2021 Compass Challenge

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

We play against Northern Illinois on Friday, December 3, then either Southern Illinois or Eastern Illinois on Saturday, December 4th. Both games are scheduled for 6 PM.
The other side of the compass challenge is EIU and SIU playing at 4 PM on Friday. The winners of each of the Friday games will play each other on Saturday, ditto with the losers of the Friday games.

Northern Illinois is 3-1 this season:
  • Beat Illinois State, 77-60
  • Lost at Harvard, 70-53
  • Beat Bradley, 80-59
  • Beat Milwaukee, 69-50
Eastern Illinois is 4-3 this season:
  • Beat DII Lindenwood, 86-30
  • Won at Indiana State, 64-55
  • Beat Evansville, 85-74
  • Beat NAIA Oakland City, 79-60
  • University of Hawai'i Tournament
    • Lost to Hawaii, 71-50
    • Lost to Gonzaga, 74-53
    • Lost to Utah, 93-77
Southern Illinois is 1-2 this season:
  • Lost at #15 Tennessee, 59-49
  • Lost at Kansas City, 67-46
  • Home game vs IUPUI was cancelled
  • Won at Southeast Missouri State, 78-61
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

SIU won the first game over EIU, 74-66

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

Looks like JD short staffed today only one assistant 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The women won 92-83 in OT over NIU. They will play against SIU tomorrow at ~6 PM.

The 4 PM game will see NIU and EIU facing off.
wiu712

Danni Nichols led the Western scoring with 26 points.  Jada Thorpe had 22.  Evan Zars had 15 points and 14 rebounds.  Elizabeth Lutz had 13 points.  Ana Deets had 10.

Western was 16 for 33 on three-pointers.

Attendance at Western Hall = 468.

Next game will be the Compass Challenge Championship game on Saturday (Dec 4) vs SIU-Carbondale.  Game time is 6:00 PM.
OldHare

I have 2 questions about the Compass Challenge.  The first is how far is it to each of the other directional schools?  It would seem that an under 500 crowd says it is too far to travel or the interest is low among the fans.  The second question is there some players showing the ability to contribute as the season wears on?  4 of the starters logged 37-40 minutes in the OT win.  I see Flores has been missing which may be the extra needed help.  I also notice the freshman Alexander is not showing up in the box scores.  6-2 is a good start for the OOC.

rocki

OldHare wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:01 pm I have 2 questions about the Compass Challenge.  The first is how far is it to each of the other directional schools?  It would seem that an under 500 crowd says it is too far to travel or the interest is low among the fans.  The second question is there some players showing the ability to contribute as the season wears on?  4 of the starters logged 37-40 minutes in the OT win.  I see Flores has been missing which may be the extra needed help.  I also notice the freshman Alexander is not showing up in the box scores.  6-2 is a good start for the OOC.

From Macomb, it is 165 miles to Matoon, IL (Eastern), 185 miles to DeKalb, IL (Northern), and 251 miles to Carbondale (Southern).
leatherneckcountry

OldHare wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:01 pm I have 2 questions about the Compass Challenge.  The first is how far is it to each of the other directional schools?  It would seem that an under 500 crowd says it is too far to travel or the interest is low among the fans.  The second question is there some players showing the ability to contribute as the season wears on?  4 of the starters logged 37-40 minutes in the OT win.  I see Flores has been missing which may be the extra needed help.  I also notice the freshman Alexander is not showing up in the box scores.  6-2 is a good start for the OOC.

I don’t trust attendance #s when it comes to WIU. Alexander is Red shirting and I’d be very surprised if we see Flores again this season.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:57 pm

I don’t trust attendance #s when it comes to WIU. Alexander is Red shirting and I’d be very surprised if we see Flores again this season.

Yeah, I doubt what they're saying is 100% accurate on attendance numbers.
With them all being Illinois schools, you'll probably have a decent number of players from Illinois and nearby areas, so you'll get family and friends for some of them. ~500 is not out of the realm of "normal" for attendance for our women's basketball team though.

NIU has 7 players from Illinois, one of which is from nearby Galesburg (~1 hour away).
EIU only has 2 players from IL, but also has one from Bettendorf, IA (which is one of the Quad Cities, where we have our secondary campus, ~2 hours away).
SIU has 5 players from Illinois.

leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:13 pm

From Macomb, it is 165 miles to Matoon, IL (Eastern), 185 miles to DeKalb, IL (Northern), and 251 miles to Carbondale (Southern).

When did EIU get moved to Matoon