Fall 2021 - Week 9 - vs Illinois State

Western_101

WTF were you gleaning from a larger scoreboard?
 s
The only thing I care about in my sad life is that we beat ISU.  Non of it matters, Elliott's contract will not get renewed, Brock Spack will continue to own us moving forward. 

Also, Really, cutting corners on the Heavy end of the Sound system? 

Fire Supernnot  not spelled right, don't care.

Fire Elliot.

It is hard to imagine what the downside would be?  What would the down side be?

WESTERN should be a destination not an on the job learning expo. 
wiu712

Illinois State football falters in second half, falls to Western Illinois.
From the Bloomington Pantagraph:
https://pantagraph.com/sports/college/i ... b47b9.html

Leathernecks rally past Redbirds.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 220332001/

SouthsideNeck

Western will never be a destination until the have better budget, more resources and an administration that has a vision for football. No seasoned coach will come to a school that shared a score board between departments and until that mentality changes these results are what we will see. 
GV Dad

SouthsideNeck wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:39 pm Western will never be a destination until the have better budget, more resources and an administration that has a vision for football. No seasoned coach will come to a school that shared a score board between departments and until that mentality changes these results are what we will see. 

^^^ This^^^

rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:29 am
SouthsideNeck wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:39 pm Western will never be a destination until the have better budget, more resources and an administration that has a vision for football. No seasoned coach will come to a school that shared a score board between departments and until that mentality changes these results are what we will see. 

^^^ This^^^

And this is where (for me, anyway) the chicken or the egg metaphor comes into play. Would we be able to get funding (from alumni or whoever) to start plans for a revamped football stadium with the team records the way they have been, or do we need to do something to get the program back on a winning track to bring back $$$ support? I don't know the answer, but would appreciate someone with insight explaining a viable plan to me.

With that said, grateful for the win, proud of the team for continuing to gut it out. These kids have skills and heart, that's for sure. 

sealhall74

Hell, it was a great destination for me this weekend.  Me and the wife got in early Friday night to pick up our race packets and tickets at the Rec Center. Headed to Chick's before the big evening rush started.  Later, shared the Hampton Inn hot tub with a bunch of fit soccer gals from NDSU.  Got up early Saturday to run the Fallen Soldiers 5k followed by some more hot tub action to soothe the aching muscles.  Had a nice lunch and drinks at SportsCorner 124, talked to the new owner there a bit.  Walked out leaving my cell phone on the bar and did not realize it until I was in Q Lot.  Headed back to 124 and the Bartender had taken good care of my cell phone.  Missed the ISUr 1st TD but settled into our seats on east side very close to the band.  Wife got ansy in the 3rd quarter and wanted to leave.  I told her we were only 2 TDs behind, there is much hope.  LOL.  She went to the car to stay warm anyway and I stuck it out to the end and VERY glad I did.  No quit in these kids either.  Proud to call WIU my alma mater once again.  I have not had that much excitement in months.

We need a coach who is happy with the small successes in life and willing to join the Town and Gown mix to make it happen.  Someone who has a proven track record of getting things done with not too many resources.  Someone not looking at WIU as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.  Just my opinion but I am sticking with it.  BTW, Rock Hanson could have been buried in Arlington Cemetery but he chose Macomb.  I think?

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

You're right, although unless enrollment increases substantially, I'm not sure where the money is going to come from. Yes, administration could prioritize athletics, but at this point, there'd be a lot of really angry people across campus if the university said they were making huge investments in football while there are quite a few employees (myself and my wife included) who have gone over 7 years without any raise or cost of living increase. There are reasons why we're having trouble keeping good employees around (all across campus, not just in the athletics department) and that's a big part of it. Even I would have a hard time with it if they did nothing to address salaries while spending a huge chunk of money on athletics...now imagine how most of the rest of campus would feel, knowing that there aren't many who are as interested in Leatherneck football as I am.

Is it better to work to improve enrollment (which brings in more tuition $ for the university as a whole as well as student fee $ specifically for athletics), or just to spend directly on the athletics department in the hopes that it will bring more students? I don't know the answer, but I do know which would look better to the general university community.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Am I allowed to say that despite all the press our QB is getting for the ISUr game, I think the real player of the game was Dennis Houston?
GV Dad

There is a lot of Private money that’s waiting on the sideline until they see some changes. And I’m not talking about the Coaching staff. 
GV Dad

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am Am I allowed to say that despite all the press our QB is getting for the ISUr game, I think the real player of the game was Dennis Houston?

I think there are several players you could put in that category. Wanza had some solid runs where he found his own holes. Hunter Mason’s 2 sacks in a row really sparked the team as well.