FCS Conference Shuffling

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:16 pm Not specifically FCS since they don't have football, but it'll impact some conferences probably. Loyola-Chicago just announced they're leaving the MVC for the A10 conference as of July 2022:

Also apparently rumors that UT-Arlington, Murray State and Kansas City are in final stages of discussions to join the MVC.

For reference, here's the A10 before Loyola joins:

Sounds like this could possibly impact the summit as it sounds like the valley is pursuing UMKC
meganeck

Why would Loyola want to join the A10, i would say MVC is a better basketball conference. Or maybe that is why better chance of winning the conference?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm Why would Loyola want to join the A10, i would say MVC is a better basketball conference. Or maybe that is why better chance of winning the conference?

Reading through some of the MVCFans thread about it, it sounds like they might be aiming for an eventual Big East invite a few years down the road. It's a "foot in the door" of the east coast in that it gives them better visibility out there.
https://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5769

EDIT - basketball is a bit better (they spend a decent chunk more on average, at least) and the "culture" fits better...more private catholic schools. MVC has some private schools, only a couple are at all religiously-affiliated, and none are Catholic schools. A10 has 7 (of 14 members) who are private Catholic schools and 3 others who are private, but not Catholic. 7 of the 14 do have football teams, but outside of UMass, Rhode Island, and Richmond, they're all 0 or low-scholarship FCS, so their priority is...by a wide margin...basketball. This is as opposed to some of the MVC schools who do have football as just as much of a priority as basketball (or at least in the same vicinity)...ISU, SIU, MSU, UNI.

EDIT 2 - a bit more about A10 vs MVC...apparently in the last 10 years the A10 has had 24 at-large bids to the NCAA tournament. The MVC has had 5.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 pm
meganeck wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm Why would Loyola want to join the A10, i would say MVC is a better basketball conference. Or maybe that is why better chance of winning the conference?

Reading through some of the MVCFans thread about it, it sounds like they might be aiming for an eventual Big East invite a few years down the road. It's a "foot in the door" of the east coast in that it gives them better visibility out there.
https://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5769

EDIT - basketball is a bit better (they spend a decent chunk more on average, at least) and the "culture" fits better...more private catholic schools. MVC has some private schools, only a couple are at all religiously-affiliated, and none are Catholic schools. A10 has 7 (of 14 members) who are private Catholic schools and 3 others who are private, but not Catholic. 7 of the 14 do have football teams, but outside of UMass, Rhode Island, and Richmond, they're all 0 or low-scholarship FCS, so their priority is...by a wide margin...basketball. This is as opposed to some of the MVC schools who do have football as just as much of a priority as basketball (or at least in the same vicinity)...ISU, SIU, MSU, UNI.

EDIT 2 - a bit more about A10 vs MVC...apparently in the last 10 years the A10 has had 24 at-large bids to the NCAA tournament. The MVC has had 5.

Interesting thanks for sharing that Scott

sealhall74

I would pay top dollar to see Sister Jean and Doc Nix in the same arena at the same time.   :lol:
Without doubt, Doc would have a special tribute song ready from the Green Machine.

A-10 basketball not a little better, it is a whole lot better.

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 pm I would pay top dollar to see Sister Jean and Doc Nix in the same arena at the same time.   :lol:
Without doubt, Doc would have a special tribute song ready from the Green Machine.

A-10 basketball not a little better, it is a whole lot better.
Wichita State and Creighton jumping ship was a killer for the MVC.

Western_101

I'm just tired of shifts in the landscape resulting in poaching from the Summit. Be it directly or a means by which to back fill a conference that has been raided (Horizon comes to mind). MVC must be in dire straights if they are eyeballing UMKC. So in the last decade the MVC has lost Creighton, Wichita State, and now Loyola? They are a one bid league the same as the Summit. I shed no tears.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Next rumors swirling about: Valdosta State (DII), West Georgia (DII), Queens University of Charlotte (DII, no football), as well as current FCS programs Southeastern Louisiana (Southland) and Tennessee Tech (Ohio Valley) are in line to get invites to the ASun Conference.
sealhall74

By my count, that move and Murray State if it happens would leave only 4 teams playing with the oblong ball in the OVC.  Takes 6 I believe to earn the automatic conference bid to playoffs althought things like that are probably waiverable if the right people say so.  We might be #5, who knows, Danielle not saying much.  Lindenwood would be a good pickup.  They are already transitioning to D1 in hockey so you know that is where they eventually want to be for all sports.  OVC perfect geographic fit for them.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:58 am By my count, that move and Murray State if it happens would leave only 4 teams playing with the oblong ball in the OVC.  Takes 6 I believe to earn the automatic conference bid to playoffs althought things like that are probably waiverable if the right people say so.  We might be #5, who knows, Danielle not saying much.  Lindenwood would be a good pickup.  They are already transitioning to D1 in hockey so you know that is where they eventually want to be for all sports.  OVC perfect geographic fit for them.

EIU, SEMO, Tennessee State, UT-Martin. And rumors that Tennessee State is talking with the SWAC.
They pretty much either have to call up teams from DII...like you said about Lindenwood, but I've also heard Grand Valley State as well as Southern Indiana (no football) as possibilities, or they need to merge with another conference...ASun or Southland most likely.