1/29/22 vs Saint Thomas

wiu712

Play Picks has Saint Thomas as an 8-point favorite in today's game.
https://www.playpicks.com/307951/wester ... 1-29-2022/

sealhall74

Tommies coming to town for the 2pm matinee.  They should need a repeat performance of their Twin Cities game on New Years Day with us to stay close in this one.  They do a couple of things well and did them both very well on that day.  First, they shoot lots of 3s and are pretty good at hitting them.  Second, they share the ball really well leading to a lot of open looks, especially from deep.  They are not big, they are not physical and dont get to the FT line very often.  We should dominate the boards and paint.  But I think I would also try to up the tempo against them and push the ball a bit looking for easy transition buckets or the foul.

You hate to say this is a must win at this point in the season but realistically, it is as we are precariously close to the Mendoza line for not qualifying for tournament.  UND is probably not going as they are still winless.  But we are only a game ahead of both St. Thomas and Omaha and we lost both games against them at their places.  So we must return that favor with a wins at home or surrender the tournament qualifier tiebreaker to them should it come down to that.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

If they lose to a D III bunch of midgets again......then we definitely deserve to be one of the worst in the conference. Hopefully some good momentum to build from here on out!
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:51 am Tommies coming to town for the 2pm matinee.  They should need a repeat performance of their Twin Cities game on New Years Day with us to stay close in this one.  They do a couple of things well and did them both very well on that day.  First, they shoot lots of 3s and are pretty good at hitting them.  Second, they share the ball really well leading to a lot of open looks, especially from deep.  They are not big, they are not physical and dont get to the FT line very often.  We should dominate the boards and paint.  But I think I would also try to up the tempo against them and push the ball a bit looking for easy transition buckets or the foul.

You hate to say this is a must win at this point in the season but realistically, it is as we are precariously close to the Mendoza line for not qualifying for tournament.  UND is probably not going as they are still winless.  But we are only a game ahead of both St. Thomas and Omaha and we lost both games against them at their places.  So we must return that favor with a wins at home or surrender the tournament qualifier tiebreaker to them should it come down to that.

The Tommies aren't eligible. 
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:51 am Tommies coming to town for the 2pm matinee.  They should need a repeat performance of their Twin Cities game on New Years Day with us to stay close in this one.  They do a couple of things well and did them both very well on that day.  First, they shoot lots of 3s and are pretty good at hitting them.  Second, they share the ball really well leading to a lot of open looks, especially from deep.  They are not big, they are not physical and dont get to the FT line very often.  We should dominate the boards and paint.  But I think I would also try to up the tempo against them and push the ball a bit looking for easy transition buckets or the foul.

The Tommies aren't eligible. 

Not eligible to participate in tournament or not eligible to represent the conference in the NCAA tournament?  That is why I was looking for the constitution/by laws to nail it down.  Apparently, next year they are eligible to participate with the 10 team format.

leatherneckcountry

Anyone know what happened to coach Irvin 
leatherneckcountry

Don’t let up in the second half get up big on them then let some guys rest for Monday 
leatherneckcountry

Just had a bunch of football recruits walk through.
wiu712

Western won the game 81-52.

Trenton Massner led the Western scoring with 20 points.  Luka Barisic had 17 points and 12 rebounds.  Will Carius and Colton Sandage each had 12 points.  Tamell Pearson had 10 points.

Attendance at Western Hall = 589

Next game will be at Western Hall on Monday (Jan 31) vs UMKC.  Game time is 6:00 PM.

On the WILP, 98.1 FM Pre-Game Show, Will Thomas said that Saint Thomas will not be participating in the Summit League Tournament this year.  They will be at the conference tournament next year (March 2023).  They would still have a 4-year Wait Period before being eligible for the NCAA Tournament.  Should Saint Thomas win the conference tournament during their Wait Period, the regular-season conference champion would get the A.Q. spot.

sealhall74

A win vs the 'Roos Monday night puts us a game out of the 3 seed slot and 2 games up on the 8 seed slot.  Not a bad place to be at this point in the season.  Assuming the top two seeds go to SDSU and ORU, I would be more than happy with a 3, 4 or 5.