9/1/22 - at UT-Martin

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ImageATImage

Game Date/Time: Thursday, September 1, at 6:30 PM
Media: ESPN+, Leatherneck Sports Network Radio
Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=407854
Game Notes: Western Illinois, UT-Martin

I suppose it's time to get rolling with these. We are currently 13 days out from our game at UT-Martin, a team that went 9-2 overall last season, beating #10 Missouri State in the first round of the playoffs (32-31) and losing at #8 Montana State, 26-7. Another notable game for the Skyhawks last season was a 34-31 win at #9 Jacksonville State. It looks like from last year, UTM have lost their top rusher (RB Peyton Logan, who is now playing in the CFL), their QB (GS Keon Howard), and two of their top receivers (who were also grad students). That being said, UT-Martin has been picked as the favorites to win the OVC this year, and have the following players on Preseason All-OVC Team list:
  • RB Zak Wallace
  • WR Colton Dowell
  • OL Matthan Hatchie
  • OL Gavin Olson
  • OL Lamar Morgan
  • LB John H. Ford II
  • CB Oshae Baker
  • S Deven Sims
  • DB Shaun Lewis as a "Newcomer to Watch"
Rankings
Stats Perform FCS Top 25: UTM at #18, WIU unranked
Sagarin Ratings (includes all DI teams): UTM at #169, WIU at #179
Massey Composite: UTM at #25, WIU at #56

Massey Ratings has us about even with each other (although Massey generally puts a lot of weight towards strength of schedule, so we get boosted by being in the MVFC), with a predicted score of 28-27 for WIU: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=935074937

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Didn’t UTM just lose a big player like 2 weeks ago to the transfer portal or something like that too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:20 am Didn’t UTM just lose a big player like 2 weeks ago to the transfer portal or something like that too?

I believe that'd be this guy: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -michigan/
Anoma finally broke through with significant playing time in 2021 for UT-Martin, notching 36 tackles, nine TFLs and 6.5 sacks for the Skyhawks. He was named to the Ohio Valley Conference All-Newcomer Team for his role in his team's run to the OVC championship and second round of the FCS playoffs.
He grad transferred to Michigan last week.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:20 am Didn’t UTM just lose a big player like 2 weeks ago to the transfer portal or something like that too?

I believe that'd be this guy: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -michigan/
Anoma finally broke through with significant playing time in 2021 for UT-Martin, notching 36 tackles, nine TFLs and 6.5 sacks for the Skyhawks. He was named to the Ohio Valley Conference All-Newcomer Team for his role in his team's run to the OVC championship and second round of the FCS playoffs.
He grad transferred to Michigan last week.
Yep this guy. Not upset we won’t face him in two weeks! Haha.

sealhall74

Games Notes are here.  https://goleathernecks.com/documents/20 ... S_2022.pdf

I don't think I have ever seen a depth chart with the "OR".  Looks like a photo finish to see who the starting QB is going to be.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 am Games Notes are here.  https://goleathernecks.com/documents/20 ... S_2022.pdf

I don't think I have ever seen a depth chart with the "OR".  Looks like a photo finish to see who the starting QB is going to be.

The OR is actually pretty common for depth charts.  Not too many with multiple for 1 position, let alone 2 with multiple (QB/RB).

Will be interesting to see who actually starts and who's the next in.  In years past, the depth chart was rarely accurate and maybe that had to do with situational decisions.

Do we have any info on injuries coming out of camp?  Going through the pictures on twitter and the site, there were a few people randomly not in pads, but only 1 person I noticed with crutches.  Was in the background, but looked to likely be a DL.

Wouldn't have guessed Parker, Reeter or Lee starting on offense, but not really much to go off of.  Detiveaux looked to be getting reps with potential starters in some videos, so not super shocked, but didn't think Limehouse was going to be starting at safety and few shocks at the backups throughout the D.  Again, not going off much.

No return specials listed, so we'll have to see, but think we have some potential exciting return guys.

Can't wait!!!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

UT-Martin has also posted their game notes, in case anyone wants to do a little light "scouting": https://www.leathernecknation.net/files ... G1_WIU.pdf

meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 am Games Notes are here.  https://goleathernecks.com/documents/20 ... S_2022.pdf

I'm surprised the local kid who transferred from Memphis isnt listed as one of the options at QB, is he just not that good? injuries? Anyway am too interested to see how the QB derby shakes out.
Western_101

I like that UT-Martin is using WESTERN's preferred logo. The WESTERN "W"with serifs font is in line with G-5 MAC branding and P-5 B1G branding.

I obviously prefer the bulldog helmet. However the Understated bold "W" in most applications projects power in simplicity. We don't have to have a ridiculous fighting animal to convey a sense of toughness. Most of that style has waned anyway, at least in official school branding. 

Yup we are all fighting to be a brand. I think Western will have a Renaissance, be it holding at 8,000 or 10,000.  At least WIU dosen't "cook the books" with enrollment. Eastern Illinois University Includes in their university total enrollment over 2,000 children or young adults that are high school students.  :D :lol:

Leatherneck57

Western_101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:42 am I like that UT-Martin is using WESTERN's preferred logo. The WESTERN "W"with serifs font is in line with G-5 MAC branding and P-5 B1G branding.

I obviously prefer the bulldog helmet. However the Understated bold "W" in most applications projects power in simplicity. We don't have to have a ridiculous fighting animal to convey a sense of toughness. Most of that style has waned anyway, at least in official school branding. 

Yup we are all fighting to be a brand. I think Western will have a Renaissance, be it holding at 8,000 or 10,000.  At least WIU dosen't "cook the books" with enrollment. Eastern Illinois University Includes in their university total enrollment over 2,000 children or young adults that are high school students.  :D :lol:

The Necks are going with only the white helmets with the logo on one side and the number on the other side this year due to budget constraints. 
Attachments
New logo and number on helmet.
New logo and number on helmet.
8D6DA4B8-761F-4614-808F-65D8591B9243.jpeg (309.7 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
17CF2875-F303-4469-8B99-00ABDF3C2D90.jpeg
17CF2875-F303-4469-8B99-00ABDF3C2D90.jpeg (254.27 KiB) Viewed 1381 times