2022 Roster Changes

Leatherneck57

neckalum23 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:17 pm
Leatherneck57 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:49 pm
mac1309 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am

You have every right to be upset/disappointed about players entering the portal, but there’s absolutely no need to degrade their character and performance. It just makes you classless. All of these players who have entered the portal were committed to a team with a different staff and are searching for a new/better opportunity, which is quite normal when there’s a coaching change. On top of it, it’s hard to be somewhere with an AD that didn’t care to do her job, a school President that doesn’t even support athletics, and no money. But you calling them a “waste of a scholarship” and “not leaders” and “easily replaceable” is so wrong. Shame on you. 

I’m sorry but not once do I mention “waste of a scholarship” and I can assure you everyone and anyone is replaceable.  I can be replaced at work but I do the necessary things not to allow that to happen.

When Lance Lenoir graduated everyone was like how will we replace him?  No one had ever heard of Jaylon Acklin…well everyone knows that story.  He blew an All American’s numbers away for a record setting season!

What I’m saying is not degrading their performance or their character.  Just showing that numbers can be improved upon and the next players that come in have a chance to do that.  I analyze numbers all day and I look at things a lot different than most. 

Our new President is behind athletics and is now leading a push to upgrade facilities starting with a north end zone project.  He understands the importance.  You speak the truth about the former AD but that will soon be changing and you’ll see a big turnaround in that department.  The plans are going to advance athletics in a major way…believe me!

At the end of the day what’s done is done and I’m excited for our current and future Leathernecks!  We have the right leadership in place!

Neck for Life!

Before I begin, let me preface this with: I myself am a WIU Athlete alum. I did not play football, I played another sport; but I had and still have many close ties to the WIU football team including players (and even some coaches prior to this spring). Not only did I play at and graduate from WIU, I was actually a transfer (to WIU) myself and spent nearly my entire career there...(and don’t crucify me for my decision as you are for these other kids).
So, not that I owe it to you to prove myself and that I have a vast knowledge of these things, but I've literally been there and done it within the past few years- I've been an athlete at WIU, been a transfer and understand that whole process, been inside and part of that athletic dept and also been the athlete behind closed doors that saw 99% of the things you will never see or hear about. So in the most humble way- if anyone here is this up to date of the ins-and-outs of college athletics (especially WIU athletics) and transferring and has actually LIVED it, I think I am worthy of joining that group. 

Western was one of the best things to happened to me and I will always call Macomb home. But... there is a lot of work that needs to be done in the athletic department and I think we all agree with that. I think the AD change was a move in the right direction, as you said. Love or hate the previous football coaching staff, that change NEEDED to happen. A division 1 school will not sustain if their primary income flow sport is not producing, which I know you agree with as well.Regardless of what this new coach is or isn't at this point, WHENEVER there is a change in coaching, its inevitable that players will leave.

So I guess I'm just a little confused as to why so many were so blind sided by this change, especially when this was a new outside coaching staff vs change of coaching within the program which is what Elliott was.
I mean truthfully, I'm actually very confused about why everyone else didn't see this coming considering the many factors that go into it. 

First, let's not forget a good majority of these players you are so upset about leaving have had the following records their ENTIRE COLLEGIATE CAREER: 2018: 5-6 (most RS this season), 2019: 1-11, 2020: 1-5, 2021: 2-9
TOTAL CAREER RECORD (not including RS year because they couldn't play): 4-25 .................4-25 guys, I cannot stress this enough.
There is only so much these players can do, and they stuck with it for 4 years and it wasn't ever getting any better. This alone is a good enough reason for anyone to leave quite honestly.

Secondly, they committed to a different coaching staff; not this one. I realize that this reason alone is not a good excuse to leave, but like I said, there are quite a few factors that play in here and having a whole new coaching staff is actually huge part (comparable to another company buying out the one you work at and completely changing everything you've known for the past 4 years). Although, I do know that some were already considering transferring under Elliott considering the above records and the way the program was being ran. So, coming off such a terrible last 3-4 years, why risk a possible continuation of these outcomes knowing the new staff is coming in to re-build and the next few years will probably be a little shaky until all the kinks are worked out? That is some of these guys' whole college career even with the extra covid year. Can't blame them for looking elsewhere. 

