Head Coaching Search

GV Dad

If anyone answers no to “do you want to compete against the best”, pack their bags please. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:As for getting an invite to the Valley, we probably had a slight chance of that 20-30 years ago with Helen Smiley pull, but no way now.

This is correct. You’d have MVC schools in a revolt if we got an invite now. We’d have to pretty much double our budgets in basketball to get close to what the MVC schools spend.

I’d love for it to happen, but I think the chances of it happening are so low as to not even be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
L'Étranger

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am If I am AD, I survey each and every student-athlete across all sports.  What are their expectations?  Is competing against the best where they want to be every time they step out on the field or court?  Hey, I heard Billy Wright say in a post-game interview one time, being able to stay in nice hotels on the road was a big motivation to do what we do.  If that is the mindset of the athletes too, then stay where we are.  If having a legit chance to win each and every time out, move on.

How many FB games did we have a legit chance to win this year halfway through the 4th? Ball, EW, the OT game...how many more?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The way I view it is that maybe we won’t ever have the sustained success of NDSU, but with a good coach, we could be like SIU. They’ve had many of the same funding and enrollment challenges that we have, weren’t great for a while, but with the right coach, went 7-4, made the playoffs and won their first round game. In the 2020 spring season, they ended NDSU’s win streak and went 1-1 in the playoffs.

Obviously the goal is to win every game, but considering where we’re at now, I think 7-8 win seasons are a reasonable “first step” goal.

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:57 pm The way I view it is that maybe we won’t ever have the sustained success of NDSU, but with a good coach, we could be like SIU. They’ve had many of the same funding and enrollment challenges that we have, weren’t great for a while, but with the right coach, went 7-4, made the playoffs and won their first round game. In the 2020 spring season, they ended NDSU’s win streak and went 1-1 in the playoffs.

Obviously the goal is to win every game, but considering where we’re at now, I think 7-8 win seasons are a reasonable “first step” goal.

Agree, we are not far from 7-8 wins in FB.  But we are lightyears away from Commish Cup in Summit.  Not so much because our talent level and coaching have dropped off.  More because our competition is at a whole new level.  No more Southern Utahs, Centennaries, Chicago States., ...
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:14 pm
sealhall74 wrote:As for getting an invite to the Valley, we probably had a slight chance of that 20-30 years ago with Helen Smiley pull, but no way now.

This is correct. You’d have MVC schools in a revolt if we got an invite now. We’d have to pretty much double our budgets in basketball to get close to what the MVC schools spend.

I’d love for it to happen, but I think the chances of it happening are so low as to not even be worth considering.

Yet, SIU is in the Valley. In another post you commented how they have the same budget issues we do. So why can SIU be int he Valley be WIU can't.

leatherneckcountry

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:41 am

Yet, SIU is in the Valley. In another post you commented how they have the same budget issues we do. So why can SIU be int he Valley be WIU can't.

SIU has been in the valley for as long as I can remember it’s as simple as that plus there current facilities are miles ahead of WIU.
Western_101

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:41 am

It's not an issue of if it makes sense or what seems right. Listen, WIU has had one wining season the last 10 years. Never Been to NCAA tourney or NIT. D-3 schools have better facilities and Western is in the middle of no where, hard to get to. The majority of Valley Members would have to vote WIU in?  What 6 valley schools are going to vote us in. WIU is perennially in the bottom 1/4  of all D-I.  SIU has much better facilities also a med school, school of law. They have a history of winning and are Third longest Tenured member in the current Valley configuration. 

The Valley would take NDSU, SDSU, Oral Roberts, Kansas City, ad Denver over WIU (prob would take USD and UNO too).

Sthebb

What about Myers Hendrickson .. local guy.. doing great at His current job 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:41 amYet, SIU is in the Valley. In another post you commented how they have the same budget issues we do. So why can SIU be int he Valley be WIU can't.

Proportionally the same budget and enrollment issues, but they're still way ahead of us on their investments in basketball. Their men's HC makes $475k/year (Jeter makes $200k), they play in the ~8,300 seat Banterra Center that looks like this (https://siusalukis.com/images/2016/6/27 ... ellout.jpg) and have only one season in their DI history where they averaged under 3k fans per home game (1981-82). They have 10 NCAA tournament appearances, 3 "Sweet Sixteen" appearances, and have had 9 players go on to play in the NBA.

We have a long ways to go to catch up to them.