Work on the scoreboard/video board

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure I heard that we're getting a new video board that will be a permanent outdoor one and the existing one (that had been being moved back and forth between Hanson Field and Western Hall) will now be permanently in Western Hall. Looks like they might be getting going on that today:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Hopefully it's a bit bigger than the previous one.  That size is ok for indoor at Western Hall, but not ok that far away at Hanson field.  I know these things are pricey, but save the money, if it's going to be that small.

Reminds me of a time our 8th grade teacher was super pumped about his new car and couldn't wait to tell the students.  Walks in proud and tells us he just bought a Mustang, so we all go to the window to check it out.  Was the super lame 1980 and he was so letdown by our reaction.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I can't really see the field from my new office location, but when I left for lunch at noon, the old video board was no longer on the scoreboard.
Neckfansince71

The athletic department got it right this time.  You will all be happy with the size of the digital board.  At the same time the sound system will be also replaced.  New scoreboards for soccer and softball are being installed too.  Smaller digital boards ala (Tommy Bell) are being reinstalled in Western Hall for good.  Pretty sure they tried to bring them more into the game area this time.  Saw some people complaining about spending the money for these boards but the marketing exposure for all of our athletic sponsors and the video replays, individual stats, and such will go along way to help create a better game day environment.  I think this is a really good thing.
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 pm The athletic department got it right this time.  You will all be happy with the size of the digital board.  At the same time the sound system will be also replaced.  New scoreboards for soccer and softball are being installed too.  Smaller digital boards ala (Tommy Bell) are being reinstalled in Western Hall for good.  Pretty sure they tried to bring them more into the game area this time.  Saw some people complaining about spending the money for these boards but the marketing exposure for all of our athletic sponsors and the video replays, individual stats, and such will go along way to help create a better game day environment.  I think this is a really good thing.

Hope they dont take away the big-ass portable speakers on the North end though.  Man do they crank out some good dBs. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 pm The athletic department got it right this time.  You will all be happy with the size of the digital board.  At the same time the sound system will be also replaced.  New scoreboards for soccer and softball are being installed too.  Smaller digital boards ala (Tommy Bell) are being reinstalled in Western Hall for good.  Pretty sure they tried to bring them more into the game area this time.  Saw some people complaining about spending the money for these boards but the marketing exposure for all of our athletic sponsors and the video replays, individual stats, and such will go along way to help create a better game day environment.  I think this is a really good thing.

Hope they dont take away the big-ass portable speakers on the North end though.  Man do they crank out some good dBs. 
If they’re doing it right, they’ll have speakers of that “magnitude” built into/on top of the scoreboard/screen. That would work better because then you won’t have it blasting right into people walking over to the concessions, it should cover the stadium better, and it’ll look a lot nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neckfansince71

Yes, they are doing it right!  Sound system included!  jc
Neckfansince71

How about getting us a photo of the progress being made on new score board at Hanson! jc ;)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:15 pm How about getting us a photo of the progress being made on new score board at Hanson! jc ;)

I can't tell for sure from my office (I can only barely see where the top right corner of the old one used to be from here), but it doesn't look like the new one is up yet. So, there's not much to show at this point.
meganeck

this is definitely a good thing