Third, as I said above, you don’t know what happens behind closed doors, and you never will. You think you would've learned this after a lot of boosters and program supporters' thoughts and attitudes regarding the previous coaching staff changed after those coaches had been let go of at the end of last season. It is simply unfair for you to speculate on what you think the reasoning behind these players' exit is. And regardless, it's none of your business anyways. 

Fourth, I brought up myself being a transfer not to make it about myself, but because I've been in these players shoes and I understand what it's like. Everyones first reaction is acting as if the player leaving is off to find a bigger and better school with a bigger following and think they're better than the original program, which isn't always true. I transferred to WIU from a much bigger D1 with a budget that WIU couldn't hold a dime to. I started every single game as a freshman. I loved that school and my teammates. But the coach made life very difficult our team and I wanted to go in a different direction with my academics. I didn't leave out of selfishness, or to find better, or because I wasn't playing. I left because I was extremely unhappy, it was taking a lot out of me, and I also wanted to fulfill my academic goals. So, from the outside looking in, one could judge me as an instant gratification type, or someone who couldn't handle it. But only those close to me knew exactly what the situation was and how miserable I was and how I didn't want to spend my one college career that way. SAME EXACT THING goes for these players, you will never understand from the outside looking in. 

Leatherneck57, I can sense how upset you are about this issue. Since you played at WIU, I completely get why you are so passionate about this, but please just remember that times and athletics have changed a lot since then. I do agree that some kids want instant gratification and never fully commit to a program, but these guys you're talking so negatively about have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into this program for 4 YEARS now. Their parents have done so much for this program. This clearly isn't a lack of commitment as you implied when you said, "they quit on their teammates, the new coaches and this university after they chose to come here. My attitude is quickly changing since reviewing their output as players.".
Let me ask you- Would you blame a coach for leaving after 4 years to find something that would suit him better and is more geared towards his future goals or family? I'd hope not. What about taking a new job after being at a job for 4 years with no success and are impeding on your goals? It's so easy to judge athletes nowadays, but no one ever wants to put it into perspective for themselves.

Lastly, for you to say you're "not degrading their performance or their character" after your previous post says "Malkow was a Captain and was “supposed” to be a leader. Guess we ended up putting to much faith in his ability to lead." and then "As soon as someone makes a tackle or catches a TD pass these kids will be forgotten" implies that you think they lack character and performance. But in my honest opinion, if you think they lack character because of a college/athletic career life decision that was heavily weighed says A LOT more about YOUR character than it EVER will about theirs.
You’re free to have your own opinions and disagree with their choice, but at the end of the day it’s not your life. You’re not in their shoes. You have NO IDEA what goes on behind closed doors (regardless if you’re a parent, booster, long time football alum, etc.), just as people didn't know the details of what was happening behind closed doors for the past 3 years. You have literally not a single ounce of knowledge about their decisions. The LEAST you could do is show some respect, and uphold their name the same way you did when they wore purple and yellow. Colors and team names might change, but these boys’ characters and performance have not. 

I know you won't think so, but your negativity and passive-agressive comments about WIU players and their choices all over social media platforms is not a good look for WIU's program and is talked about amongst these athletes. Your direct/personal comments towards or about athletes who have chosen to transfer also aren't a great look considering how back-handed they are. The comments from you that I just quoted above were SO clearly intended to be a jab at these players which is extremely immature and demeaning of you. Whether you believe all this to be true or not doesn’t really matter, because I, and many others, have seen and heard for myself. Contrary to popular belief, athletes are more than just people that a school owns and are used at the programs disposal... these are real people, real humans, who have a life outside of sports, and a future with goals. Maybe remind yourself of that before you choose to speak so negatively about one next time. 

As a WIU Athlete Alum, It’s truly sad to see such big “fans” and “boosters” talk so poorly about their players/previous players.
There clearly needs to be a huge culture change in this department/program... and all the way down to the fans too it seems like.
For the sake of the university and athletic dept, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. It's not hard to be kind human. 

neckalum23 - I appreciate your open and honest statement.  I’ve read it several times and respect your point of view.  All these kids are good kids from very different walks of life.  I have met and conversed with most of them.  I believe everyone in Leatherneck Nation was expecting them to be part of the change for our football program.

