FCS Conference Shuffling

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
Western_101

Lol, so, OVC has really become either a conference to avoid at all costs.

Or a one to embrace as a collegiate stalwart and founding member of a D-I conference that has moved beyond Western's boarders. No need to name call things change.

What are we watiting for?

1) To see if the OVC completely disentegrates.

2) Watch everything unfold, Christ, we have been disadvantaged too long, I think it wise, to see how this unfolds. 

3) As a Charter Member of a respected Mid=Major if We depart, we have certain expectations, as in scheduling and the sort. 

4) I'm bemused by posters on other forums that think FGCU is as thing. Well yeah it exists, it is in my view a school that needs to learn their place. Floridan gulf coast is a frat kid saying my grandma has a timeshare and....well lets just use and abuse it. 

I sure would like to see the schedule coming out. I hate when we get rid of a bad coach that everyone on earth liked. I liked Wright!  

I have a felling I'm gonna love Jeter! 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Somewhat applicable, the OVC and Southland have entered into a scheduling agreement to help fill in some games since they’re both currently pretty low on football-playing teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I would put this at about a 50/50 chance of happening:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This kinda applies to both FBS and FCS, but there's another rumor circulating that CUSA is pulling up Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State to the FBS ranks to help fill in for all their programs who have left. And it might not be the end of their expansion. This could decimate the "top" of the FCS before it's all said and done.

Also, sounds like the WAC is voting tomorrow (Tuesday) whether to admit McNeese State and University of Incarnate Word.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:23 pmAlso, sounds like the WAC is voting tomorrow (Tuesday) whether to admit McNeese State and University of Incarnate Word.

And it sounds like it's official now.
WAC football will now be Abilene Christian, Dixie State (changing name to Utah Tech), Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton, Southern Utah (as of 2022), plus McNeese State, and Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX). For non-football, they add in Cal Baptist, Grand Canyon, NM State, Seattle, UT-Rio Grande Valley, and Utah Valley. Chicago State is leaving at the end of the 2021/2022 school year.

The Southland will be down to: Houston Baptist, University of New Orleans (no football), Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (no football) and in 2022, Texas A&M-Commerce. So, they're going to be really tight on numbers and they're going to want to look to add a few more teams (still hear rumors of West Texas A&M moving up from DII possibly).

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hmmm...sounds like maybe McNeese is walking back from moving to the WAC now that Sam Houston State is headed to C-USA.

EDIT - and that's official now too...

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

UTRGV (University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley), a school formed in 2013 from the merger of UT-Brownsville and UT-Pan American (Edinburg, TX) with ~30k students has approved a measure to increase student fees specifically for the purpose of starting up an FCS football team, swimming/diving teams, and apparently 2 marching bands (I think?)...one for each campus. They have football stadiums at/near both campuses and are planning on playing home games at both.

https://www.utrgv.edu/newsroom/2021/11/ ... spoken.htm

The plan is to be fielding a football team in 2025.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX) is going ahead with the WAC move: https://wacsports.com/general/2021-22/r ... 1112gl1n7q
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not specifically FCS since they don't have football, but it'll impact some conferences probably. Loyola-Chicago just announced they're leaving the MVC for the A10 conference as of July 2022:

Also apparently rumors that UT-Arlington, Murray State and Kansas City are in final stages of discussions to join the MVC.

For reference, here's the A10 before Loyola joins: