2021 Season (Spring-ish)

letsgonecks

44 days until WIU football. Sorry Scott, if you already had something planned, but couldn't hold out any longer. The excitement of the new bball team has faded and I'm locked in on football now.

I know we have the thread for the 2020 season, but thought we'd get a new one going since it'll officially be in 2021.

Crazy to think major college and NFL is in the home stretch and we're getting ready for our season. Has sucked to not have, but if all goes as planned, we'll get football during the normal period of no football.

Still lots of unknows of who's going to be back for sure and who might still be added. Probably only a few locks for starters and lots of talent on paper fighting for those other spots.

Can someone confirm when they'll be back practicing for the season?

Anyone want to start speculating starters? Sampson starting or Ogala taking the reigns? We have about 20 DB's on the roster with lots of transfers and plenty from the 2 deep last season, so who's locking in those spots.

Can't wait.
GV Dad

They posted most of the game times today. The UND and YSU games in Macomb are both 7pm starts. A little different having Saturday night games, but also different having games in the Spring... so
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 pm They posted most of the game times today. The UND and YSU games in Macomb are both 7pm starts. A little different having Saturday night games, but also different having games in the Spring... so
I'd imagine that for parents having to travel a bit to get here (like you guys), it might work better actually. You can drive here in the morning/afternoon, watch the game, stay the night, drive home on Sunday. You guys probably had to come over Friday evening for most of the Saturday early afternoon games that we usually have.

We're currently scheduled to be able to step "back" a tier for our covid restrictions in about a week (limited indoor dining allowed, for example). Anyone heard anything about how that might affect allowing fans at home football games? I've actually heard that North Dakota is allowing their schools up to 50% capacity at sporting events, but I don't think I'm (personally) ready for that many people. Like I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't think it'll actually be an issue for Western as long as they allow at least 20% of stadium capacity (based on the lack of students on campus and our attendance the last couple of years), but I'm just curious.

Letsgonecks - that's fine, I hadn't really planned anything this year. It's been really hard for me to get into any football this season at any level.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Our 4 home games:

Saturday, March 13 at 1:00 PM: Northern Iowa.

Saturday, March 27 at 7:00 PM: North Dakota.

Saturday, April 3 at 7:00 PM: Youngstown State.

Saturday, April 17 at 1:00 PM: Indiana State. This will be the Homecoming game.

https://goleathernecks.com/sports/football/schedule
letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 pm They posted most of the game times today. The UND and YSU games in Macomb are both 7pm starts. A little different having Saturday night games, but also different having games in the Spring... so
GV, when do they start the season practice?
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:08 am
GV, when do they start the season practice?
Monday, in a limited capacity. Not sure when full on "game prep" practices will start.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:15 pm
I'd imagine that for parents having to travel a bit to get here (like you guys), it might work better actually. You can drive here in the morning/afternoon, watch the game, stay the night, drive home on Sunday. You guys probably had to come over Friday evening for most of the Saturday early afternoon games that we usually have.

I usually drive up early Saturday morning, leave KC around 5am. I actually booked Friday night rooms for this Spring, not sure I want to be on the road at 5am in the winter weather. So ya, the 7pm games are great for me!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:48 am I usually drive up early Saturday morning, leave KC around 5am. I actually booked Friday night rooms for this Spring, not sure I want to be on the road at 5am in the winter weather. So ya, the 7pm games are great for me!
Sounds good. Whenever you're making the drive, drive safe. Hope to see you and your crew at Hanson Field this spring.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

GV Dad

The roster on the website is updated to show who has left the team from Fall. The new guys aren't there yet, but my guess is they will be soon.