2019 Week 4 - Western Illinois vs Tennessee Tech

leatherneckcountry

xman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 am With all the doom and gloom already mentioned about the season, I'll just go ahead and throw this in as well. The TV coverage is horrible, even worse than the play on field. Sucks you can't even get decent at best coverage of the game. I don't understand how the whole ESPN3 and Plus telecasts work, but they suck, and bad. Sorry rant over, Go Leathernecks..... :D
Yeah it’s kind of a double edge sword cause that’s what makes the WIU broadcasting program so great is that they get the hands on experience but sometimes the quality is sacrificed. I wonder if they would ever consider working out some sort of deal with WGEM to have a couple of there guys to announce the games like Bradley use to do.
wiu712

ESPN is charging people $4.99 per month for their ESPN+ programming.

They have some responsibility in putting out a quality product.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 am ESPN is charging people $4.99 per month for their ESPN+ programming.

They have some responsibility in putting out a quality product.
Yes, but if they actually sent a professional crew to every game they cover...I doubt they'd be able to afford to cover most FCS games (without charging more). If it was even low-ESPN-level quality or nothing, WIU football wouldn't be "aired" anywhere.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Syncing the radio stream with the video stream is what should be done now for Football, Men's and Women's BB. Other sports not so important, give the kids some time in front of the camera. Down the road we might be able to do better.
Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

As someone who has listened to the young announcers during basketball, I found it entertaining(and sometimes a bit punishing) to listen to the students. It is certainly a great chance to measure the talent and their differing levels of preparation. It may be that an instructor or local radio talent should accompany some of these aspiring broadcasters. It may be that some preparation be graded prior to the on air experience.
wiu712

In Saturday's "McDonough County Voice", Scott Holland talked about the new Red-shirt rules:

Saturday’s game was not just the last before the bye, but it also Week 4 and marks decision time for Western coaches.

With the NCAA red-shirt rule, teams can play players in up to four games before having to decide to redshirt an athlete, or play them the rest of the season.

For Elliott, after this week he’ll have to make decisions on many players who have suited up for this team and whether they will get the redshirt or not.

Running back Jordan Schippers was in the backfield last week against Montana State and is just one of several players WIU coaches need to evaluate.

“My thought is, and he’s (Schippers) not the only guy because we have a couple guys that we’re going to look at after Game Four and sit down as a staff and make some very hardline decisions, because if you play them one more time, that redshirt is gone,” Elliott said. “After this week, we’re going to collectively look at the variables that go into that decision, where that player is in their development, where we are depth-wise, where we are health-wise and knowing we have a long season ahead of us.“

Injuries in the backfield and at the skill positions may force Elliott’s hand when it comes to Schippers, but the coach also acknowledges key contributions from other players who the Leathernecks may need on the field the rest of the way.

“We’re going to have to make those decisions, Jordan is one, Ty O’Janovac on the offensive line has played a lot for us as a true freshman, we have some guys who have,” the coach said. “My thought is, you get through those first four games then you really step back and evaluate where they are as a player and where we are as a team.”
rocki

Is Joe Turk out as well?
wiu712

Football loses fourth straight after battling the Golden Eagles and the elements.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45283/sports ... -elements/
letsgonecks

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am In Saturday's "McDonough County Voice", Scott Holland talked about the new Red-shirt rules:

Saturday’s game was not just the last before the bye, but it also Week 4 and marks decision time for Western coaches.

With the NCAA red-shirt rule, teams can play players in up to four games before having to decide to redshirt an athlete, or play them the rest of the season.

For Elliott, after this week he’ll have to make decisions on many players who have suited up for this team and whether they will get the redshirt or not.

Running back Jordan Schippers was in the backfield last week against Montana State and is just one of several players WIU coaches need to evaluate.

“My thought is, and he’s (Schippers) not the only guy because we have a couple guys that we’re going to look at after Game Four and sit down as a staff and make some very hardline decisions, because if you play them one more time, that redshirt is gone,” Elliott said. “After this week, we’re going to collectively look at the variables that go into that decision, where that player is in their development, where we are depth-wise, where we are health-wise and knowing we have a long season ahead of us.“

Injuries in the backfield and at the skill positions may force Elliott’s hand when it comes to Schippers, but the coach also acknowledges key contributions from other players who the Leathernecks may need on the field the rest of the way.

“We’re going to have to make those decisions, Jordan is one, Ty O’Janovac on the offensive line has played a lot for us as a true freshman, we have some guys who have,” the coach said. “My thought is, you get through those first four games then you really step back and evaluate where they are as a player and where we are as a team.”
I'm pretty sure the rule is participate in 4 games and not first 4 weeks. If so, then nothing to contemplate at this time as Jordon nor Ty played in all 4 games.

Could be wrong, but pretty sure
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm I'm pretty sure the rule is participate in 4 games and not first 4 weeks. If so, then nothing to contemplate at this time as Jordon nor Ty played in all 4 games.

Could be wrong, but pretty sure
You are correct. It's not "first 4 games", it's "any 4 games". That actually includes the playoffs. I remember that specifically because Bison fans were asking over at AGS about if they could play freshmen in their early playoff games. Often those are bigger blowouts than most of their MVFC games. So, when they're 35 points up on Montana State at halftime (like last year) or 42 points up on Sam Houston State halfway through the 3rd (like in 2017), they can put in some young guys to get them experience.

So, if you wanted, you could have a freshman play in the opening game, homecoming, the final home game, and the FCS championship game...and not use up their redshirt.

Now, this year, for example, if they do have any true freshmen who have gotten into all 4 games so far, then they would need to make a decision now whether to sit them the rest of the season or burn the redshirt. Personally, I would say sit them. Don't waste redshirts on a year we know we're already pretty much "out of it" already.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000