At EMU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 pmI like our odds with the next games at home, Miami will be tough.  Also that Game at Central Michigan scheduled for 1:00 Central Time the day after we play Tenn-Martin is F***ing brutal, that's a 8 hour bus ride to Mt Pleasant.  CMU really couldn't have at least made it a 3:00 tip?

If I remember correctly, for a while both the UT-Martin and CMU games were originally listed on the same day. Like, you'd go to UT-Martin's website, and it said that we were hosting them that day...you go to CMU's website and it says we're playing there the same day. Idk if that was a glitch/error, or if someone screwed up when setting up our schedule and double-booked us, or what. I could see the latter happening and then having to scramble to reschedule with one of the teams for the day after...hence the back-to-back games. You pretty much don't ever see games in consecutive days outside of the conference tournament.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rocky Swishterson

Not a bad loss for a team playing without its best scorer. Hope this is not a long absence. 
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:06 am
Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 pmI like our odds with the next games at home, Miami will be tough.  Also that Game at Central Michigan scheduled for 1:00 Central Time the day after we play Tenn-Martin is F***ing brutal, that's a 8 hour bus ride to Mt Pleasant.  CMU really couldn't have at least made it a 3:00 tip?

If I remember correctly, for a while both the UT-Martin and CMU games were originally listed on the same day. Like, you'd go to UT-Martin's website, and it said that we were hosting them that day...you go to CMU's website and it says we're playing there the same day. Idk if that was a glitch/error, or if someone screwed up when setting up our schedule and double-booked us, or what. I could see the latter happening and then having to scramble to reschedule with one of the teams for the day after...hence the back-to-back games. You pretty much don't ever see games in consecutive days outside of the conference tournament.

I wonder if any recent college teams have split their squad to allow competititon in two different games in two different locations.  Globetrotters do that occasionally.  7 or 8 players probably enough to play a game.  These non-conference games are just about GETTING BETTER anyway and preparing for the conference grind.  Another good alternative is to charter a flight after game on Saturday.  I know SDSU women have chartered into Macomb airport a time or two in the past.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:48 am

I wonder if any recent college teams have split their squad to allow competititon in two different games in two different locations.  Globetrotters do that occasionally.  7 or 8 players probably enough to play a game.  These non-conference games are just about GETTING BETTER anyway and preparing for the conference grind.  Another good alternative is to charter a flight after game on Saturday.  I know SDSU women have chartered into Macomb airport a time or two in the past.

Two things:

Harlem Globetrotters splitting their squad probably not a big deal When they were playing such lovable foils as the Washington Generals or the New York Nationals.  :lol:

It does help to win these non-con games. Probably won't help get an at large, unless something really extraordinary happens but it will elevate Western's RPI or NET or whatever the particular rating system is used. It's a lot harder to schedule home and home with any decent Mid Major with a 300 rpi vs. a 150 rpi. The reason being for the team coming in the Win does little to nothing to elevate their resume for an at large if they win and if the team comes in and loses it is disastrous for them. Conversely, with a consistent 100-150 rpi range Power schools are much less likely to want to schedule the one off pay day games (more risky). Since every Power Conference team sprinkles in two to three D-I "cupcakes" the committee has come to expect as much and give it a pass. So I guess I don't know how bad we need those one off Nebraska, DePaul, Iowa games but is sure would be nice to be able to schedule some quality Mountain West or A-Ten teams to do a home and home which would be infinitely more doable at a consistent 120 rpi team. 

Geesh, right now we are lucky to get four D-I teams to come to Macomb. I lied, one other random thought, I don't believe we have ever played four MAC teams in one season ever! Interesting, I hope it continues.

Western_101

Western_101 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:48 am

Two things:

Harlem Globetrotters splitting their squad probably not a big deal When they were playing such lovable foils as the Washington Generals or the New York Nationals.  :lol:

It does help to win these non-con games. Probably won't help get an at large, unless something really extraordinary happens but it will elevate Western's RPI or NET or whatever the particular rating system is used. It's a lot harder to schedule home and home with any decent Mid Major with a 300 rpi vs. a 150 rpi. The reason being for the team coming in the Win does little to nothing to elevate their resume for an at large if they win and if the team comes in and loses it is disastrous for them. Conversely, with a consistent 100-150 rpi range Power schools are much less likely to want to schedule the one off pay day games (more risky). Since every Power Conference team sprinkles in two to three D-I "cupcakes" the committee has come to expect as much and give it a pass. So I guess I don't know how bad we need those one off Nebraska, DePaul, Iowa games but is sure would be nice to be able to schedule some quality Mountain West or A-10 teams to do a home and home which would be infinitely more doable at a consistent 120 rpi team. 

Geesh, right now we are lucky to get four D-I teams to come to Macomb. I lied, one other random thought, I don't believe we have ever played four MAC teams in one season ever! Interesting, I hope it continues.