in a row, 24-21 at Southern Illinois, 38-17 against Indiana State (WIU's Homecoming), and 23-13 against Eastern Illinois. Playing at then #7 ranked (and eventual conference champion) UNI, the Leathernecks fell 36-27, but finished out the season strong with non-conference wins over Jacksonville State (42-27), Buffalo (at that time a I-AA team, 49-7), and a complete beatdown of Murray State (73-17). WIU finished the season ranked #24, but since the I-AA playoffs were 16 teams at the time, WIU did not participate in the postseason. Then-Independent Youngstown State would eventually win the I-AA championship that year, led by Coach Jim Tressel (eventual Ohio State championship-winning coach and current YSU president).

Players on the All-Gateway team were:

FIRST TEAM
Kendall McDonald, RB - Ran for 1,015 yards (112.78/game) and 10 TDs
Richard Huddleston, OL
Buck Phillips, RS - Conference Newcomer of the Year, averaged 20.4 yards per kickoff return and 19.3 yards per punt return with 3 punt returns for TDs (season record for a Leatherneck), also had 1 INT returned for TD that season
Rob St. Sauver, QB - Conference Offensive Player of the Year, 141.8 season efficiency rating, 2361 yards and 21 TDs
Ross Schulte, P - Averaged 42.3 yards per punt for the season
Gunnard Twyner, WR - 852 receiving yards with 9 TDs on 48 receptions, and had 4 TD catches in one game (against Buffalo), which is still tied for the conference record.
Jason Vasconez, LB - led the team with 126 total tackles (47 solo, 79 assisted, with 3 TFL), and had 4 fumble recoveries

SECOND TEAM
Keith Jones, PK
Adam Love, OL
Frank Spraggins, DB - 7 interceptions in the season (as a freshman), would eventually set the WIU record (still standing) for career interceptions with 17 and tie the career record for passes broken up with 36.

HONORABLE MENTION
Fabien Bownes, WR
Harvie Harrington, DL
Gil Plasencia, OL

Fabian Bownes ended up playing 6 years in the NFL (3 with the Bears, and 3 with the Seahawks). Gunnard Twyner played one season with the Bengals and Saints, spent time in the Arena Football League and is currently a a coach with the Indianapolis Colts.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000