2022 Roster Changes

L'Étranger

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:05 am
L'Étranger wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:28 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:03 pm
Gotcha. Some big names dropping bombs the last 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

These seem to be guys who're graduating in May or maybe have in December...guys who can be cut loose without damaging the APR. Willing to bet they didn't jump into the pool. Pretty sure they were pushed.

If your kid falls in that group, well...watch out. Hen is goign scorched earth with the Hen house. You hate to see it but it happens just about every time there's a HC change to one degree or another. He's making room for 'his' guys. Totally within his and any other HC's prerogative. 

Best of luck, fellas. Appreciate all you did for the team.

This may be the most asinine post I have ever read. Could not be further from the truth 

Yeah. Never happens. Pass the Kool-Aid.

GV Dad

I’m not saying it never happened, just that it’s not the case here. 
Mheller

L'Étranger wrote:
GV wrote: Most of them wanted their Spring semester paid for, but didn't want to risk being injured, or doing the work in my opinion, in Spring ball.  

These seem to be guys who're graduating in May or maybe have in December...guys who can be cut loose without damaging the APR. Willing to bet they didn't jump into the pool. Pretty sure they were pushed.

If your kid falls in that group, well...watch out. Hen is goign scorched earth with the Hen house. You hate to see it but it happens just about every time there's a HC change to one degree or another. He's making room for 'his' guys. Totally within his and any other HC's prerogative. 

Just my quick thought as a player-parent. My son loves the new staff. He’s met & spoken to Coach Hen several times since he was hired. I think J met with Elliot only once in six months. My son definitely feels the love from the new staff and he’s very positive about the direction of the football program. He feels valued and respected. I am sure my boy would tell me if players were being pushed out. He has had an entirely positive experience with Coach Hen and the rest of the coaches. My guess is the players who are leaving are testing the transfer market because they don’t have to sit out a year anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L'Étranger

Mheller wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:13 pm
L'Étranger wrote:

Just my quick thought as a player-parent. My son loves the new staff. He’s met & spoken to Coach Hen several times since he was hired. I think J met with Elliot only once in six months. My son definitely feels the love from the new staff and he’s very positive about the direction of the football program. He feels valued and respected. I am sure my boy would tell me if players were being pushed out. He has had an entirely positive experience with Coach Hen and the rest of the coaches. My guess is the players who are leaving are testing the transfer market because they don’t have to sit out a year anymore.

Good to hear! My son has had good things to say and likes Coach Hen and the staff. It sounds like he had a little bit of a closer relationship with Eliot than your boy, but probably not by much. (I like a little anonymity and so walk a fine line with what I'm willing to say here).

My son spoke to one of the four, and texted me after, which with what I've seen at other campuses was the basis of what I wrote.

If what I've heard is correct, I don't think ill of the staff because of this turn of events. It's a business, and from the new guy's perspective makes sense. The old guy is out for a reason.

L'Étranger

I lost a reply to GV somewhere. Ballpark:

I have a hard time believing any of the 4 mentioned recently are afraid of injury or hard work. Hell Benton and Mason were All-Conference HM, weren't they? Malkow was a Captain.

Two have mentioned they WOULD be grad transfers (and there would be May graduates), they other two appear to have the same two years remaining.

With that, cheers and have a good night!

Leatherneck57

At the end of the day the former staff isn’t here for a reason…they didn’t win and they weren’t growing the program or moving it in the direction that was satisfactory. 

A new staff was brought in to change the direction of the program and when that happens the first thing you have to change is the culture and the way you train immediately.  One of my favorite sayings is “if you always do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you’ve always gotten”.  Meaning you can’t continue to do  things the same and be successful.   

I had a head coaching change after my junior season…he came from Iowa State and so did several assistants. I can’t even begin to tell you how hard Winter training was.  Back in those days Western Hall had an indoor track and we ran and ran and ran.  Hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.  But I was stronger and in better shape than I ever was the previous 3 years of my college career.  THEY changed the culture, changed the way we trained, changed the way we practiced! 

Coach Hendrickson isn’t running kids off…he is changing the culture!  It has to be changed because of the previous environment.  He will change the culture with or without your kids and will be successful!  These kids don’t know how to win at the college level because they’ve never experienced it!  

The strong freshman class Coach Hendrickson is bringing in, is to build that strong foundation first and instill his culture in them.  I can promise you…these freshman will be coming to summer camp ready to compete and will push your kids for playing time.  I suggest you tell your kids they better get ready because it’s coming. 

Let me ask you…if Nick Saban told your kid that he needed to work harder and do this, this and this would it be ok? 

Leatherneck for Life!

huskie

Well said Leatherneck 57. 
Neckfansince71

Amen!  My all time favorite movie is “Hoosiers!”  Now there was a culture change.....Took 4 years to change the culture at the high school I coached at.  I also recall hearing that some of our players who played for Coach Wright tried to tell Jeter what their role would be.  The reply was “thanks and good luck!” ;)
 jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:17 am Amen!  My all time favorite movie is “Hoosiers!”  Now there was a culture change.....Took 4 years to change the culture at the high school I coached at.  I also recall hearing that some of our players who played for Coach Wright tried to tell Jeter what their role would be.  The reply was “thanks and good luck!” ;)
 jc

Good point...look at how the basketball team transition went. All but one of the players from Coach Wright's team left, Jeter brought in all his own guys...2 years in, first winning record in 8 years.
I do wish them all the best and hope they're able to find a team that fits with their skill set and personality...I think we all do.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Now I’m officially worried… this is one of Hen’s “guys”