9/1/22 - at UT-Martin

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 pm We have our QB in Davenport and some solid WR's.  We need our D to get better. 

Never been a fan of the 3-4 in college, unless you're a major program that can recruit whoever you want.  Makes you small up front against the run and exposes OLBs in coverage.  I'd be a huge fan if it lead to tons of pressure off the edge, but doesn't for WIU.

Agreed. Clean a few things up and our passing game is solid. Run game was still a bit suspect, but I think this game was more about feeling things out, seeing how the guys would react in an actual game, figuring out who the QB was going to be.

Defensively we gave up a lot obviously, although UT-Martin is a pretty good team (ranked ~15 most places) and have one of the best O-Linemen in the FCS. Still have a lot to work to do on that side of the ball.
Also, two blocked placekicks is somewhat worrisome.

Next up is Minnesota...a game we really shouldn't even be competitive in...so there's nothing to lose.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I was hoping to see some literal "pounding of the rock" but if you cant run the ball and cant stop the run, always a long night ahead.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

So Davenport should have started the game and we make this more of a game than it was. I will be curious to see how UTM does against MSU next week because both teams are very good.

No question, having a new coaching staff, a whole new roster (basically) we are gonna have issues.

Although we lost tonight, I feel like tonight was the best offense (2nd half) I’ve seen in 4 years.

By week 3, I hope/expect our DL to do better (yes UTM has a great OL) but we gave up 260 yards on the ground. We can’t win games with that total.

I am very hopeful for this new regime and game 1 I already like what I saw. Go Necks!

Lastly, my friends that came with me went to UTM’s website and realized that they didn’t spell political correctly on their website for their political science degrees. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

Tennessee-Martin wins the game 42-25

Attendance at Tennessee-Martin = 5,127
leatherneckcountry

Brantley looks like he could be matchup nightmare.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:38 pm So Davenport should have started the game and we make this more of a game than it was. I will be curious to see how UTM does against MSU next week because both teams are very good.

No question, having a new coaching staff, a whole new roster (basically) we are gonna have issues.

Although we lost tonight, I feel like tonight was the best offense (2nd half) I’ve seen in 4 years.

By week 3, I hope/expect our DL to do better (yes UTM has a great OL) but we gave up 260 yards on the ground. We can’t win games with that total.

I am very hopeful for this new regime and game 1 I already like what I saw. Go Necks!

Lastly, my friends that came with me went to UTM’s website and realized that they didn’t spell political correctly on their website for their political science degrees. Image

I agree with all of what you said about the football team, but also, as a web developer, mistakes like that are pretty easy to make. We fix them whenever we notice them, but when there's a crew of 3 people that are supposed to manage 10k+ pages (that's what we have, idk about UTM) sometimes you'll miss something. I can pretty much promise if you dug around on our site a bit, we'd have little errors like that as well.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Lots to correct and maybe some personnel changes needed at a few spots, but team did some good things and they should get better and be competitive.

Martin was the better team, more refined and smooth on offense and thought they did a great job calling plays. 

Refs didn't lose us the game, but some suspect shit.  The whole game it felt like we got some crap spots and they seemed to be getting some generous ones.  Thought probably just the angles, so rewatched today and plenty of full yard differences.  Most notable was their second scoring drive.  Not even going to talk about the clear grounding without a receiver within 15 yards, but the next play.  Receiver catches the ball at our 38, starts to come back on his own, but is contacted by the DB and goes down at the 40.  Ok, so contact at 37.5/38 and somehow it's spotted on the 36.  Play happens on their sideline, so not a peep from WIU.  Next play is a 3rd down run right at the marker.  They don't even measure, but ok and maybe they run a different play 2 yards back and still get it.  Anyways, they get the first that wouldn't have been with the same play and proper spotting of the ball. Next play on 1st instead of 4th, is a TD and who knows what happens, but shit like that makes a huge difference when they get 2 calls/no-calls in 1 drive that takes the lead.

I get the flag on Brantley as he did push down on the defenders head right before the half.  I also get why he did it.  Initially the defender wasn't sure of the call and Brantley wasn't either and kept moving, but the defender was on way too long and even giving a little extra twist at the end that caused the Brantley's reaction.  Should have been offsetting, but Ross should have played the ball on the next play and it wouldn't have mattered.  Plus, why is Watts the one trailing the receiver on that play.

They were the better team and not questioning their win as we have lots to improve on, but could have been a closer game.  I'm sure UTM could find similar stuff that helped improve our game they didnt like.

sealhall74

I assume no Coach's Show during the week or at least I have not heard anything.  But if you are not going to do that, we at least need the game write ups to include coach's comments about what worked and what didn't.  Just my 2 cents but I am sticking with it. Also, is the online Western Courier moth-balled?  No new content since spring.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 am
WIU2DC wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:38 pm So Davenport should have started the game and we make this more of a game than it was. I will be curious to see how UTM does against MSU next week because both teams are very good.

I agree with all of what you said about the football team, but also, as a web developer, mistakes like that are pretty easy to make. We fix them whenever we notice them, but when there's a crew of 3 people that are supposed to manage 10k+ pages (that's what we have, idk about UTM) sometimes you'll miss something. I can pretty much promise if you dug around on our site a bit, we'd have little errors like that as well.

WIU2DC, I'm not sure what your timeline as a WIU fan is, but in 2001, we played 6 basketball games with Illinois spelled Illinios on our jerseys before anyone took notice.  Wish that was a joke, but it's not.  You'd still think spellcheck would catch something like the above this day and age, but they're everywhere.
wiu712

letsgonecks wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 am
In 2001, we played 6 basketball games with Illinois spelled Illinios on our jerseys before anyone took notice.  Wish that was a joke, but it's not.  You'd still think spellcheck would catch something like the above this day and age, but they're everywhere.

Not one of Western's finer moments.  And this jersey snafu was the object of jokes on the late-night TV shows.