R U Ready For Some PickEm?

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
sealhall74

Personally, I would love a top level PickEm button that takes us to a weekly contest. For now, I will post a link to my own "PickEm" game for the upcoming football season. Hopefully some of you will join in. Here is the promo/details:

Pigskin Parlay (formerly Pigskin Prognosticator) returns for the 2014 campaign with expanded scope out to the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, and OVC conferences. There is a separate contest for each conference (feel free to register and play in them all to increase your chances of winning). Total of 15 games per week to include all conference team games plus enough top matchups drawn from the other conferences to fill the slate. Once intra-conference games get underway, the slate will probably be cut back to 12 games. The Saturday 8/23 FCS kickoff game between Sam Houston State and Eastern Washington is on the week 1 slate. We still have a PowerPick and StatPick game each week to make things interesting. NEW features include integrated Massey game pick help along with stat-based spider and tree map charts for the conference team matchups. And of course the season would not be complete without an FCS playoff bracket challenge with potential added reward for those who played each week of the regular season. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COST OR HIDDEN FEES TO PLAY PIGSKIN PARLAY. The only thing you must give up is a few minutes of your time each week and your email address so I can deliver the goods. What are the goods? The weekly "All Conferences" winner gets $50 restaurant gift certificate and other conference winners get $25 certificate. Overall conference regular season winners gets $50. I am also willing to donate your winnings in your name to your team "Booster Club" or other charity.

So give Pigskin Parlay a shot. I have added a "Guest" player account (password=guest) so you can take it for a trial spin:

P.S. This project is 100% Google Docs and 99.44% purely a labor of love for a now retired IT guy and WIU Leatherneck fan who needs to keep his computer skills reasonably sharp just in case he needs to come off the bench and get back in the game. That guy is keeping his fingers crossed that some day he will have this project running itself so he can spend more time traveling around the country to follow his favorite team.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Top-level button? I can do that.

Where do you want it linked to...directly to the Google Doc page? To this thread? Somewhere else?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST, linking to the main Google Doc web page would be ideal. We could give that a shot and see how things behave if someone logs in to my app from there. I don't think it should cause any problems with this site as everything should hopefully open up a new tab window. You don't need to be logged in to LeatherneckNation to use my app but we don't want it to mess up things if you are. I also have links on that page to all other conference apps and hope to have those turned on very shortly.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok, I added a quick button to the left side navigation on the front page. This afternoon I'll see about getting something up near the top or something in the forum.
sealhall74

ST, looks good. When I said "Top Level" I just meant something outside of a forum thread. Wherever you think is best is good enough for me.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sorry, I should have clarified.
For me, there's actually two websites that are connected and look nearly identical.
There's the front page and social media page (and eventually, a few other pages).
Then there's the forum site.

At this point, the code, content, design, etc. for the two "sites" are actually two separate things. If I wanted to update something in the title bar on the front page, I'd do that, then go dig through the code for the forum and put it in there also. What I meant is that I'd put the link on the front page for now, and then when I get a chance, get something that shows up on all of the forum pages as well.

I have now added a link at the top of the page on the right side, where the Forum and Social Media links are...now there's the MVFC Pigskin Pick'em link. It'll show up on all of the pages within the forum.

That should help with the visibility somewhat.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Quick question: are you allowing people to submit picks cross-conference? As in, can I (or any other Leatherneck fan) go in and set up picks for the OVC, Big Sky, etc.? Or do you prefer that we stick with our own conference (or just posting picks for one conference)?
WIU0812

ST just so you know I was logging in an it appears there is an issue with the small icons that come up next to the news feeds as they were blow up to a about a 3 x 3 inch square instead of the normal tiny size of about a dime.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Quick question: are you allowing people to submit picks cross-conference? As in, can I (or any other Leatherneck fan) go in and set up picks for the OVC, Big Sky, etc.? Or do you prefer that we stick with our own conference (or just posting picks for one conference)?
I have no way to prevent that from happening and assume a few players will cross their own conference boundary (the links to the other conferences are right there on the main page). On the flip side, the rewards are not that great so I also believe not too many people will spend extra time picking teams they are totally unfamiliar with although they will get some familiarity with them as the season progresses. The system is programmed to always bring in the most competitive (from a Massey perspective) out-of-conference games each week. It could be two really good teams or two evenly matched lower position teams. I obviously can override that if necessary and could even add in some Power Conference games now and then if I want to. Once the conference games get started, the MVFC and OVC might only have 4 or 5 games to pick on so I need a good supply of other game to mix in.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:ST just so you know I was logging in an it appears there is an issue with the small icons that come up next to the news feeds as they were blow up to a about a 3 x 3 inch square instead of the normal tiny size of about a dime.
Yup, I noticed. I was trying to fix part of the front page news feed (with the new athletics website) and in the process of making certain images smaller, also made the icons huge. I've corrected it and it should work itself out once the cache refreshes on the server (might take a few minutes or so).