9/10/22 - at Minnesota

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ImageATImage

Game Date/Time: Saturday, September 10, at 11 AM
Media: BTN, Leatherneck Sports Network Radio
Live Stats: https://gophersports.com/sidearmstats/football/summary
Game Notes and Info: Western Illinois | Minnesota

I'm going to be pretty busy over the next couple of weeks, but I wanted to go ahead and post this so you guys can discuss this next weekend's game. Leathernecks are traveling up to Minneapolis to take on the University of Minnesota. If all goes well, we'll put out a solid performance, come away with no injuries, and cash our nearly 1/2 million dollar check. Last weekend, Minnesota rolled New Mexico State 38-0. Now, NM State is not a very good team, but they are a FBS team, so I can't imagine that we'll have too much of a better result, but I hope that we're at least able to put a few points on the board.

History
WIU has played Minnesota once, in 2013, when Coach Jerry Kill's Minnesota team won 29-12. WIU's history against HC PJ Fleck goes back a little further though. Fleck played WR at Northern Illinois from 1999-2003. During that span, WIU played NIU twice, winning both games: 27-21 in 1999 and 29-26 in 2003. In 2009, WIU played NIU again, but by this time Fleck had spent a couple of years in the NFL, then had gotten into the coaching ranks and was a WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator. NIU won that game 41-7.

Rankings
Sagarin Ratings (includes all 261 DI teams): Minnesota is #40, WIU is #187
Massey Composite: Minnesota is #15 in the FBS, WIU is #66 in the FCS

Massey Ratings has Minnesota winning this game 42-6: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=935075022

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

The real question is does coach roll with Olga first half and then Davenport second half? Or is this Davenport show now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am The real question is does coach roll with Olga first half and then Davenport second half? Or is this Davenport show now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think the result is clear.  You have to also figure in how much time a guy got facing the best that UTM had, not just the 2nd/3rd stringers.  UTM pulled their starting QB very early.  I assume same for eveyone else.

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

Thought Ogala played decent, but there shouldn't be a question here.  Davenport's a beast and his ability to run should open this offense up bigtime.  He can lower the shoulder on designed runs and he can scramble to create plays down field.  He could potentially open up the middle for our RB's by holding the edge and/or freezing the LB's who have to worry about him keeping.  The fact that Ogala showed he's capable even helps the cause, as you don't have to play it overly safe with your starter and worry about him running the ball and taking hits.  Again, he's a beast (6-3 232 - former 220lb state wrestling champ).

I think the biggest question this week and going forward, is how do we limiting the run?  We got it handed to us by Martin on the ground and last week Minn took it to Coach Kill and New Mexico State bigtime.  Ross has been hit or miss in his tenure, but Mckie played well and I say we put all the pressure on them and stack the box.  Go big upfront with some variation of a 4-3 and see if we can limit the ground production and force them into passing.  

I know are chances are limited and I know we could focus on the run and give up 500 yards passing, but stopping the run has to be our focus this game and this year.  Didn't seem to be capable with the current alignment.     

sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 am Thought Ogala played decent, but there shouldn't be a question here.  Davenport's a beast and his ability to run should open this offense up bigtime.  He can lower the shoulder on designed runs and he can scramble to create plays down field.  He could potentially open up the middle for our RB's by holding the edge and/or freezing the LB's who have to worry about him keeping.  The fact that Ogala showed he's capable even helps the cause, as you don't have to play it overly safe with your starter and worry about him running the ball and taking hits.  Again, he's a beast (6-3 232 - former 220lb state wrestling champ).

I think the biggest question this week and going forward, is how do we limiting the run?  We got it handed to us by Martin on the ground and last week Minn took it to Coach Kill and New Mexico State bigtime.  Ross has been hit or miss in his tenure, but Mckie played well and I say we put all the pressure on them and stack the box.  Go big upfront with some variation of a 4-3 and see if we can limit the ground production and force them into passing.  

I know are chances are limited and I know we could focus on the run and give up 500 yards passing, but stopping the run has to be our focus this game and this year.  Didn't seem to be capable with the current alignment.     

Strength of Davenport to me is his ability to throw on the move. I would try to leverage that to the max.  I love to see a QB get 50-60 yards a game on the ground but I would rather it be demoralizing scrambles for first downs as opposed to designed runs.
jtrinaldi

Looking like it'll be a rainy one, excited to be going to this game!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Four busses to haul the troops this week. " I expect four trips to the red zone, not settling for anything less." said Rock.
wiu712

Western's game at Minnesota will be televised on one of the Big Ten Network channels. They have 4 channels, so you need to know the correct one to find the Western game.

The Western vs Minnesota game is at 11:00 AM.

The Big Ten Network is televising 2 games at 11:00 AM: Western vs Minnesota and Arkansas State at Ohio State.

To find the correct channel for the Western game, go to the Big Ten Network Game Finder. Then enter your Zip Code, and then your TV Service Provider.
https://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

The game will also be available on the Fox Sports App: https://www.foxsports.com/live

The game will also be on WILP Radio, 98.1 FM.

Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:27 pm Western's game at Minnesota will be televised on one of the Big Ten Network channels. They have 4 channels, so you need to know the correct one to find the Western game.

The Western vs Minnesota game is at 11:00 AM.

The Big Ten Network is televising 2 games at 11:00 AM: Western vs Minnesota and Arkansas State at Ohio State.

To find the correct channel for the Western game, go to the Big Ten Network Game Finder. Then enter your Zip Code, and then your TV Service Provider.
https://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

The game will also be available on the Fox Sports App: https://www.foxsports.com/live

The game will also be on WILP Radio, 98.1 FM.

For Comcast/Xfinity in Macomb
channel 692 or 1316 (HD) and FOX Sports