2021 Offseason Roster Changes

meganeck

What does anybody think this team needs> Post players? outside shooters? Just curious i didn't really watch them play this year
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:43 pm What does anybody think this team needs> Post players? outside shooters? Just curious i didn't really watch them play this year
Strength (physicality) and consistency of scoring from the 4 and 5 positions. I think Pearson and Anhold are the best guys we have seen there in quite a while. But Pearson seemed to be more of a "Disappearson" at times. Carius is a natural 3 and was spending way too much time in the paint. Actually, IMHO, we need a lot of weight room work for the whole group to compete with the upper level teams in the conference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

Just saw there are 800+ kids in the transfer portal and at this time last year, there were just under 450 names. the 800+ kids are players at all levels not just D1 players.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Will Carius has one more year left in him.

“Will the Thrill is returning to Western Illinois for one more go around, and the goals are simple: 1. win the league tournament; 2. make a run in the NCAA Tournament; 3. earn first-team recognition.”

https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/3/ ... hrill.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm Will Carius has one more year left in him.

“Will the Thrill is returning to Western Illinois for one more go around, and the goals are simple: 1. win the league tournament; 2. make a run in the NCAA Tournament; 3. earn first-team recognition.”

https://goleathernecks.com/news/2021/3/ ... hrill.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is HUGE!!!!! Maybe we land another stud via transfer and this team could be very good.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pmThat is HUGE!!!!! Maybe we land another stud via transfer and this team could be very good.
I think transfers are going to be key to a lot of team's gameplans over the next season, but you're right, we could use one more really good player. Keeping in mind that this year was a "free" year, I'll put down the number of years that each player should have available to them going forward, if they want to continue playing.

Of the guys who were the top scorers this last season:
Will Carius, 1 year, 14.7 ppg - coming back
Tamell Pearson, 2 years, 10.4 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning
Colton Sandage, 2 years, 9.5 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning
Rod Johnson Jr., 1 year, 8.3 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning
Ramean Hinton, 4 years, 7.6 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning
Justin Brookens, 2 years, 6.9 ppg - has entered the transfer portal
Adam Anhold, 2 years, 6.5 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning
Anthony Jones, 1 year, 6.2 ppg - has entered the transfer portal
Cameron Burrell, 2 years, 5.7 ppg - have not heard anything to indicate he is not returning

Assuming the ones that haven't said anything yet are planning on coming back, then the returning players listed above include all the top 5 players in the following categories:
Minutes per game - Carius, Johnson, Pearson, Burrell, Sandage
Rebounds per game - Pearson, Burrell, Johnson, Carius, Hinton

And four of the top 5 in steals (Burrell, Carius, Hinton, Sandage, then Marcus Watson, who is leaving).

I'm also interested to see what's the deal with JJ Flores. Seemed to do ok off the bench in two early games (UT-Martin and DePaul), but I seem to remember someone saying he was banged up a bit, and then we didn't see him afterwards. Limited sample size, but in those two games, shot .429 in FGs, .500 in 3pts, and .750 in FTs. He's a Junior who should have 2 seasons left that he can play.

If VerbalCommits.com is correct (https://verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois), we have 9 players on-scholarship currently, with 1 verbally committed incoming freshman (Jonathan Dunn), which should leave us with 3 4 more scholarships available. We know that Coach Jeter has targeted at least a couple of transfers so far (Tyler Poindexter from Tallahassee Community College and Terrance Thompson from UW-Green Bay), so hopefully in amongst those guys and the other freshmen we have offers out for, we might get another 1-2 really solid players and I think we'll be in good shape for next season.
letsgonecks

If VerbalCommits.com is correct (https://verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois), we have 9 players on-scholarship currently, with 1 verbally committed incoming freshman (Jonathan Dunn), which should leave us with 3 more scholarships available. We know that Coach Jeter has targeted at least a couple of transfers so far (Tyler Poindexter from Tallahassee Community College and Terrance Thompson from UW-Green Bay), so hopefully in amongst those guys and the other freshmen we have offers out for, we might get another 1-2 really solid players and I think we'll be in good shape for next season.
Dunn is reclassifying and going the Prep School route, so have 4 scholarships. Would have liked his addition for the future, but win now approach wants some power 5 guys looking for playing time and scoring.

https://thebasketballmovement.com/blog/ ... ssify-2022
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 amDunn is reclassifying and going the Prep School route, so have 4 scholarships. Would have liked his addition for the future, but win now approach wants some power 5 guys looking for playing time and scoring.
https://thebasketballmovement.com/blog/ ... ssify-2022
Thanks, fixed my earlier post.
leatherneckcountry

Averaged about 9.5 ppg and 4rpg in one year at Lamar was @ Triton before that.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Nice, here's some more info:

Quinlan Bennett, 6'3", 205lb
From Proviso East HS in Chicago
Played for Triton College (River Grove, IL) for 2 years
Played for Lamar University (TX) last year, playing in 15 games (starting 14), 27.7 minutes per game, 9.6 ppg, 18 steals, 18 assists, 4.3 rebounds per game, .488 on FGs, .250 on 3pts, .579 on FTs.
That on a team that was a little bit better than we were last year - Lamar was 10-18, 290th in BPI; WIU was 7-15, 310 in BPI.

Since this last season didn't count against eligibility, he has two years remaining.