Fire Coach Elliott

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:While we're talking about days of old, anyone besides me miss this guy?   https://valley-football.org/news/2020/9 ... ichna.aspx

Actually, I looked up what he was doing when I was looking for former QBs who might be in the coaching ranks (other than Frisman Jackson and Jeff Hecklinski, I didn’t find much). Stumbled across that article too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Gah, to go from competing with LSU to this clown show.  Pretty sad.

I still stand by stance of taking a risk on Dereck Leonard out of Rochester. Honestly, just from reading articles on him, he might not even consider it, he seems perfectly content dominating where he is, winning 8 of the last 10 state championships and being highly competitive in the central state eight conference. Which consists on schools bigger than Rochester. Honestly, How could you blame him. He just wins. Has high powered offenses and an ex-qb.  

I know Leonard option has almost zero percent chance of happening.

I would also love to see a coach come in that can bring in some serious transfers. That’s what the program thrived on for years.  Who would be best at that? An old-head big ten assistant somewhere with some deep, long-time connections That wants to give ahead ball coach a try before retiring?  Or, a young guy the players get excited for and maybe transfer to play for looking to move up the ranks? 

I also believe the changes in the overall landscape at WIU has put a major major damper on the ability to attract recruits/transfers, but that’s a whole different discussion. 

I prefer the Don Patterson mold. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

I would go for a HC who wants to call his own plays, preferably offensively but I would be OK with defensively.  Get rid of the middle man.  Learned that from watching Joe Gibbs in the NFL.  Yes, he was a QB in his playing days and had the football savvy to do well at it.  His NFL successes were when he was in charge of calling the offensive plays.  In those days, not uncommon for him to sleep in the office while preparing for games.  Dedication like that is hard to find.  Later in his career, he turned the play-calling job over to assistants and had more interest in watching his Nascar business grow than calling football plays. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:22 am I would go for a HC who wants to call his own plays, preferably offensively but I would be OK with defensively.  Get rid of the middle man.  Learned that from watching Joe Gibbs in the NFL.  Yes, he was a QB in his playing days and had the football savvy to do well at it.  His NFL successes were when he was in charge of calling the offensive plays.  In those days, not uncommon for him to sleep in the office while preparing for games.  Dedication like that is hard to find.  Later in his career, he turned the play-calling job over to assistants and had more interest in watching his Nascar business grow than calling football plays. 

As long as he isn't calling idiotic plays, I see no problem with that. Whoever is calling ours appears to have a bad case of "choosing poorly", however.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Gary Patterson is available. I wonder if he's interested in finishing up his coaching career in Macomb (he's 61).

By the way, the interim coach at TCU now is a name many of you should recognize...former SIU and NIU head coach Jerry Kill.
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm Gary Patterson is available. I wonder if he's interested in finishing up his coaching career in Macomb (he's 61).

By the way, the interim coach at TCU now is a name many of you should recognize...former SIU and NIU head coach Jerry Kill.

Kill gets "around" more than my college girlfriend. Good for him, not so much for me lol.
WIU2DC

Western_101 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm Gary Patterson is available. I wonder if he's interested in finishing up his coaching career in Macomb (he's 61).

Kill gets "around" more than my college girlfriend. Good for him, not so much for me lol.
ImageImageImage. I thought Coach Kill retired because of seizures or am I thinking of a different SIU coach?

I have been reading everyone messages about our coaching staff and how hard it is to recruit coaches and players to macomb. Just for debates sake is it worth giving Elliot more time as FBS/FCS landscape plays out to see if we stay in MVFC? I do think Elliot could recruit a winning team in the OVC if we ever moved to that conference. I am by no means a fan of the product he’s put on the field the last 3.5 seasons but everyone’s concern’s are valid about who would be next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:26 amImageImageImage. I thought Coach Kill retired because of seizures or am I thinking of a different SIU coach?

I have been reading everyone messages about our coaching staff and how hard it is to recruit coaches and players to macomb. Just for debates sake is it worth giving Elliot more time as FBS/FCS landscape plays out to see if we stay in MVFC? I do think Elliot could recruit a winning team in the OVC if we ever moved to that conference. I am by no means a fan of the product he’s put on the field the last 3.5 seasons but everyone’s concern’s are valid about who would be next.

No, that's the same coach. He was HC at SIU, then NIU, then Minnesota, but at MN was when he had to step down due to health problems (seizures). He then went back to SIU where he was special assistant to the chancellor, then the athletic director for about a year. He then moved to Virginia Tech where he was assistant to the HC for a year (2019), and in 2020 moved to assistant to the HC at TCU. Apparently Kill and Patterson were good friends (despite never actually working together) already, and then when Patterson was let go at TCU earlier this week, Kill was elevated to the Interim HC. I can't imagine he actually wants the stress of being a full-time P5 HC anymore though, so he'll probably just finish out the season and either move along somewhere else or retire.

Give Elliot more time to see how things play out?....sure, he can have until November 22nd.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 am
WIU2DC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:26 amImageImageImage. I thought Coach Kill retired because of seizures or am I thinking of a different SIU coach?

No, that's the same coach. He was HC at SIU, then NIU, then Minnesota, but at MN was when he had to step down due to health problems (seizures). He then went back to SIU where he was special assistant to the chancellor, then the athletic director for about a year. He then moved to Virginia Tech where he was assistant to the HC for a year (2019), and in 2020 moved to assistant to the HC at TCU. Apparently Kill and Patterson were good friends (despite never actually working together) already, and then when Patterson was let go at TCU earlier this week, Kill was elevated to the Interim HC. I can't imagine he actually wants the stress of being a full-time P5 HC anymore though, so he'll probably just finish out the season and either move along somewhere else or retire.

Give Elliot more time to see how things play out?....sure, he can have until November 22nd.

So if a team decides to make a move to a new conference, what is the most advantageous time to announce it?  I guess if it a perceived move "up", it makes sense to announce it as soon as you can.  If it is a move down the ladder like a move to the OVC might be, when do you announce it?  Recruiting kids/assistants who think they will be playing/working in MVFC and pulling the rug out from under them can't be very good for business and will cost you a few bodies in collateral damage without a doubt. 

Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

I'm not sure many Coaches would have been "successful" in the environment that Jared had to deal with for the last 4 years.  Has he taken care of everything within his control, most likely not.  But blaming all the struggles on Jared is very unfair.  If your Boss and your Boss's boss were completely incompetent and could also not care less about your work how successful would you guys be?  But the Head Coach is always the easiest person to blame, I understand that.  

For any Coach, the next one or the current one, to be successful at WIU they will need the following.

1) Support from the Administration.  
2) A new AD that actually cares about the job.  
3) Commitment from the AD and Alumni to upgrade facilities.  Football can be a huge revenue source for your school if you invest in it.
4) A schedule that allows for some success (see item 2 above).  No MVFC team should be in the top 10 in strength of schedule, much less the top.  The Conf schedule is tough enough.  
5) Moving to the OVC will not solve the problem.  The main reason kids come to WIU is to play in the Valley.  It's really the only non personal reason to play here.