2022 Recruits

sealhall74

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:53 am

This would be a HUGE get!  An FCS version of Cam Newton!  If you are on Twitter, give this kid a like, follow and retweet! 

Different sport, but WIU's all-time leading scorer in hoops (Joe Dykstra) came from Des Moines Hoover as well.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

Was an Akron commit.  
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 pm
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:53 am There are 3 types of FCS programs. 1) Recruiting Schools 2) Development Schools  3) Recruit and Develop schools.  A recruiting school relies on bringing players to their school that are ready to plugin and contribute.  Kids that started at that school out of HS are maybe 50% of the starting lineup.  Development schools take their HS recruits, maybe some JUCOs, and Coach them up to become starters.  These developed kids account for approx 90% of the starting lineup.  Then you have the schools that do both HS recruiting and attracting transfers to fill "needs".  For these schools, HS recruits are are approx 70-75% of the roster.  These ae the NDSU, James Madisons of the world.  With the portal exploding the way it is this year, I think those percentages will decrease for all teams.  

Under Elliott, we were definitely a recruiting school.  If kids were developed, it was almost by accident.  The staff was good though at getting transfers.  I'll give them that.  Lot's of successful transfer kids in the last couple years.  Under Coach Hen, I think we will be much more of a development school.  And with the environment we are in today, there is a TON of HS talent out there that is getting slept on.  The top FBS kids are still be recruited, but the kids that would be in the MAC, the Mountain West, AAC, you're going to see a lot of those kids looking for homes.  This is because there are so many Power 5, or top FCS kids in the portal looking for homes.  I think we're going to see a couple of solid HS classes for WIU in '22 and '23.  

I like the idea of being more of a development program. I can see where transfers have their place, but bringing a team up together has got to add an extra dimension to their ability to play (and play well) and work with each other.

I would prefer being a developmental school as long as your developing them and there staying and not leaving. Last thing you want is to be a developmental program for other schools. 
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:11 pm
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:53 am There are 3 types of FCS programs. 1) Recruiting Schools 2) Development Schools  3) Recruit and Develop schools.  A recruiting school relies on bringing players to their school that are ready to plugin and contribute.  Kids that started at that school out of HS are maybe 50% of the starting lineup.  Development schools take their HS recruits, maybe some JUCOs, and Coach them up to become starters.  These developed kids account for approx 90% of the starting lineup.  Then you have the schools that do both HS recruiting and attracting transfers to fill "needs".  For these schools, HS recruits are are approx 70-75% of the roster.  These ae the NDSU, James Madisons of the world.  With the portal exploding the way it is this year, I think those percentages will decrease for all teams.  

Under Elliott, we were definitely a recruiting school.  If kids were developed, it was almost by accident.  The staff was good though at getting transfers.  I'll give them that.  Lot's of successful transfer kids in the last couple years.  Under Coach Hen, I think we will be much more of a development school.  And with the environment we are in today, there is a TON of HS talent out there that is getting slept on.  The top FBS kids are still be recruited, but the kids that would be in the MAC, the Mountain West, AAC, you're going to see a lot of those kids looking for homes.  This is because there are so many Power 5, or top FCS kids in the portal looking for homes.  I think we're going to see a couple of solid HS classes for WIU in '22 and '23.  

I like the idea of being more of a development program. I can see where transfers have their place, but bringing a team up together has got to add an extra dimension to their ability to play (and play well) and work with each other.

I would prefer being a developmental school as long as your developing them and there staying and not leaving. Last thing you want is to be a developmental program for other schools. 

Very true!  You have to keep recruiting your own kids today. Something else the old staff wasn't good at. Too easy to leave.

Leatherneck57

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Agree but you don’t see any kids leaving NDSU, SDSU, UNI etc. unless they are a grad student.  They are exactly what we need to become. Those schools create a culture where that doesn’t happen.  

The previous leadership didn’t create that culture.  You have to build a foundation first then fill in where needed.  If you do that correctly 80-90% of your recruiting classes are high school kids.  Recruiting and developing high school kids keeps your pipeline healthy!  When kids come out of their red shirt year they will be ready to contribute to your program.

GV Dad

My College buddy's kid.  Could be a 3 or 4yr starter at Center for us!  Glad to see the new staff back to recruiting the KC area.  Ton of D1 talent here. 
GV Dad

Leatherneck57

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:53 am

My College buddy's kid.  Could be a 3 or 4yr starter at Center for us!  Glad to see the new staff back to recruiting the KC area.  Ton of D1 talent here. 

Attachments
Wyatt Newcomer
Wyatt Newcomer
80F3688C-D8FC-4337-9777-A9F21866C469.jpeg (300.6 KiB) Viewed 679 times
GV Dad

Leatherneck57

Attachments
Kameron Lewis
Kameron Lewis
C6A56779-A913-4AE6-9673-3FFFA7421B13.jpeg (191.59 KiB) Viewed 621 times