OVC Expansion

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
meganeck

I agree with some that have mentioned, I wouldn't be opposed to joining the OVC if it didn't include football. Myers seemed to really point out how he was excited to compete in the MVFC, so i think it wouldn't look good if we left the MVFC for the OVC after his comments in his press conference. Hopefully he is in the loop or it was at least discussed with him during the interview process etc. Also any idea if the head coaches have any sayor they get their opinion on leaving a conference or is it more of an administrative decision and coaches don't really get any input.
may know

Pretty obvious we have an invite from the OVC and are extensively analyzing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the goal was to wait for OVC football to fold before joining the OVC.
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 891659002/
WIU2DC

may know wrote:Pretty obvious we have an invite from the OVC and are extensively analyzing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the goal was to wait for OVC football to fold before joining the OVC.
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 891659002/
That would be ideal. OVC football fold and then us join them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L'Étranger

I can 100% tell you my son wouldn't be in Macomb if WIU wasn't in the MVFC. The allure of the 'best of the FCS' is what drew him there. If there's a move for football to the OVC I don't know what the allure will be. Better to be Vanderbilt than U NM.

That said, I get where it could make sense for other sports.
WIU2DC

L'Étranger wrote:I can 100% tell you my son wouldn't be in Macomb if WIU wasn't in the MVFC. The allure of the 'best of the FCS' is what drew him there. If there's a move for football to the OVC I don't know what the allure will be. Better to be Vanderbilt than U NM.

That said, I get where it could make sense for other sports.

But let’s aim to be better than Vanderbilt in the MVFC. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huskie

Everyone needs to stop talking about the OVC, IT'S DEAD! 

may know

huskie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 am Everyone needs to stop talking about the OVC, IT'S DEAD! 

If OVC loses a couple FB schools, say TN State to SWAC and TN Tech to ASUN, OVC football is dead. At that point, OVC would be adding us, Southern Indiana, & Lincoln Memorial. 

We could have the same arrangement as YSU - FB stays in MVFC. It actually helps out the Summit League, as we’re an outlier geographically and competitively.
sealhall74

may wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:51 am
huskie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 am Everyone needs to stop talking about the OVC, IT'S DEAD! 

If OVC loses a couple FB schools, say TN State to SWAC and TN Tech to ASUN, OVC football is dead. At that point, OVC would be adding us, Southern Indiana, & Lincoln Memorial. 

We could have the same arrangement as YSU - FB stays in MVFC. It actually helps out the Summit League, as we’re an outlier geographically and competitively.

Where does SEMO and EIU play their football then?  MVFC adding a couple more schools maybe?  Two divisions?  Summit and MVFC merger? What is the practical limit on how big a conference can be?  I could see a MVC/MVFC/Summit Merger happening.   North Middle South divisions.

Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:45 pm
may wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:51 am

Where does SEMO and EIU play their football then?  MVFC adding a couple more schools maybe?  Two divisions?  Summit and MVFC merger? What is the practical limit on how big a conference can be?  I could see a MVC/MVFC/Summit Merger happening.   North Middle South divisions.

Plus what happens if UST decides they want to move to the valley for football

may know

There will never be a MVC/MVFC/Summit merger. That's not in the realm of possibility. The MVC, with Belmont and Murray St, is a significantly stronger basketball conference than the Summit. 

But I don't think an OVC move is dead if they lose 2 more FB schools. I doubt the MVFC would kick us out for moving to a non-FB league, as that would be the same situation as YSU. And I think the Dakota's would be glad we're out of the Summit. 

The likes of EIU/SEMO/UTM would probably just end up as FB-only affiliates of the SLC, which is dangerously on FB membership.