Head Coaching Search

sealhall74

Honestly, I cant imagine either basketball coach being for staying in the Summit.  The long bus trips are brutal.  The way I look at it, history always repeats itself and the best we can hope for there is a year or two of good success, maybe vying for title, before falling back down to the middle of the pack or lower for an extended period and then working our way back into contention again.  The Jacks and Yotes will alway be near the top and in contention IMHO.  That is what makes the Summit League a real grind and the tournament cards are stacked in their favor.  Throw in the Bison on the mens side.

Greg Kampe learned the lesson at Oakland U very quickly   We should follow suit.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Cubby1

I think they should pick up one of these D2 coaches they have built winning programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

Unless we bring at least 2 other Football schools with us, I can't see the move as good idea for us.  Unless they would take us in all sports except football, which wouldn't be a benefit to them.  They need football schools bad, they are down to just 6 I believe?  
Tere North

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:40 am You definitely have a different pool of Coaching candidates if you aren’t committed to staying in the Valley for football. The AD made a point to mention that Valley draw in her presentation. My guess is the Prez was leaning towards leaving until they began the coaching search. I also think the football Alums are in favor of staying put. 

But, it Football the only thing that should be considered. Why not a conference that has both FB and other sports plus much less travel? 

Which suggests, why not Missouri Valley for everything, or something like moving up to the MAC.
leatherneckcountry

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:41 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:40 am You definitely have a different pool of Coaching candidates if you aren’t committed to staying in the Valley for football. The AD made a point to mention that Valley draw in her presentation. My guess is the Prez was leaning towards leaving until they began the coaching search. I also think the football Alums are in favor of staying put. 

But, it Football the only thing that should be considered. Why not a conference that has both FB and other sports plus much less travel? 

Which suggests, why not Missouri Valley for everything, or something like moving up to the MAC.

Neither of those conference would ever accept WIU.

GV Dad

That would be best case Terre!  I’d like to see someone take the lead to create that very conference; but I don’t see it happening. Us, IL St, SIU, E IL, SEMO, Indiana St, Murray State and UT Martin would be a great Conf geographically. 

GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:35 am

Neither of those conference would ever accept WIU.

I would think the Valley would, as that relationship already exists for Football. Especially now that Mens basketball is becoming competitive. 

sealhall74

When you do consider other sports like volleyball, soccer, baseball, even there we are faced with a real grind each and every year just like in M and W basketball.
Denver dominates volleyball and soccer now, I dont see that changing any time soon, having checked out their facilities.  ORU has a stranglehold on baseball and given their southerly location and ability to to get a head start every year, ditto.

As for track and field, no way can we compete for conference championship against the Dakota schools, I dont care how good the coaching is.  Just dont have the number of athletes.  

sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am When you do consider other sports like volleyball, soccer, baseball, even there we are faced with a real grind each and every year just like in M and W basketball.
Denver dominates volleyball and soccer now, I dont see that changing any time soon, having checked out their facilities.  ORU has a stranglehold on baseball and given their southerly location and ability to to get a head start every year, ditto.

As for track and field, no way can we compete for conference championship against the Dakota schools, I dont care how good the coaching is.  Just dont have the number of athletes.  

As for getting an invite to the Valley, we probably had a slight chance of that 20-30 years ago with Helen Smiley pull, but no way now.

sealhall74

If I am AD, I survey each and every student-athlete across all sports.  What are their expectations?  Is competing against the best where they want to be every time they step out on the field or court?  Hey, I heard Billy Wright say in a post-game interview one time, being able to stay in nice hotels on the road was a big motivation to do what we do.  If that is the mindset of the athletes too, then stay where we are.  If having a legit chance to win each and every time out, move on.