Fall 2021 - Week 2 - at Montana

WIU2DC

Obviously last night was not the end result any of us or the team wanted to happen. But, I think we have to take it for what it is… we are not at the level of competing with the top dogs of the FCS. I personally think Montana wins the MAC this year and arguably most G5 leagues. We need a better showing against EWU this Saturday. EWU is a good team but shouldn’t be as good as Montana or Ball State.

On the topic of Sampson and Olga, I don’t have the answer. Sampson shows he can ball but then makes terrible mistakes that a 3 year starter shouldn’t make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

Western had 151 total yards of Offense:  40 Rushing and 111 Passing.
Western_101

Western does not have the ability to recruit head to head with State Flagship schools. Even ISU and UNI have suffered. 

The biggest problem is Western has the least good facilities and is in a remote location (In comparison to our counterparts and where students arrive from).

The big two downfalls of Western are in my opinion Dr. Smiley and Dr. Thomas. two decades apart.

Dr. Smiley advocated for womens sports.  That is it, that is the coda. Never mind we had the Huge Impact and surge of interest that was afforded to us as an NFL town in 1995.  Absolutely given the conference we were in and the added aura of being an NFL town WIU did well in that era. This was the time to invest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time has past. The Rams moved out of Macomb and ultimatley out of the entire region. Why?  

No investment. 

With regards to Dr. Thomas, dude, leave. Just leave. He was a product of an HBCU.  I feel like it is hard to confirm, however it sure seemed like this dude wanted us on a HBCU path. So how F***ed up is that?

Well the big one is Western Is part of the Military Tract (that is not my nomenclature), All of the counties West of the Illinois River and Roughly South of Galesburg were put up as compensation for Cival War efforts for troops that survived to start a new life.

I notice demographics. White flight on his tenure. Held the Board hostage for a lot of money to take his terms or he would further degrade Western. So... Dr.Thomas got his big payout and landed back as president at (HBCU) Central State University.  Yup.

The board that governs Western holds the bulk of responsibility for these avoidable calamities. 

Dr. Smiley wanted all girls to play, but who will pay? 

FOOTBALL is in charge of everything! It is the Lens That the Public and the potential students sees us through. We had a time where we had the momentum and enthusiasm... oh yeah...it's called winning back in the Randy Ball era. That was the time when Western failed, we just didn't know it yet. 

Tere North

Western_101 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:11 pm FOOTBALL is in charge of everything! It is the Lens That the Public and the potential students sees us through. We had a time where we had the momentum and enthusiasm... oh yeah...it's called winning back in the Randy Ball era. That was the time when Western failed, we just didn't know it yet. 

Tell that to Connecticut, Stanford, Duke, and many more. 

You have a narrow view the world, Western 101. 

And Dr. Smiley was one of the bet ADs Western has ever had. 

If you want your daughters to stay in the kitchen, marry young, and have lots of kids, fine. 

This is not the dark ages anymore.

Last edited by Tere North on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:20 am
Western_101 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:11 pm FOOTBALL is in charge of everything! It is the Lens That the Public and the potential students sees us through. We had a time where we had the momentum and enthusiasm... oh yeah...it's called winning back in the Randy Ball era. That was the time when Western failed, we just didn't know it yet. 

Tell that to Connecticut, Stanford, and many more. 

You have a narrow view the world, Western 101. 

And Dr. Smiley was one of the bet ADs Western has ever had. 

If you want your daughters to stay in the kitchen, marry young, and have lots of kids, fine. 

This is not the dark ages anymore.

Just to be clear, it was the War of 1812, right?  We would not want misinformation to be spread across the network wires.  
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

What a buzzkill, literally.....had a gathering of 7 other WIU buddies to do some golf and day drinking.  Was going very well up until the end of the half TD, I felt we had a chance. 

Could tell they were much better, but potentially down only a score at half and not clicking on offense yet gave me hope.  Then the TD and second half brought me and my buzz down to earth.  Luckily, was able to drink through the pain and enjoy the rest of the night!!!!

Plan has been to head down to Macomb for the game this week and still happening, but less excited.  Hoping for a major rebound, but concerned we'll be unable to slow them down or win a shootout.

letsgonecks

Oh yeah, lost my shit on the waved off TD.  2 weeks in a row there's a phantom call effecting points and not by the official looking right at it.  They need to get together and say no foul on the play. 

Nice stunt by UM and even better picked by Choquette, then an amazing catch by Houston. All for not because Muetterties reached out right as the cut block took place and was by no means engaged. Only makes contact after the cut and his hand barley touching the shoulder pad. To make things worse, the announce says I thought I saw it I swear and then even after the replay, confirms it happened and was talking about the guard blocking someone completely different. 

