Head Coaching Search

Western_101

I graduated in Dec. of 1997,  nice season for the 'Necks, saw my childhood idol Walter Payton on the sideline in Macomb when Jackson State came to town in the Playoffs.  At the time I guess I thought that was normal.

The time to improve the facilities at Western was in the late '90s and '00s.  We had enrollments of over 13k Western was a f*cking powerhouse and the St. Louis Rams called Macomb home for parts of their years. 

Apparently what we did was nothing. We sat on our laurels. That is the fault of the Presidents of the time and the Athletic Directors. I can name names but most of us already know the guilty parties. 

We didn't do shit when our stock was high, now that it is low lots of good intention, but really no tread griping the track.

Unless I am completely unaware there has never been a concerted effort towards a fundraising campaign to "Rebuild the Rock" nothing, nada, zip. I like our current A.D. she dosen't need to be the center of the universe as some of her predecessors needed to be.   How has there never been a Campaign to rebuild facilities for the sport we dominated for so many years.  Well, what's done is done.

Let us please start a campaign to "rebuild the 'Rock' (as in Rock Hanson.....Hanson Field).

vatusay

Western_101 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:07 am I graduated in Dec. of 1997,  nice season for the 'Necks, saw my childhood idol Walter Payton on the sideline in Macomb when Jackson State came to town in the Playoffs.  At the time I guess I thought that was normal.

The time to improve the facilities at Western was in the late '90s and '00s.  We had enrollments of over 13k Western was a f*cking powerhouse and the St. Louis Rams called Macomb home for parts of their years. 

Apparently what we did was nothing. We sat on our laurels. That is the fault of the Presidents of the time and the Athletic Directors. I can name names but most of us already know the guilty parties. 

We didn't do shit when our stock was high, now that it is low lots of good intention, but really no tread griping the track.

Unless I am completely unaware there has never been a concerted effort towards a fundraising campaign to "Rebuild the Rock" nothing, nada, zip. I like our current A.D. she dosen't need to be the center of the universe as some of her predecessors needed to be.   How has there never been a Campaign to rebuild facilities for the sport we dominated for so many years.  Well, what's done is done.

Let us please start a campaign to "rebuild the 'Rock' (as in Rock Hanson.....Hanson Field).

Solid.

The truth usually hurts. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
Mheller

Hi Folks:  This is my first post on Leatherneck Nation but I’ve been following this thread since at least mid-season.  I am not a WIU alum but I became a big fan when my son joined the football team this past June.  First I want to say congrats to Coach Hendrickson on his appointment as Western HC.  My son was on the Zoom call last Friday and has since connected with the new coach.  He’s impressed & excited for the future of his program.  One theme that keeps coming up is resources (money) or lack there of.  According to the admin in the group, Coach Hendrickson is a capable fundraiser which is important (maybe critical) but if we truly want to grow the program and be successful, I would submit that all of us could step up.  Someone else on this site talked about a fundraising campaign.  I could not agree more.  When I went to college I was on financial aid and my work study job was calling alumni for donations.  I learned as a 21 year old how much money can be raised by a loyal alumni & passionate fan base.  We can do it at Western.  If someone wants to reach out to me from WIU, I will donate.  But no one has.  Let’s do this!  I want to see Western be successful and I understand it takes money to make that happen.  

who’s in?  

Last edited by Mheller on Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L'Étranger

Another player parent here. And same...no one has ever called. Maybe they're not allowed to, I don't know what the rules are there.

Anyway...I'm in.
GV Dad

For as short of funds as we are, the department does a horrible job soliciting funds.  The Purple and Gold day of giving always sneaks up on me.  And I follow every social media page the Athletic Dept has.  If anyone needs it, here's the link to join the Leatherneck Club.  

https://goleathernecks.com/sports/2014/ ... 44222.aspx

WIU0812

Surprised no one on here has the AD's ear that could at least drop hints about fans looking for campaigns for improvements even multi-year campaigns. Not sure if it would do any good I honestly don't know much about fundraising though I feel as if it is harder to get funds when you tell people just throw it in big pot (Leatherneck Club) and we will figure it out. It would be one thing if they had done well managing current facilities. 
sealhall74

Make calls, start up facility campaigns, do it and do it now.  Longer term, start an initiative for a state constitutional amendment to mandate a single umbrella system over all public institutions of higher education.  The rich (UI-UC, UI-C, and UI-S) are getting richer and the poor getting poorer under the present way of doing business.  Florida, Oklahoma, maybe a couple other states have a consitutional mandate in place.

https://www.ecs.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... tion-1.pdf

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

I agree with many on here, including the parents that commented a fundraising campaign is needed, but I think it has been mentioned before that with COVID and having to drop a swimming program and layoffs and or wage freezes at the University, I think they thought it wouldn't be a good look to be out fundraising for football facilities. I think that time has passed and time to get something started, It seems they just rely the LC, Day of giving and P&G Auction to raise money. I believe the AD mentioned come 2022 they were going to have some sort of campaign, but it would be for all sports. Somebody that knows more or remembers exactly what she said maybe can fill us in, but they definitely need one specifically for football to improve the facilities. I would be a donor for that. Also when you donate or become a Leatherneck Club member you can designate which sport (including Cheerleading) you want your money to go to or you can have it go into the general fund. 

Last edited by meganeck on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GV Dad

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:18 pm I agree with many on here, including the parents that commented a fundraising campaign is needed, but I think it has been mentioned before that with COVID and having to drop a swimming and layoffs and or wage freezes at the University, I think they thought it would be a good look to be out fundraising for football facilities. I think that time has passed and time to get something started, It seems they just rely the LC, Day of giving and P&G Auction to raise money. I believe the AD mentioned come 2022 they were going to have some sort of campaign, but it would be for all sports. Somebody that knows more or remembers exactly what she said maybe can fill us in, but they definitely need one specifically for football to improve the facilities. I would be a donor for that. Also when you donate or become a Leather Club member you can designate which sport (including Cheerleading) you want your money to go to or you can have it go into the general fund. 

Only the Purple and Gold auction proceeds can not be designated to a specific sport. And you are correct, the timing is right to make a push for facilities.  Show recruits and donors Western is serious about being a player in FCS! 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:18 pm I agree with many on here, including the parents that commented a fundraising campaign is needed, but I think it has been mentioned before that with COVID and having to drop a swimming and layoffs and or wage freezes at the University, I think they thought it would be a good look to be out fundraising for football facilities. I think that time has passed and time to get something started...

As an employee who has fallen under the wage freeze (although thankfully wasn't directly hit by any of the 3 rounds of layoffs), I don't think many people would mind a fundraising campaign that pulled in money from private donors. Now, if the president were to announce an extra million or so in funding for athletics from university funds, then I think you'd see a lot of people pretty upset with that. But facilities improvements from private donors...I don't think there'd be much pushback.

I agree that now is the time to start a push for fundraising for football facilities improvements, hopefully with the ability to announce something during the fall 2022 football season.
I think my wife would vote that they start with a football building that can house the locker room, offices, and meeting rooms (her office does room scheduling for things...like football team/group meetings...and figuring that out with existing classrooms can be a real PITA).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000