Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

The Concert List in and around Macomb is actually pretty impressive over the years.  One question, where is/was "The Outskirts"?  
It appears that my first year at WIU was the "heyday" as they say with 13 events. Pretty sure a few were in the Grand Ballroom of the Union.  Fleetwood Mac, Gordon Lightfoot, Beach Boys, Duke Ellington,  ... Wow is all I can say.  Wish I had went to a few when I was there.  The only one I remember going to later years was Firefall Or was it Pure Prairie League.  Who sang "Amie"?  Good tune but I think I saw Firefall in 1980.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=macomb+il

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:45 am The Concert List in and around Macomb is actually pretty impressive over the years.  One question, where is/was "The Outskirts"?  
It appears that my first year at WIU was the "heyday" as they say with 13 events. Pretty sure a few were in the Grand Ballroom of the Union.  Fleetwood Mac, Gordon Lightfoot, Beach Boys, Duke Ellington,  ... Wow is all I can say.  Wish I had went to a few when I was there.  The only one I remember going to later years was Firefall Or was it Pure Prairie League.  Who sang "Amie"?  Good tune but I think I saw Firefall in 1980.

"Outskirts" was where Skateland used to be back in the day. It, too, is no more.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:33 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:45 am The Concert List in and around Macomb is actually pretty impressive over the years.  One question, where is/was "The Outskirts"?  

"Outskirts" was where Skateland used to be back in the day. It, too, is no more.

OK, I do recall roller skating there a few times.  Never did a drive-in movie though which I believe was next door.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:04 pm
rocki wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:33 am

OK, I do recall roller skating there a few times.  Never did a drive-in movie though which I believe was next door.

Yep. In fact, I believe the drive in screen is still up - in lousy shape, but still there. Fun times there, too!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:20 pm Yep. In fact, I believe the drive in screen is still up - in lousy shape, but still there. Fun times there, too!

You can even see it on google maps (well, the top of it): https://goo.gl/maps/em6s3Lnivvm7cCwr7

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Found another example of things we might be able to have here with the new CPA. Wasau, WI (a little bigger than Macomb, but not significantly so) has their 890 seat Grand Theater.
Here's their event calendar: https://tickets.grandtheater.org/events
The 2022/2023 season includes musicals like: touring production of the Book of Mormon (two performances, also interestingly enough, the music director for that tour is a WIU alumni), Million Dollar Quartet Christmas, Hairspray, Spongebob Musical, Chicago, The Lightning Thief.
Also, numerous musical acts (both solo and group), tribute musical acts (Queen, Rush, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Prince, etc), comedians, chinese acrobats, japanese drummers, and "An Evening with Michael J. Fox". The Wasau Community Theatre also does performances there, which is something they could maybe look at for Macomb because the Macomb Community Theater does not currently have a home (they did their last performance at the 4-H center on the west side of town).

If a small production (something that doesn't require a huge stage setup) is in the area already...St. Louis, Peoria, Springfield, Quad Cities...then it might often work for them to swing through for a mid-week performance in Macomb. I'm hoping that they'll be able to kick off the inaugural season with some pretty big name stuff.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:36 am Found another example of things we might be able to have here with the new CPA. Wasau, WI (a little bigger than Macomb, but not significantly so) has their 890 seat Grand Theater.
Here's their event calendar: https://tickets.grandtheater.org/events
The 2022/2023 season includes musicals like: touring production of the Book of Mormon (two performances, also interestingly enough, the music director for that tour is a WIU alumni), Million Dollar Quartet Christmas, Hairspray, Spongebob Musical, Chicago, The Lightning Thief.
Also, numerous musical acts (both solo and group), tribute musical acts (Queen, Rush, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Prince, etc), comedians, chinese acrobats, japanese drummers, and "An Evening with Michael J. Fox". The Wasau Community Theatre also does performances there, which is something they could maybe look at for Macomb because the Macomb Community Theater does not currently have a home (they did their last performance at the 4-H center on the west side of town).

If a small production (something that doesn't require a huge stage setup) is in the area already...St. Louis, Peoria, Springfield, Quad Cities...then it might often work for them to swing through for a mid-week performance in Macomb. I'm hoping that they'll be able to kick off the inaugural season with some pretty big name stuff.

Very true, size-wise, the PAC should be able to accomodate some decent performances.  But IMHO, what really makes that Grand Theater in Wausau and the Adler here in the QC successful is the community engagement, non-stop fund-raising, and most importantly, a few donors with very deep pockets.  A public college cannot be the sole source of that funding effort.

You know what half-time act I really want to see at Western Hall this winter?  Gotta be the one, the only, Red Panda.

wiu712

Western Illinois University Center for Performing Arts Groundbreaking Ceremony - Oct. 7, 2022

wiu712

WIU aims to expand enrollment, economy after breaking ground on new center for performing arts.
From WQAD-TV, Moline:
https://www.wqad.com/article/news/educa ... f8165927b3

WIUSuperFan

Great to see this project finally off the ground after decades of delays. I hope this serves students nicely.
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu