Fire Coach Elliott

Western_101

Might as well start a thread for the inevitable. The wins we got in 2018 were mostly due to Senior leadership and well Bob's recruits.......let's be honest.

Charlie was a good Coach, not a good recruiter.

Coach Elliot should have never been tasked with taking on this team . Coach Bob f****d us over. We can all at least agree upon that. Coach Charlie was a heck of a good coach with BOB'S guys....guess he forgot to recruit. I think we all can also agree Charile f****d us over.....yes we did get screwed by the NCAA having to fly to Utah for our eighth road game. We had four home games. What the actual F. Oh yeah we beat an FBS team that year too. I think It was too much for Charlie to bare, broken promises lack of funding. bye bye........enter a guy at the 11th hour that really has no business coaching D-I. It was a convenient and affordable ......and weak. Was there anyone on this board that thought Jarred (at his young age and lack of HC experience) could lead a team with limited resources made available to this program to have success in this league ?

I thought this was the beginning of the end. I used to be so proud of Leatherneck Football. Sad, that it has become an embarrassment.

sealhall74

So history repeats itself with coaching F-ups? Who'd've thunk that? If we don't have the money to recruit, hire, and upgrade facilities competitively within the toughest FCS conference, we need to get out sooner rather than later. It could be a move to the OVC or even be a move down a lower level. I just want us to be competitive every week we step on the field.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

Top 3 MVFC, and two wins in the playoffs in the fall or WIU better move on. He is going to be 7-25 over three seasons. Unless there is talk of our squad being a top 10 team this fall we need to move on. The kids deserve better than this. Coaches have won in Macomb with with all of our money issues, so I don’t accept that as an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vatusay

I think there would be many well qualified coaches putting their hat in the ring. I can’t remember if there was even a search last time. IIRC wasn’t there a scuttlebutt over that process not following proper procedure with Elliot?
#ALLIN #YOLO
meganeck

vatusay wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:36 pm I think there would be many well qualified coaches putting their hat in the ring. I can’t remember if there was even a search last time. IIRC wasn’t there a scuttlebutt over that process not following proper procedure with Elliot?
Am I remembering correctly, wasn't there a lot of players lobbying for Elliott to get the job - not that that matters and that should dictate who got the job, but just seemed it was a popular hire at the time.

Also do we know how players aren't playing in the Spring. I think it has been the mentioned the RB transfer from Auburn hasn't played are their others we know of.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pmAm I remembering correctly, wasn't there a lot of players lobbying for Elliott to get the job - not that that matters and that should dictate who got the job, but just seemed it was a popular hire at the time.
I think that is correct. At the time, our team was doing fairly decently. We had gone 6-5, then 8-4 in Fisher's second year (and got sent to Weber State for the first round of the playoffs). So, our team was good, many of the players seemed to really like Elliott and wanted him to get the HC spot, and I think that the people in charge were hoping that he could sustain Fisher's success. Part of the thought was that going with Elliott and keeping much of the same staff would help us keep a large number of the players (rather than seeing them transfer elsewhere).

Whether that success was due to Fisher's coaching abilities or maybe Nielson's recruiting abilities, that success has obviously not continued. I feel like it's time for a change, but I don't know what the best timing for that would be...after this spring season, or after this fall.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Kind of ironic - looking at the other MVFC team message boards, "Fire Coach _____" seems to be a prevalent topic across the board.
GV Dad

meganeck wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pm
vatusay wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:36 pm I think there would be many well qualified coaches putting their hat in the ring. I can’t remember if there was even a search last time. IIRC wasn’t there a scuttlebutt over that process not following proper procedure with Elliot?
Also do we know how players aren't playing in the Spring. I think it has been the mentioned the RB transfer from Auburn hasn't played are their others we know of.
9 of the 22 players that would have started last Fall are out for the Spring season either from injury or Opting out.
sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:44 pm
9 of the 22 players that would have started last Fall are out for the Spring season either from injury or Opting out.
So the 64K question then is how does these numbers compare to the numbers for other teams in the conference. That, and if you a kid does opt out for the spring season, what does that mean. Does he spend more time in the weight room or less?
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:10 pm
GV Dad wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:44 pm

So the 64K question then is how does these numbers compare to the numbers for other teams in the conference. That, and if you a kid does opt out for the spring season, what does that mean. Does he spend more time in the weight room or less?
I have no way of knowing that. I did hear that ISU had similar issues. All our Opt outs were Seniors that left the team and moved on with life. Jobs, med school, etc.