What they’ve been through the last 3-4 years would be tough for anyone to handle.  Everyone agrees that our program has nowhere to go but up.  These were veteran players that could have helped us get our program where it needs to be and much quicker.  I truly believe we have the right leadership to make us a respectable program again.

Most everyone I know that played college athletics are glad they didn’t have the portal when they played.  Being in the portal would be scary especially if you’re giving up a starting position.  Going to a new institution, earning respect, fitting in, forming new friends and earning playing time would not be easy.  

Decisions have been made and will be respected.  I’m happy that WIU was a good home for you.

Thank you.

leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck57 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:06 pm
neckalum23 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:17 pm
Leatherneck57 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:49 pm
I’m sorry but not once do I mention “waste of a scholarship” and I can assure you everyone and anyone is replaceable.  I can be replaced at work but I do the necessary things not to allow that to happen.

When Lance Lenoir graduated everyone was like how will we replace him?  No one had ever heard of Jaylon Acklin…well everyone knows that story.  He blew an All American’s numbers away for a record setting season!

What I’m saying is not degrading their performance or their character.  Just showing that numbers can be improved upon and the next players that come in have a chance to do that.  I analyze numbers all day and I look at things a lot different than most. 

Our new President is behind athletics and is now leading a push to upgrade facilities starting with a north end zone project.  He understands the importance.  You speak the truth about the former AD but that will soon be changing and you’ll see a big turnaround in that department.  The plans are going to advance athletics in a major way…believe me!

At the end of the day what’s done is done and I’m excited for our current and future Leathernecks!  We have the right leadership in place!

Neck for Life!

Before I begin, let me preface this with: I myself am a WIU Athlete alum. I did not play football, I played another sport; but I had and still have many close ties to the WIU football team including players (and even some coaches prior to this spring). Not only did I play at and graduate from WIU, I was actually a transfer (to WIU) myself and spent nearly my entire career there...(and don’t crucify me for my decision as you are for these other kids).
So, not that I owe it to you to prove myself and that I have a vast knowledge of these things, but I've literally been there and done it within the past few years- I've been an athlete at WIU, been a transfer and understand that whole process, been inside and part of that athletic dept and also been the athlete behind closed doors that saw 99% of the things you will never see or hear about. So in the most humble way- if anyone here is this up to date of the ins-and-outs of college athletics (especially WIU athletics) and transferring and has actually LIVED it, I think I am worthy of joining that group. 

Western was one of the best things to happened to me and I will always call Macomb home. But... there is a lot of work that needs to be done in the athletic department and I think we all agree with that. I think the AD change was a move in the right direction, as you said. Love or hate the previous football coaching staff, that change NEEDED to happen. A division 1 school will not sustain if their primary income flow sport is not producing, which I know you agree with as well.Regardless of what this new coach is or isn't at this point, WHENEVER there is a change in coaching, its inevitable that players will leave.

So I guess I'm just a little confused as to why so many were so blind sided by this change, especially when this was a new outside coaching staff vs change of coaching within the program which is what Elliott was.
I mean truthfully, I'm actually very confused about why everyone else didn't see this coming considering the many factors that go into it. 

First, let's not forget a good majority of these players you are so upset about leaving have had the following records their ENTIRE COLLEGIATE CAREER: 2018: 5-6 (most RS this season), 2019: 1-11, 2020: 1-5, 2021: 2-9
TOTAL CAREER RECORD (not including RS year because they couldn't play): 4-25 .................4-25 guys, I cannot stress this enough.
There is only so much these players can do, and they stuck with it for 4 years and it wasn't ever getting any better. This alone is a good enough reason for anyone to leave quite honestly.