We still lose, but 7 to 7 and momentum could have made this a different game.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:11 pmWith regards to Dr. Thomas, dude, leave. Just leave. He was a product of an HBCU.  I feel like it is hard to confirm, however it sure seemed like this dude wanted us on a HBCU path. So how F***ed up is that?

I notice demographics. White flight on his tenure. Held the Board hostage for a lot of money to take his terms or he would further degrade Western. So... Dr.Thomas got his big payout and landed back as president at (HBCU) Central State University.  Yup.

I also disagree with you on the your comments about Dr. Smiley, but those have already been addressed by others, so I'll mention this bit.
  1. Yes, Dr. Thomas was a big proponent for increased diversity at the university, which I see no problem with. I have a lot of problems with some of his policies and how his exit from the university was handled, but this wasn't the problem.
  2. You talk down about HBCUs, but have you looked at what a lot of HBCUs average in terms of football attendance? In 2019, half of the top 10 FCS schools in attendance were HBCUs. The top conference in terms of average attendance across all schools...the SWAC (a HBCU conference)...number 2...the MEAC (another HBCU conference). HBCU fans turn out for their teams, win or lose, and help make their football games more of an "event". Jackson State (a HBCU with almost exactly the same enrollment at Western) averaged over 33 thousand fans at their home games in 2019...in a season where they went 4-8. If we could pull half that in any season regardless of our record, I'd be ecstatic. Even little Mississippi Valley State (with ~2.4k students) located in itty bitty Itta Bena, MS averaged nearly double what we did in 2019, in a season where they went 2-9. Honestly, I feel like we need to take a page or two out of the HBCU playbook. They know how to tap into fan support.
  3. And you do realize there are some really good HBCU schools out there in terms of academics, right? Looking at the current US News and World Report Rankings, HBCU Howard University is tied at #83 with schools like Marquette, Michigan State, Iowa, and TCU. Spelman College, Hampton, Morehouse, Tuskegee, Florida A&M, NC A&T...all have far better academics than WIU ever has. Being a HBCU does not make you a bad school. No, we're not a HBCU, but there are plenty of HBCU's out there that are doing a lot of things right, and that we could do to be a bit more like.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Not to divert the topic, but are any of our quarterbacks mobile? If so, get the dual threat in the game next time.  I see UNI switched qbs at halftime and it made a difference. I mean, if we're getting pummeled like we did last week, why not? I can see not switching in a close game, but they completely had his number last week and it couldn't have hurt to try another angle.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
Western_101 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:11 pmWith regards to Dr. Thomas, dude, leave. Just leave. He was a product of an HBCU.  I feel like it is hard to confirm, however it sure seemed like this dude wanted us on a HBCU path. So how F***ed up is that?

I also disagree with you on the your comments about Dr. Smiley, but those have already been addressed by others, so I'll mention this bit.
  1. Yes, Dr. Thomas was a big proponent for increased diversity at the university, which I see no problem with. I have a lot of problems with some of his policies and how his exit from the university was handled, but this wasn't the problem.
  2. You talk down about HBCUs, but have you looked at what a lot of HBCUs average in terms of football attendance? In 2019, half of the top 10 FCS schools in attendance were HBCUs. The top conference in terms of average attendance across all schools...the SWAC (a HBCU conference)...number 2...the MEAC (another HBCU conference). HBCU fans turn out for their teams, win or lose, and help make their football games more of an "event". Jackson State (a HBCU with almost exactly the same enrollment at Western) averaged over 33 thousand fans at their home games in 2019...in a season where they went 4-8. If we could pull half that in any season regardless of our record, I'd be ecstatic. Even little Mississippi Valley State (with ~2.4k students) located in itty bitty Itta Bena, MS averaged nearly double what we did in 2019, in a season where they went 2-9. Honestly, I feel like we need to take a page or two out of the HBCU playbook. They know how to tap into fan support.
  3. And you do realize there are some really good HBCU schools out there in terms of academics, right? Looking at the current US News and World Report Rankings, HBCU Howard University is tied at #83 with schools like Marquette, Michigan State, Iowa, and TCU. Spelman College, Hampton, Morehouse, Tuskegee, Florida A&M, NC A&T...all have far better academics than WIU ever has. Being a HBCU does not make you a bad school. No, we're not a HBCU, but there are plenty of HBCU's out there that are doing a lot of things right, and that we could do to be a bit more like.
^ what Lawson said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk