2023 Recruits

letsgonecks

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:31 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:32 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:16 am I thought we already had a 2023 thread started, but I couldn't find it?  We had several offers and 1 commit in the last week.  Off and running! 

Jayden Whitaker on Twitter: "100% Committed! @WIUfootball @HendricksonWIU @schaferwiu https://t.co/zPZbV0vl3L" / Twitter

Looks like he stepped back from his commitment after getting serious interest from some MAC schools and even a couple of Big 10 schools.
https://www.statechampsnetwork.com/chan ... yoff-push/

Not surprised.  Rarely see kids stick to commitments they make in the summer.  

Especially when they have a really good senior year and the team they committed to is 0-10 and likely to go winless.

I was worried about him a few weeks back when I checked on his season.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Jeremiah Clements, 6'3" 330lb Tackle from Peoria Manual HS
No other DI offers.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

So it looks like so far we only lost the QBs verbal so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A handful of offers went out yesterday that I saw posted on twitter. All were guys in the portal, including a Senior QB Marquez McCray from Sacred Heart University (FCS, NEC).
McCray is already familiar with one of our top receivers from this last year. This is from SHU's 2020 roster...
sealhall74

The environment is so complicated now with the portal and covid year(s) in play that a HS recruit really needs to make an educated decision when it comes to committing to a program.  Only a select few players will see much playing time in their first year or maybe two, that is a given.  But after that, you want a decent chance to step on the field and do some good things.  Little hard to do that when a coach goes after portal players year after year.  That could throw a wrench in the confidence of many who came in as a freshman and eventually force them into the very same portal route.  Moral of the story is simple:  Be the best you can be at your position from day one.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:44 am The environment is so complicated now with the portal and covid year(s) in play that a HS recruit really needs to make an educated decision when it comes to committing to a program.  Only a select few players will see much playing time in their first year or maybe two, that is a given.  But after that, you want a decent chance to step on the field and do some good things.  Little hard to do that when a coach goes after portal players year after year.  That could throw a wrench in the confidence of many who came in as a freshman and eventually force them into the very same portal route.  Moral of the story is simple:  Be the best you can be at your position from day one.

I think that in general, coaches are going to go after portal players for positions that they don't have much depth at currently. If a kid doesn't have a problem with the coaching staff or school, then it often would probably be in their interest to stick it out at the school rather than transferring. Unless there's a large difference in talent or work ethic, I'd imagine a coach would much prefer having a kid that came up through their program rather than bringing in a transfer for that spot. I'm hoping that once the COVID year stuff has worked it's way through the system and everyone has had a chance to get used to the transfer rules, that things will settle down somewhat. I'm not a fan of this whole "switch out half of the team" every year thing.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:45 am
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:44 am The environment is so complicated now with the portal and covid year(s) in play that a HS recruit really needs to make an educated decision when it comes to committing to a program.  Only a select few players will see much playing time in their first year or maybe two, that is a given.  But after that, you want a decent chance to step on the field and do some good things.  Little hard to do that when a coach goes after portal players year after year.  That could throw a wrench in the confidence of many who came in as a freshman and eventually force them into the very same portal route.  Moral of the story is simple:  Be the best you can be at your position from day one.

I think that in general, coaches are going to go after portal players for positions that they don't have much depth at currently. If a kid doesn't have a problem with the coaching staff or school, then it often would probably be in their interest to stick it out at the school rather than transferring. Unless there's a large difference in talent or work ethic, I'd imagine a coach would much prefer having a kid that came up through their program rather than bringing in a transfer for that spot. I'm hoping that once the COVID year stuff has worked it's way through the system and everyone has had a chance to get used to the transfer rules, that things will settle down somewhat. I'm not a fan of this whole "switch out half of the team" every year thing.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sealhall74

An interesting question to ask is this:  Does a college football squad need to be over 100 bodies?  I think you could do a decent job with about 70-75 and keep more of them happy and strong.   Coaches/trainers could then give each more personal attention.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:43 am An interesting question to ask is this:  Does a college football squad need to be over 100 bodies?  I think you could do a decent job with about 70-75 and keep more of them happy and strong.   Coaches/trainers could then give each more personal attention.

Absolutely agree!!
L'Étranger

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:43 am An interesting question to ask is this:  Does a college football squad need to be over 100 bodies?  I think you could do a decent job with about 70-75 and keep more of them happy and strong.   Coaches/trainers could then give each more personal attention.

Doing so would make 0-11 a Macomb tradition. You'd kill starters. You'd have no scout team. No depth in games. And not much would top announcing to recruits that WIU wasn't up for being D1 like not fielding a full team, so you'd have both fewer and lower quality players.