Secondly, they committed to a different coaching staff; not this one. I realize that this reason alone is not a good excuse to leave, but like I said, there are quite a few factors that play in here and having a whole new coaching staff is actually huge part (comparable to another company buying out the one you work at and completely changing everything you've known for the past 4 years). Although, I do know that some were already considering transferring under Elliott considering the above records and the way the program was being ran. So, coming off such a terrible last 3-4 years, why risk a possible continuation of these outcomes knowing the new staff is coming in to re-build and the next few years will probably be a little shaky until all the kinks are worked out? That is some of these guys' whole college career even with the extra covid year. Can't blame them for looking elsewhere. 

Third, as I said above, you don’t know what happens behind closed doors, and you never will. You think you would've learned this after a lot of boosters and program supporters' thoughts and attitudes regarding the previous coaching staff changed after those coaches had been let go of at the end of last season. It is simply unfair for you to speculate on what you think the reasoning behind these players' exit is. And regardless, it's none of your business anyways. 

Fourth, I brought up myself being a transfer not to make it about myself, but because I've been in these players shoes and I understand what it's like. Everyones first reaction is acting as if the player leaving is off to find a bigger and better school with a bigger following and think they're better than the original program, which isn't always true. I transferred to WIU from a much bigger D1 with a budget that WIU couldn't hold a dime to. I started every single game as a freshman. I loved that school and my teammates. But the coach made life very difficult our team and I wanted to go in a different direction with my academics. I didn't leave out of selfishness, or to find better, or because I wasn't playing. I left because I was extremely unhappy, it was taking a lot out of me, and I also wanted to fulfill my academic goals. So, from the outside looking in, one could judge me as an instant gratification type, or someone who couldn't handle it. But only those close to me knew exactly what the situation was and how miserable I was and how I didn't want to spend my one college career that way. SAME EXACT THING goes for these players, you will never understand from the outside looking in. 

Leatherneck57, I can sense how upset you are about this issue. Since you played at WIU, I completely get why you are so passionate about this, but please just remember that times and athletics have changed a lot since then. I do agree that some kids want instant gratification and never fully commit to a program, but these guys you're talking so negatively about have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into this program for 4 YEARS now. Their parents have done so much for this program. This clearly isn't a lack of commitment as you implied when you said, "they quit on their teammates, the new coaches and this university after they chose to come here. My attitude is quickly changing since reviewing their output as players.".
Let me ask you- Would you blame a coach for leaving after 4 years to find something that would suit him better and is more geared towards his future goals or family? I'd hope not. What about taking a new job after being at a job for 4 years with no success and are impeding on your goals? It's so easy to judge athletes nowadays, but no one ever wants to put it into perspective for themselves.

Lastly, for you to say you're "not degrading their performance or their character" after your previous post says "Malkow was a Captain and was “supposed” to be a leader. Guess we ended up putting to much faith in his ability to lead." and then "As soon as someone makes a tackle or catches a TD pass these kids will be forgotten" implies that you think they lack character and performance. But in my honest opinion, if you think they lack character because of a college/athletic career life decision that was heavily weighed says A LOT more about YOUR character than it EVER will about theirs.
You’re free to have your own opinions and disagree with their choice, but at the end of the day it’s not your life. You’re not in their shoes. You have NO IDEA what goes on behind closed doors (regardless if you’re a parent, booster, long time football alum, etc.), just as people didn't know the details of what was happening behind closed doors for the past 3 years. You have literally not a single ounce of knowledge about their decisions. The LEAST you could do is show some respect, and uphold their name the same way you did when they wore purple and yellow. Colors and team names might change, but these boys’ characters and performance have not. 

I know you won't think so, but your negativity and passive-agressive comments about WIU players and their choices all over social media platforms is not a good look for WIU's program and is talked about amongst these athletes. Your direct/personal comments towards or about athletes who have chosen to transfer also aren't a great look considering how back-handed they are. The comments from you that I just quoted above were SO clearly intended to be a jab at these players which is extremely immature and demeaning of you. Whether you believe all this to be true or not doesn’t really matter, because I, and many others, have seen and heard for myself. Contrary to popular belief, athletes are more than just people that a school owns and are used at the programs disposal... these are real people, real humans, who have a life outside of sports, and a future with goals. Maybe remind yourself of that before you choose to speak so negatively about one next time. 

As a WIU Athlete Alum, It’s truly sad to see such big “fans” and “boosters” talk so poorly about their players/previous players.
There clearly needs to be a huge culture change in this department/program... and all the way down to the fans too it seems like.
For the sake of the university and athletic dept, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. It's not hard to be kind human. 

neckalum23 - I appreciate your open and honest statement.  I’ve read it several times and respect your point of view.  All these kids are good kids from very different walks of life.  I have met and conversed with most of them.  I believe everyone in Leatherneck Nation was expecting them to be part of the change for our football program.

What they’ve been through the last 3-4 years would be tough for anyone to handle.  Everyone agrees that our program has nowhere to go but up.  These were veteran players that could have helped us get our program where it needs to be and much quicker.  I truly believe we have the right leadership to make us a respectable program again.

Most everyone I know that played college athletics are glad they didn’t have the portal when they played.  Being in the portal would be scary especially if you’re giving up a starting position.  Going to a new institution, earning respect, fitting in, forming new friends and earning playing time would not be easy.  

Decisions have been made and will be respected.  I’m happy that WIU was a good home for you.

Thank you.

In my opinion the portal has it's pro's and it's con's. Let's be honest coach's lie to kids there's coaching change family issues and other issues. The con's are the kids who transfer all the time Miami's PG was on his fourth or fifth D1 school to me that's the problem there was something like a 1000 kids in the basketball portal and many won't even get another D1 offer. 

WIU2DC

Another one is in the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:44 pm

He walked for Senior Day last season.  He must have found an extra year somehow.  Med Redshirt maybe?  I don't think he saw the field much if at all for us.  Came as a Grad Transfer from Grambling.  
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:09 am
WIU2DC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:44 pm

He walked for Senior Day last season.  He must have found an extra year somehow.  Med Redshirt maybe?  I don't think he saw the field much if at all for us.  Came as a Grad Transfer from Grambling.  

Doesn't look like he played much according to the stats on the football roster page. It says he would be a grad transfer, I think. I hate to admit that while some of the names in the portal ring a bell, most of them don't.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:09 am He walked for Senior Day last season.  He must have found an extra year somehow.  Med Redshirt maybe?  I don't think he saw the field much if at all for us.  Came as a Grad Transfer from Grambling.  

Looks like...
2017 - Dodge City CC, looks like maybe 1 game played
2018 - Grambling, 10 games played
2019 - Grambling, 10 games played
2020/21 Spring - WIU, 1 game
2021 - WIU, 2 games played

Idk if the school is required to do anything to count a kid as a "redshirt" to the NCAA, but with the new rules, 2021 could have counted as his redshirt year (since he played fewer than 4 games). If that rule is retroactive, then 2017 could have been counted as a redshirt year instead. 2020/21 was a "free year" that doesn't count towards eligibility, so I could see him being able to have 1 more year, even without a medical redshirt (although that might be it...I don't really know).

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:54 pm
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:09 am He walked for Senior Day last season.  He must have found an extra year somehow.  Med Redshirt maybe?  I don't think he saw the field much if at all for us.  Came as a Grad Transfer from Grambling.  

Looks like...
2017 - Dodge City CC, looks like maybe 1 game played
2018 - Grambling, 10 games played
2019 - Grambling, 10 games played
2020/21 Spring - WIU, 1 game
2021 - WIU, 2 games played

Idk if the school is required to do anything to count a kid as a "redshirt" to the NCAA, but with the new rules, 2021 could have counted as his redshirt year (since he played fewer than 4 games). If that rule is retroactive, then 2017 could have been counted as a redshirt year instead. 2020/21 was a "free year" that doesn't count towards eligibility, so I could see him being able to have 1 more year, even without a medical redshirt (although that might be it...I don't really know).

Not sure of the reason, just saying it must have been his plan to have 2021 be his last year if he went through SR day activities with his Family and teammates.  I know we had another kid that planning to retire and not take his Covid year due to nagging injuries.  But has since changed his mind as is in Spring Ball right now.  Ya never know 
WIU2DC

I don’t remember this guy signing. Is he a new JuCo transfer?

GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:54 pm

I don’t remember this guy signing. Is he a new JuCo transfer?

Thomas Little on the roster. 

LeatherCy

Well said Mac, Well said.